Underground Reptiles

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Underground Reptiles

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUQTMYeqDg&feature=plcp
I thought they were breeding pure IJ's...
Wrong!!!
In this video you can see that they bred a Merauke to an IJ.
Then the babies start fighting and he just watches them :kw:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Sarikazam » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Well that is just... annoying.
Especially the part when the babies really start going at it and he doesn't do anything. I hope they were kept in that container together just for the film.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm

:-( I just can't comprehend how someone who breeds and takes care of these animals doesn't understand the concept of separation..
supersnakeman101
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm
Country:
Location: columbea sc

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby supersnakeman101 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:26 pm

epic battle at the end lol
Elijio Torres 1 month ago
this is one of the comments :kw:
united we stand divided we fall
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING ! :)
1.0 merauke
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Seperation anxiety perhaps,lol

Well according to my online diagnosis manual
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 pm

If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Richard.C » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Richard.C wrote:Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there


I spit a little beer on myself when I read that Richard. :D I guess I'm just a little surprised that anyone would be surprised about this from Underground. I thought everyone knew what they are. Not bad people, they juust don't know a lot about the thousands of animals they sell every year.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Kurt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Richard.C wrote:Lol,a scincoides gigas,perhaps phameas got hers there

HAHAAHAHAHAHA :lol:
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Cvalda
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Cvalda » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 am

My Dil came from these guys, what they were advertising as a Northern. So... if they are completely confused as to what any of their skinks are, I guess this means Dil's parentage shall have to remain a mystery :S

Dil is apparently in this video if anyone wants to take a stab at what he actually is, haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iptstZs ... ure=relmfu
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Spindown » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:10 pm

I personally BOI the heck out of any breeder I have interest in, as well as join a forum if its an species I've never worked with and inquire about their interactions and dealings with that breeder. I just read a thread today on Iherp about someone who failed to do any research about the breeder they bought their monitor from. It arrived with a RI, and died in 3 days after arrival. They have a horrible reputation, and if they had just done ANY research at all, they would have been spared this event.

I've heard a bit about underground reptiles, and the little I've heard has been enough for me to not even look into them further as a potential reptile source.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby LarissaLurid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:14 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:I personally BOI the heck out of any breeder I have interest in, as well as join a forum if its an species I've never worked with and inquire about their interactions and dealings with that breeder. I just read a thread today on Iherp about someone who failed to do any research about the breeder they bought their monitor from. It arrived with a RI, and died in 3 days after arrival. They have a horrible reputation, and if they had just done ANY research at all, they would have been spared this event.

I've heard a bit about underground reptiles, and the little I've heard has been enough for me to not even look into them further as a potential reptile source.



My view of Underground is that they just seem to want to mix EVERYTHING to be "unique" and "different" and "only at underground". I'm one who's on the fence about hybrids, some are okay, but when people start mixing them all and then are calling different ones by wrong names, there will be no pure bloodlines anymore and they'll basically all be hybrids. :x

Anyway, I don't think underground is a HORRIBLE place, but I don't like them and what they are about....
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:



That's just sad that they produce so many skinks without even knowing the scientific name... Especially since they probably make more money selling the hybrid skinks than the breeders on this forum who have much higher quality animals and a lot more knowledge.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby LarissaLurid » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm

hot carl wrote:
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:If you look at more of his videos he calls an obvious gigas, a scincoides:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eruWyhzaw&feature=plcp
And to be more specific a scincoides gigas!!! What the hell is that?!!?!?!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:



That's just sad that they produce so many skinks without even knowing the scientific name... Especially since they probably make more money selling the hybrid skinks than the breeders on this forum who have much higher quality animals and a lot more knowledge.


Agreed :grump:
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Alot of people think all bluetongues are the same,dont realise there are many species,even in australia,then alot think they have a certain species when in fact its a different species,again supprisingly even in australia and with common species,ive seen easterns labelled as blotcheds and vice versa,even in books,lol

I think people also know they are crossing species,breed what ever they have,and happily label it as something its not,so always good to do your homework first
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Bluish » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 pm

LarissaLurid wrote: I'm one who's on the fence about hybrids, some are okay, but when people start mixing them all and then are calling different ones by wrong names, there will be no pure bloodlines anymore and they'll basically all be hybrids. :x

Anyway, I don't think underground is a HORRIBLE place, but I don't like them and what they are about....


That's one of my main objections to hybrids. The animals inevitably change hands a few times and the truth about their lineage gets lost along the way. We end up with a majority of mutts and a VERY few reputable breeders. It also means that any serious new hobbyists who are aware of the issue end up with a lot of extra work, research, and expense to secure good bloodlines.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Spindown » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

I dislike hybrids to the highest degree. I feel that if you are into producing mutts to make money, you dont care about the original species to begin with, and you are breeding for ALL the wrong reasons. I find people like that despicable.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 am

here's another one...
http://www.floridaherps.com/products/Bl ... Skink.html

Under brand it says its a gigas. Then under product description it says IJ. But the pics show northerns...

:heated:
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:01 am
Country:
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby James Wilson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 pm

I have never been a fan of these guys. They were selling Irian Jayas as Commom Eastern BTS (Tiliqua scincoides scincoides) at one time on Kingsnake.com. I informed them about the "error" and they did nothing about it. After a few days I posted about it on the BOI, and they came and addressed it right away saying that is what their exporter labled them as. I was (and still am) less than impressed.
James Wilson
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Underground Reptiles

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm

James Wilson wrote:I have never been a fan of these guys. They were selling Irian Jayas as Commom Eastern BTS (Tiliqua scincoides scincoides) at one time on Kingsnake.com. I informed them about the "error" and they did nothing about it. After a few days I posted about it on the BOI, and they came and addressed it right away saying that is what their exporter labled them as. I was (and still am) less than impressed.

I remember that:
http://www.faunaclassified.com/forums/s ... ?p=1295251
I think it looks like a Merauke though... :noknow:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 205 guests