Page 1 of 1

Symptoms of Brumation?

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:37 pm
by ashnic05
Hi All, Just wondering what the symptoms are of a bts starting brumation? My bts has been sleeping a lot lately and will go over 24 hrs without heating up AT ALL if I let him. I've been waking him up and moving him so he can heat up a bit at least once a day but he usually moves within 10 min or so back to where he was sleeping and will remain there. I am a new bts owner and have zero experience with brumation and want to make sure my bts is not lethargic but just trying to hibernate. My house never goes below 70 degrees (for his sake) and all his temps and humidity levels are ideal. His light is on for about 12 hours a day. He doesn't sneeze irregularly nor does he have any discharge from his eyes or nose (no respiratory infection) so I don't see any other reason for him to be so sleepy. He's not emaciated either and eats well (I feed him about 2 tablespoons each time, twice a week). I read somewhere that they usually hibernate from Nov. to Feb. Is this normal for a bts? Does this sound like a bts trying to hibernate? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Symptoms of Brumation?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:41 am
by Coomassie
Totally normal. Skinks don't necessarily need a temperature drop to start burmation. I don't ever plan on burmating Coomassie, he just does it. He can sense it is time for a really long nap and just sort of disappears under the substrate (normally he sleeps in his cork log). I just let him sleep. He knows when feed day is so if he doesn't come out, I don't feed him.

Re: Symptoms of Brumation?

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 am
by ashnic05
What a relief! Glad to know its normal :) How long does it normally last for your bts?

Re: Symptoms of Brumation?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 am
by Coomassie
He usually wakes up by the end of Feb or beginning of March. I do dig him up on occasion to make sure he is ok (I'm super paranoid) but that isn't necessary. If there is a prolonged warm spell, he will some times wake up early.