Page 1 of 1
First shed! Need some advice please!
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 pm
by dcsnowrider
So my Blue tongue Gus is about 3 weeks old now. He shed for the the first time 2 days ago and he still has some shed left over on his toes and on the bottom of one of his feet. I tried to get some off but hes so small I don't want to hurt him. his toes are too small to get the shed off and he squirms around when I touch his feet. What should I do?
Re: First shed! Need some advice please!
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:08 pm
by Jeff
You don't need to worry about it at all for a few days at least. It should come off on its own. It is normal for some to be stuck for a couple days. I have never had a baby that had trouble shedding. It seems to be much more of a problem with adults than young skinks.
If there is still some stuck in a couple days, you could soak him in 1/2" of warm water for 10 minutes or so. Even just holding a wet rag on the area for a few minutes would probably be enough to loosen it up. It should come off really easy.
Re: First shed! Need some advice please!
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:33 pm
by LarissaLurid
Yup I can't really add more to what Jeff said other than try misting the cage during shedding to help the process. :] I do that with my Merauke.
Re: First shed! Need some advice please!
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:40 pm
by dcsnowrider
ok thanks. Ill soak him in a day or so if the shed doesn't come off. It just scared me because I saw some awful pictures of deformed skinks because of them not completely shedding
Re: First shed! Need some advice please!
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 pm
by LarissaLurid
dcsnowrider wrote:ok thanks. Ill soak him in a day or so if the shed doesn't come off. It just scared me because I saw some awful pictures of deformed skinks because of them not completely shedding
Yea I know the feeling, when I first got mine when he was a few weeks old he had shed that stayed on his toes a bit. A few days is ok, but just make sure to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't come off do those things. As long as you are always careful to watch and make sure it comes off you'll never have problems with toes coming off or anything.