Page 1 of 2

Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUQTMYeqDg&feature=plcp
I thought they were breeding pure IJ's...
Wrong!!!
In this video you can see that they bred a Merauke to an IJ.
Then the babies start fighting and he just watches them :kw:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm
by Sarikazam
Well that is just... annoying.
Especially the part when the babies really start going at it and he doesn't do anything. I hope they were kept in that container together just for the film.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm
by AnnaMonroe
:-( I just can't comprehend how someone who breeds and takes care of these animals doesn't understand the concept of separation..

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:26 pm
by supersnakeman101
epic battle at the end lol
Elijio Torres 1 month ago
this is one of the comments :kw:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:54 pm
by Richard.C
Seperation anxiety perhaps,lol

Well according to my online diagnosis manual

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm
by Richard.C
Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm
by Jeff
Richard.C wrote:Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there


I spit a little beer on myself when I read that Richard. :D I guess I'm just a little surprised that anyone would be surprised about this from Underground. I thought everyone knew what they are. Not bad people, they juust don't know a lot about the thousands of animals they sell every year.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm
by Kurt
Richard.C wrote:Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there

HAHAAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 am
by Cvalda
My Dil came from these guys, what they were advertising as a Northern. So... if they are completely confused as to what any of their skinks are, I guess this means Dil's parentage shall have to remain a mystery :S

Dil is apparently in this video if anyone wants to take a stab at what he actually is, haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iptstZs ... ure=relmfu

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:10 pm
by Spindown
I personally BOI the heck out of any breeder I have interest in, as well as join a forum if its an species I've never worked with and inquire about their interactions and dealings with that breeder. I just read a thread today on Iherp about someone who failed to do any research about the breeder they bought their monitor from. It arrived with a RI, and died in 3 days after arrival. They have a horrible reputation, and if they had just done ANY research at all, they would have been spared this event.

I've heard a bit about underground reptiles, and the little I've heard has been enough for me to not even look into them further as a potential reptile source.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:14 pm
by LarissaLurid
SapphireTigress wrote:I personally BOI the heck out of any breeder I have interest in, as well as join a forum if its an species I've never worked with and inquire about their interactions and dealings with that breeder. I just read a thread today on Iherp about someone who failed to do any research about the breeder they bought their monitor from. It arrived with a RI, and died in 3 days after arrival. They have a horrible reputation, and if they had just done ANY research at all, they would have been spared this event.

I've heard a bit about underground reptiles, and the little I've heard has been enough for me to not even look into them further as a potential reptile source.



My view of Underground is that they just seem to want to mix EVERYTHING to be "unique" and "different" and "only at underground". I'm one who's on the fence about hybrids, some are okay, but when people start mixing them all and then are calling different ones by wrong names, there will be no pure bloodlines anymore and they'll basically all be hybrids. :x

Anyway, I don't think underground is a HORRIBLE place, but I don't like them and what they are about....

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
by Kurt
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:



That's just sad that they produce so many skinks without even knowing the scientific name... Especially since they probably make more money selling the hybrid skinks than the breeders on this forum who have much higher quality animals and a lot more knowledge.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm
by LarissaLurid
hot carl wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:



That's just sad that they produce so many skinks without even knowing the scientific name... Especially since they probably make more money selling the hybrid skinks than the breeders on this forum who have much higher quality animals and a lot more knowledge.


Agreed :grump:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm
by Richard.C
Alot of people think all bluetongues are the same,dont realise there are many species,even in australia,then alot think they have a certain species when in fact its a different species,again supprisingly even in australia and with common species,ive seen easterns labelled as blotcheds and vice versa,even in books,lol

I think people also know they are crossing species,breed what ever they have,and happily label it as something its not,so always good to do your homework first

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 pm
by Bluish
LarissaLurid wrote: I'm one who's on the fence about hybrids, some are okay, but when people start mixing them all and then are calling different ones by wrong names, there will be no pure bloodlines anymore and they'll basically all be hybrids. :x

Anyway, I don't think underground is a HORRIBLE place, but I don't like them and what they are about....


That's one of my main objections to hybrids. The animals inevitably change hands a few times and the truth about their lineage gets lost along the way. We end up with a majority of mutts and a VERY few reputable breeders. It also means that any serious new hobbyists who are aware of the issue end up with a lot of extra work, research, and expense to secure good bloodlines.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm
by Spindown
I dislike hybrids to the highest degree. I feel that if you are into producing mutts to make money, you dont care about the original species to begin with, and you are breeding for ALL the wrong reasons. I find people like that despicable.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 am
by Kurt
here's another one...
http://www.floridaherps.com/products/Bl ... Skink.html

Under brand it says its a gigas. Then under product description it says IJ. But the pics show northerns...

:heated:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 pm
by James Wilson
I have never been a fan of these guys. They were selling Irian Jayas as Commom Eastern BTS (Tiliqua scincoides scincoides) at one time on Kingsnake.com. I informed them about the "error" and they did nothing about it. After a few days I posted about it on the BOI, and they came and addressed it right away saying that is what their exporter labled them as. I was (and still am) less than impressed.

Re: Underground Reptiles

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
James Wilson wrote:I have never been a fan of these guys. They were selling Irian Jayas as Commom Eastern BTS (Tiliqua scincoides scincoides) at one time on Kingsnake.com. I informed them about the "error" and they did nothing about it. After a few days I posted about it on the BOI, and they came and addressed it right away saying that is what their exporter labled them as. I was (and still am) less than impressed.

I remember that:
http://www.faunaclassified.com/forums/s ... ?p=1295251
I think it looks like a Merauke though... :noknow: