Tank set up
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Grayson
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Georgia
Tank set up
I'm geting my first bts tommorow after noon. He is a 1 year old male northern Amd from the pics that I got of him he looks to be a pure bred for the most part. He has a fully set up 40 gal breeder will this be good for the rest of his life or will I need to up grade. I have built a screen out door enclosure for his UVB UVA intake and have a UVB buld I'n the tank also he said he is He's eating kale, some omnivore blend bearded dragon pellets, banana's, steamed veggies, and every once in a while a small thing of natural dog food for weight is his a good diet for him
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Tank set up
I prefer at least a 48x18x18 inch cage.
-
Grayson
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Georgia
Re: Tank set up
Ok what I am asking is would this be good for him or will I need a new tank soon
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- Alioop
- Loopy De Loop

- Posts: 2648
- Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Tank set up
36x18x18 is the minimum for an adult. Personally, my ideal cage size would be 48x24x18, and when I have the resources I'd like to build cages that size for my whole crew, but in the meantime I am content with 40 breeders.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-Alie-
1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
-
Grayson
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Georgia
Re: Tank set up
Ok I am planing on building a wooden setup that will be 46x20x18
-
Grayson
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Georgia
Re: Tank set up
I went and got him yesterday he had just shed and was finishing up this morning I named him dingo but he has a very mild case of mites what do I need to do to get rid of them I took out all his stuff baked it and changed substrate and got the ones that were walking around on him off outside the tank what do I need to do now? Should I be worked about poss ticks on him the guy I got him had a stick from the woods I'n there is this where he got them from ?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Tank set up
If he has mites you need a mite treatment. Mites don't go away, they need to be killed off, and you need to keep killing them off until there's no more eggs to hatch.
First, you need to take everything out of the tank. It needs to be sterile (paper towel substrate, cardboard hides, etc.) Then you treat the skink with a mite-treatment (Reptile Relief, Nix, etc). You'll have to treat several times over a month or more to kill off all the mites and the ones that are still eggs.
First, you need to take everything out of the tank. It needs to be sterile (paper towel substrate, cardboard hides, etc.) Then you treat the skink with a mite-treatment (Reptile Relief, Nix, etc). You'll have to treat several times over a month or more to kill off all the mites and the ones that are still eggs.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
Grayson
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Georgia
Re: Tank set up
Ok thanks like it looks like it is a mild case thanks I'm gonna get spray tonight
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 160 guests
