Vision cage or 75gal tank?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
mjk19
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: USA Pennsylvania
Vision cage or 75gal tank?
Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you use or have used those reptile vision cages. If so, what do you think about them? I have a 75gal tank that my bts will go in. But I wasn't sure if these were better. Thanks a lot.
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Vision cage or 75gal tank?
mjk19 wrote:Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you use or have used those reptile vision cages. If so, what do you think about them? I have a 75gal tank that my bts will go in. But I wasn't sure if these were better. Thanks a lot.
what is the floor dimensions of the 75 gal tank? I don't use vision but I know there are people on this forum that do and love them.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
-
mjk19
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: USA Pennsylvania
Re: Vision cage or 75gal tank?
The 75gal dimensions are 48x18x21.
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Vision cage or 75gal tank?
mjk19 wrote:The 75gal dimensions are 48x18x21.
The 75 gal tank sounds good. Plenty of floor space.
There are definitely advantages to using a front opening tank like vision, boaphile, or any of the other brands. I find that skinks feel more secure from having only 1 side of the tank glass. Although you could just use a background to cover a few sides of your glass tank to address that issue. Also, Skinks feel safer when being approached from the front too, coming from above can be scary for them. The plastic tanks are usually much lighter which makes it way easier to clean than hauling around a heavy glass tank.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Vision cage or 75gal tank?
I don't have vision tanks but I have a less expensive similar type of tank. I find that my reptiles greatly prefer the front opening enclosures and the security of the tank. I would say if the vision cage has large enough dimensions to go that route.
Cay T.
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Vision cage or 75gal tank?
I always reccomend front-opening tanks for reptiles. Top opening tanks are fine if you have fish, or have nothing else, but for an animal you intend on handling, having a top opening cage is really not helpful at all. Generally, ok if it's a snake and you can hook it, but you can't hook skinks. If I came down over top of Misha, she would be frightened. But she is never frightened of my hand, and is infact curious at times, when I reach in to her from the front.
Lizards and snakes most common predator is birds of prey. When you reach over top of them, they feel like you're a predator just like that, and it stresses and frightens them. While they will 'get over it' once they are in your hand, I see no reason not to prevent it all together. Keep in mind vision isn't the only builder of front openers and there are others that you can get that are a better price, or even build your own (like I did)!
Lizards and snakes most common predator is birds of prey. When you reach over top of them, they feel like you're a predator just like that, and it stresses and frightens them. While they will 'get over it' once they are in your hand, I see no reason not to prevent it all together. Keep in mind vision isn't the only builder of front openers and there are others that you can get that are a better price, or even build your own (like I did)!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests
