Finally got some youngsters

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Got these from a guy which had 8 Meraukes. He had 4 batches from 4 different females. I had my doubts about one animal, because he had the pattern of an IJ. His impressive size (biggest of them all except one enormous female) and his massive tail made me think that it could be a new Merauke. Now I have two unrelated animals. I didn't take an animal from the "IJ" male though.

This one was born on 04-08-2012:
Image
Image
This one on 25-08-2012:
Image
Image
Their temporary setup:
Image
Last edited by Niels D on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Who bred these do they have a website? These are absolutely beautiful!
WOOOOW!!!
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Love that second one! They're gorgeous. Congrats :D
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Don't know if it's okay to post a link to his site, so forgive me if I'm doing something illegal here. You see the big female and the "IJ male", but these are pictures from last year. Already told him it's not a good idea to house them together with eachother or a bearded dragon though his enclosures were really big. He's got himself a little pet store which looked pretty good (for a pet store..)

josgeurts.jouwweb.nl/foto-albums/paring-blauwtongskinken
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Did these babies come from that pairing?
If so the male was an IJ and the female was a Merauke, and the most beautiful female Merauke I've ever seen.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby donkeybuff » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I laughed so hard at the beardie watching them mate
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Rush » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Very impressive Merauke markings on them.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 am

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Did these babies come from that pairing?
If so the male was an IJ and the female was a Merauke, and the most beautiful female Merauke I've ever seen.


Niels D wrote: I had my doubts about one animal, because he had the pattern of an IJ. His impressive size (biggest of them all except one enormous female) and his massive tail made me think that it could be a new Merauke. I didn't take an animal from the "IJ" male though.


:wink:

The IJ male wasn't a real IJ either. He was way too big, because he was bigger than the other animals (except that beautiful female) with a massive tail. I've never seen an IJ looking like that, especially with such a tail. The female which he's mating with was the biggest Merauke.. well BTS actually.. I've ever seen, except for the father of two of my old skinks. Beautiful and big! Hope mine will reach a humongous size as well. If you ask me, size does matter! :mrgreen:
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am

On this side of the pond we would definitely call the male in those photos an IJ, the female a classic Merauke.

The "new" Merauke is used here to describe a skink with mostly-Merauke traits (dark forelegs with white speckles, one single line going down the back of the neck) but with bands that are thicker than normal and often the skink is more colourful that traditional Meraukes. Your first baby could possibly be described as a new Merauke here (slightly thicker bands and the forelegs aren't spotted) but I think most would just say Merauke. The second would be absolutely called classic Merauke here.

IJ traits include the very thick bands, very colourful, 3-5 lines down the back of the neck, and clean/mid-dark forelegs that may have speckles. IJs can have short or long tails.

I say here because none of these are actually described species differences, so the way we've sorted them may not be the same way you sort them. I do follow the idea of breed like-to-like, so I would never have paired such extremely different-looking animals. I aim to breed similar-looking animals from different bloodlines; I want to keep the variable looks without condensing the gene-pool.

Do you have any photos of the parents that produced your babies? And I would love to hear how you sort the species differences on your side of the pond :D
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Mel, if those babies came from the Merauke x IJ would you still call them classic Meraukes?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm

He already said they didn't. But if they had, I'd have to re-assess my view that Meraukes are separate from IJs. Of course I'd want to see them as adults (I do now too, I can't wait to see how they turn out!) but it would be a very interesting thing IMO.

I would love to see what babies the IJ/Merauke pairing did produce. Did they look like new Meraukes (helping the hybrid-theory)? Or like IJs? Or something else?
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:02 pm

I really liked the IJ patterned male with the enormous size, but I didn't want any offspring from it (!!!). I chose the ones coming from the animals with a typical Merauke look. I don't think we use another method for determing the subspecies. I just couldn't believe an IJ could reach that size, but I admit that he's got all the features of an IJ. Could he be a hybrid?

BTW, I've seen the offspring of the IJ male and the Merauke female. Their pics are on his site as well:

http://josgeurts.jouwweb.nl/foto-albums ... ongskinken
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Edit: Allas, checked with the man himself and he didn't know if the pictures of the little ones are the offspring from the IJ. Sorry guys!
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Fatal_S wrote:Do you have any photos of the parents that produced your babies? And I would love to hear how you sort the species differences on your side of the pond :D


I don't have any photos allas, but they looked a lot like the big female from the pictures, only smaller. One male looked a lot like the skink I bought (second one).
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Is it possible to import for the Netherlands?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Jeff » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Is it possible to import for the Netherlands?


Definitely, but it costs more than YOU can afford! :lol:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:20 am

We're not allowed to send animals from The Netherlands with the a parcel service. There are only a few companies which can legally transport animals, but they're even more expensive than shipping.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
realis88
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am
Country:
Location: indonesia

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby realis88 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:23 am

good enclosure
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby Niels D » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks! I've always kept them on coco peat, just like most of my animals (mostly amphibians). I'm using the peat that's sold as potting soil (100% biological without fertilizer) which is really cheap (6 Euro for 40 liters). The soil is a bit damp though, which is fine for frogs and such, but I have to dry it a little for the BTS. Don't want it to get to moist. The background was already in the tank when I bought it. I'm going to make my own background for the tank they're going to inhabit in the future. Love making backgrounds. I'm currently making one for an aquarium:

Image
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Finally got some youngsters

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 pm

How do you clean the background?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests