How do you grind up egg shells?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
dustypaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 am
Country: USA

How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby dustypaws » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 pm

I know that it's a duh question, but I'm not sure just how fine you grind the egg shells. :helpme:
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby tylociraptor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 pm

You can use a mortar and pestle to do that, but its easier just to buy calcium + d3 at the store ;)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm

If I run them through the food processor I get tiny little chips. Or if I use mortal & pestle I get a pretty fine powder. Both are fine to use.
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Bluish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I use mortar and pestle and my magic bullet coffee grinder attachment.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Rani-May » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 pm

i just blend them then add to the food mix. goes down a treat. Some eat the shell if you just place the egg right in front of them straight from the fridge, though they might need some help with the first crack lol.
User avatar
dustypaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 am
Country: USA

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby dustypaws » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 am

I'll give it a try. Ard is super picky even though he appears (super plumpness) that he eats just about anything. He's so weird that I recently took out the half log and replaced it with a cool PVC pipe and instead of crawling through it he kept going around it. Once I put back his log, he was in it. Go figure :noknow:
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Rani-May » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Haha,he got use to his log and loved his log... fussy lil guy :lol:
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 pm

I crushed down egg shells recently, but they weren't literally powder like.. so I got scared and threw it out lol how are they SUPPOSED to look like when you grind them up? I spent like.. half an hour on those things but the end result wasn't actual powder. :/
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Rani-May » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 pm

mine is barely ever powder like. mine usually has bits and small chunks, obviously not very big though. It wont harm them if they are small bits. Like i said before, some skinks eat an egg straight from the fridge, shell and all and i can guarantee that the skink doesn't grind them up himself before hand :lol: so dont stress too much. I prefer mine as small as possible still though but i do only use a blender to do so, so it is never a fine powder
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks, Rani-May :}
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby Rani-May » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 pm

AnnaMonroe wrote:Thanks, Rani-May :}


welcome :D
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby El Lobo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:08 am

If they are dried in a very slow oven they will grind down a lot finer.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
dustypaws
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:28 am
Country: USA

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby dustypaws » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:01 am

I'll give the oven drying a try as well. Thanks!
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:46 pm

AnnaMonroe wrote:I crushed down egg shells recently, but they weren't literally powder like.. so I got scared and threw it out lol how are they SUPPOSED to look like when you grind them up? I spent like.. half an hour on those things but the end result wasn't actual powder. :/


I use a coffee grinder and they turn to powder, but don't worry if its not perfect
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: How do you grind up egg shells?

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 pm

I would use one too, but we don't have one of those because none of us drink coffee lol :/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 201 guests