Page 1 of 1

Restless Skink

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 am
by Ellie_A
I have a female Irian Jaya that is approximately 6 years old. I got her as a rescue in the spring and she had a few problems but has since recovered and is healthy. For the last week or so she has been extremely restless and active which is unusual for her. Here's a little information about her set up: 55 gallon tank, water dish that she can bathe in, eco earth substrate that slopes from 2" deep at one end to 12" deep at the other end, ambient temperature is 72, hot side is 90 with the basking spot at 98, lights are on a timer and are currently on for 10 hours each day. She eats veggies, dog food, lean ground beef and chicken and otherwise appears to be healthy.

She basically wanders around her terrarium constantly when I am at home (not sure what she does when I am at work) and is always getting into something. I have had to put weights on her lid as she pushes it open with her nose. She is very active when she's out of her enclosure also. I realise that this may be normal behavior, it just surprises me that she changed so quickly. Previously she would bury herself for a couple of days, and when she emerged she would eat, bask, bathe and just relax really for a couple of days and then she suddenly changed overnight. The only change that has been made is that her enclosure was moved to the other side of the room, she is now across from my male but I don't think she can see him because he is on the floor and she is higher.

Any ideas on what might be going on with her?

Re: Restless Skink

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:03 am
by Linnea
I can only guess. wait till you have more examples or ideas or direct answers.

im guessing the move has changed her view drastically - so she needs to check out her new environments to make sure its okay.
if shes been a rescue shes had it tough, so i suppose such a reptile would be more easily stressed and uncomfortable by small things changing.

she might actually be able to see that other skink...

has she shedded recently? sometimes my skink becomes super speeded a full week after shed, or if the weather suddenly gets better for a few days.

Re: Restless Skink

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 am
by Ellie_A
She hasn't shed recently but she shows no signs of going into a shed. I don't believe that it is related to the move because she started acting differently at least a week after we moved her. Her behavior continues to be stange and she also bit me twice this weekend and has never before shown any signs of aggression. I hope that this is just a phase and that she breaks out of it soon!