Page 1 of 1

Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:36 am
by Renee
So Cosmo has shed 2x since I brought him home and both times he didnt have clean sheds but rather it came off scale by scale and he needed help with toes and the ones on top of his head and it took him a good few days to finish. I was wondering if anyone has tried the shed ease bath from zilla or any other shed help product.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm
by Sarikazam
I was actually wondering about this too. For the most part both of my skinks shed scale by scale. I added a humid hide in my Meraukes too see if that would help and I noticed more 'sheets' of shed, but that could be just because I didn't give him much time to shed before giving him the humid hide.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:57 pm
by donkeybuff
I tried zoo med shed aid, but it didn't work as good as simply adding a humid hide.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:20 pm
by Renee
Thanks for the help. so hes got 2 hides in his tank one is a plastic cave (cool side) and the other is a half log(warm side). Which should i make a humid one and how?

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:03 pm
by dustypaws
When Ard is about to shed I increase the amount of moisture and mist the cage more often. This seems to help him along. I only have to check his tail tip which always seems to have some left over scales that have not come off. I have the Exo Terra Moonsoon unit but the timer malfunctioned and sprayed the entire contents into the cage. I manually turn it on and off when or use a spray bottle. Ard's cage has numerous places for him to rub against as well.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:16 pm
by Jeff
It is normal for some species of BTS to shed this way. Northerns, easterns, meraukes, indos, etc, shed scale by scale most of the time. If you are use to snakes, it might seem like there is something wrong, but it is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 pm
by Fatal_S
Shedding scale-by-scale is the norm :) What Jeff said.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:26 pm
by Renee
Ok Thanks a lot :) I was just concerned because he shed 2 weeks ago but when I picked him up today some more scales came off his back and the tip of his tail

Re: Shedding

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:35 pm
by El Lobo
As Fatal and Jeff said shedding in small pieces is normal with Shinglebacks being the general exception to the rule. One of my girls is what I would classify as a bad shedder, i.e. she seldom completely clears without some assistance. I have found Emu oil helps if it is rubbed over the shedding skin, left for a couple of hours when she will hopefully bask under the lamp and then a shallow warm bath will lift most off.

Re: Shedding

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm
by crm2000
I heard that to help my baby shed I can put in moistened sphagnum moss