Page 1 of 1
New Bluies
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 pm
by Bluish
About a month ago I came home with a bluey after many years out of the hobby.
MY bluey was immediately named Carlos by my son. I brought home another one that my wife named Lupe. The naming of the third was also wrestled from my hands and she is Coco.
Maybe I'll get to name one of the babies if they breed.
Carlos is comfortable inside the house but get a little freaked out in the garden. Lupe is comfortable anywhere. She's pretty aggressive at feeding time and will chase down and try to bite my hand if it's in the cage after she's eaten. Lupe is bipolar. She is usually the most relaxed but has given me a full on tongue wagging threat display in the garden. Here are a few pics I snapped recently.
Carlos:


Lupe:



Coco:


Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:35 pm
by Rani-May
Beautiful, love the close up with the tongue out,pretty light blue colour. How old are they? you are hoping they will breed?
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 pm
by Bluish
According to the past owners Carlos is 5 years old, Lupe is 3 y.o., and Coco is about 15 months. All three came from different sources.
As for breeding it looks like Carlos and Lupe should be ready for next spring.
It was tough getting a good tongue shot until I realized my camera has a burst mode. It takes alot of pics very quickly, 95% of which I subsequently deleted. Right after that tongue shot she did a very impressive tongue wagging display. I could of caught it on film but I didn't want to stress her.
Yes, the tongue definitely adds to the cuteness factor

.
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 am
by Rani-May
very nice

would be exciting to breed them for the first time. do you plan on keeping any of the babies?
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:29 am
by Bluish
Yes I would like to keep a few of the babies and/or trade for different bloodlines. It seems a little hard to know which ones to keep back since their coloration/look can change quite a bit. With other species I've bred sometimes it's the ugly ducklings that turn into the nicest adults. We'll see though, if they do breed I may base my holdbacks on personality.
New babies are always exciting

Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am
by Rani-May
yeah i picked my most recent blue tongue baby for personality. was between her and her sibling who had a beautiful bright white chin and underbelly. looked beautiful. but the one i chose was more social and ran straight onto my hand when the other shied away. so i chose the friendlier one. however i think the one i chose has pretty colouring too. is a blotched with a yellowy chin and belly as you can sort of see in my picture

Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:10 am
by Bluish
If mine breed maybe we can trade some babies

Joking of course. Yours is a beauty!! And not available in this neck of the woods.
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am
by smittenbunny
Wow Bluish, they are absolutely gorgeous!
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 am
by Rani-May
Oh i wish! Tasmania can ONLY have blotched blue tongues. which is unfortunate, there are so many beautiful kinds. I hope when it eventually happens you post plenty of pictures and/or videos

Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 am
by Bluish
Thanks smittenbunny. They're not the prettiest Northerns but they sure are sweet little things.
I think I'd rather find blotchies in my back yard than other species in cages Rani-May

. I don't know if you like hot snakes but I believe Tasmsnia has some gorgeous tiger snakes.
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 am
by bella3
Great tongue shot! They all look great, and I love the names

Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:27 am
by Rani-May
well yes, i have to admit, its pretty awesome that a lot of Tasmanians will see a fair few blue tongues strolling through their backyards during their life time. yes we get tiger and copperhead snakes all the time, a few weeks ago i actually saw one basking on my neighbours cement porch! little scary haha, have to have a permit here to have any reptile or amphibian though, which is pretty good i think. And reptiles must be given away, it is illegal to sell them!
Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:58 am
by Bluish
Sounds like a good system. Here it is illegal to keep any native species and many exotics are being restricted (large, potentially dangerous ones). As long as the list of restricted species doesn't grow I'm not really bothered by it.
As much as I'd love to see native Australian and Tasmanian fauna I wouldn't be too comfortable finding some of them in my backyard.

I live in a large urban center and have never seen a reptile or amphibian here.

Re: New Bluies
Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 am
by Rani-May
yes it is a pretty good system, to have exotics here im pretty sure you have to do study time and what not.
And yes, the snake are not so pleasant to find slithering around, I myself have only had a few encounters so far. But blueys are everywhere and frogs too. I do love living here, just not a very wide variety we can have as pets here unfortunately
