New to forum and skink keeping.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:30 pm

This is my first thread on this forum. I hope to learn a bit more about these guys from you skinky people. I was asked to share my pictures of my skink enclosure here from my friend, Melanie (Fatal-S). This is one of her babies, and we adore her/him.

It's a 4x2x2 Melamine enclosure that I got off a friend which was pretty much just a wooden box for a python. I had alot of work to do on it before it was skink ready but I think it turned out pretty nice so far. I added vents because it didn't have anything for ventilation at all. I also had to wire it up for a heat bulb.

Any other suggestions?

Image

Image

Image

Image

Here's some pictures after the build... I have nothing from before but it was pretty gross. I'm surprised I got it clean.

Image

Image
Last edited by snakeyez on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm

How could I forget? This is our skink. Fyre.

Image

Image
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Again, I love the setup. So much stuff to climb on, under, and around. She's going to have so much fun living with you!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Richard.C » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Looks great,shes gunna love that,lots of options in there

Nice looking northern to
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Niels D » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 am

snakeyez wrote: you stinky people



:mrgreen:

Nice setup!
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:32 am

Niels D wrote:
snakeyez wrote: you stinky people



:mrgreen:

Nice setup!



Supposed to say skinky... I uploaded these pictures from my tablet and it's go that stupid auto-correct lol.

Thanks for the compliments.
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Coomassie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 am

Awesome setup and beautiful baby! Best of luck with your new little guy.
Cay T.
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby CricketForestwater » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 am

Welcome to the forums! What a pretty little baby, looks almost golden :D
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Niels D » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 am

snakeyez wrote:

Supposed to say skinky...
Thanks for the compliments.


Stinky, skinky... in my case you're right either way. Went for a beer yesterday and I haven't taken a shower yet...
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Karen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am

Looks like a skink playground in there! Beautiful skink too. Love the zipper stripes down the back.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone. I like to provide natural enclosures for all my critters where I can. I'll be working on a bunch of my asian ratsnake enclosures as well soon. Recently built an indoor pond for our turtle too.
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Niels D » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:43 am

Pictures please! :ohyes:
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Alioop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:57 am

Melanie has been producing some awesome babies, congrats on getting one. You won't be disappointed! I agree with Mel, your setup is FANTASTIC. Perfect for a baby- with all of that stuff to climb around on and hide under.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

Alioop wrote:Melanie has been producing some awesome babies, congrats on getting one. You won't be disappointed! I agree with Mel, your setup is FANTASTIC. Perfect for a baby- with all of that stuff to climb around on and hide under.


Thanks. As the little guy gets bigger I'll remove some of the smaller hiding places and add some bigger peices of wood to bask on and such. Would these dimensions be suitable for an adult? From the research I have done, yes. Any thoughts?
User avatar
Rhianimal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 am
Country:
Location: Canada

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby Rhianimal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:19 pm

snakeyez wrote:Thanks. As the little guy gets bigger I'll remove some of the smaller hiding places and add some bigger peices of wood to bask on and such. Would these dimensions be suitable for an adult? From the research I have done, yes. Any thoughts?

It'll be great for a BTS as an adult. Minimum cage size is about 3x1.5x1.5, so you're doing even better.
User avatar
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
Country:
Location: NB, Canada

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby tylociraptor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 am

I'm curious as to how you guys manage to use Melamine without it bowing, rotting, or otherwise becoming quickly uninhabitable for reptiles. From what I know, this material soaks up water, and is very weak, not really suitable for long-term caging. Did you use some kind of a coating, or maybe a plastic kind?
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby LarissaLurid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:46 am

Cage set up looks great!
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
snakeyez
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm
Country:
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: New to forum and skink keeping.

Postby snakeyez » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am

tylociraptor wrote:I'm curious as to how you guys manage to use Melamine without it bowing, rotting, or otherwise becoming quickly uninhabitable for reptiles. From what I know, this material soaks up water, and is very weak, not really suitable for long-term caging. Did you use some kind of a coating, or maybe a plastic kind?


This melamine is 3/4" thick and it's built quite strong. My enclosure is quite dry and shouldn't swell all that much. If it does, I will line it with lenolium or something like a shelf liner to keep the moisture on one side. That's what I did for my tortoise enclosure. There used to a large JCP in this enclosure that was kept alot more humid for 5+ years and it only bubbled a little bit which you can barely notice, which isn't that bad. All the corners are sealed with silicone as well.

When and if that time comes I can make some slight alterations.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 208 guests