Taurine?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Taurine?
I know that everyone says too much taurine (like how you should feed dog food instead of cat food) is unhealthy for lizards like skinks, but what exactly results from too much taurine? I have not seen too many definitive answers on the subject before.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Taurine?
I think the general consensus is that we don't know if the extra taurine will cause issues, thus prefer to use dog food over cat food.
Brad
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Taurine?
Alright, yea that's basically as far as I've ever heard about it, so I didn't know if there was more to it. I know I've heard some people argue and say to just use it anyway because there's not really proof it hurts them. Not like I was planning to use it anyway. lol Thanks though
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Taurine?
I use it sometimes. I love that it's usually cut up into tiny pieces. But basically what Brad said; I don't know if it would hurt so I usually use other things.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Taurine?
We all need taurine but cats can't synthesise it so cat food is required to be supplemented by additional taurine as a protection against blindness and heart disease. It does not seem to be suggested that BTS need extra and if they do receive extra from cat food, are there any side effects. Like many vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc there can be some level of toxicity from too much. With taurine it is suggested it has the potential to stimulate the hypothalamus.
In the absence of evidence that BTS have a need for more taurine than found in other foods such as dog food it is to each of us to decide as to how much we are prepared to feed. My opinion is that the occasional use of cat food probably isn't detrimental but to use it as a staple may be quite different.
In the absence of evidence that BTS have a need for more taurine than found in other foods such as dog food it is to each of us to decide as to how much we are prepared to feed. My opinion is that the occasional use of cat food probably isn't detrimental but to use it as a staple may be quite different.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 192 guests
