I'm wondering what the best substrate for BTS's is? I'm using aspen snake bedding from Petco.
He loves to burrow in it and he seems very comfortable.
What's the best substrate for BTS's?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
-
BlueGuy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: What's the best substrate for BTS's?
Aspen is a good bedding to use. Personally it is all about what you bts seems most happy with. If he seems to like Aspen then keep the Aspen.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: What's the best substrate for BTS's?
I prefer cypress mulch and repti-bark.
- Sarikazam
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 408
- Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
- Country:
- Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Re: What's the best substrate for BTS's?
I am using aspen for one of my Merauke, he seems to love it. It is great for burrowing and pretty cheap. The only complaint I have with it's that it's a bit dusty (But not enough to bother him apparently) and it is kind of messy. He manages to kick it everywhere and I always bring a bit out with him. But those are small complaints and overall I like it.
Then for my Northern I am trying out coconut mulch. She burrows in it well and it looks great. The pieces are big enough that they tend not to get everywhere and she can spit them out easier (I have noticed small bits of aspen can stick to food and they will eat it, but they are such small amounts that they won't do any harm). Overall I think I like the coconut mulch more, but it is also more expensive and difficult to get where I live so I might have switch over to aspen.
Then for my Northern I am trying out coconut mulch. She burrows in it well and it looks great. The pieces are big enough that they tend not to get everywhere and she can spit them out easier (I have noticed small bits of aspen can stick to food and they will eat it, but they are such small amounts that they won't do any harm). Overall I think I like the coconut mulch more, but it is also more expensive and difficult to get where I live so I might have switch over to aspen.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
- Rush
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: What's the best substrate for BTS's?
Mine both enjoy cypress mulch due to its ability to hold mid-high humidity levels.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009
-Brett-
-Brett-
-
raredesign
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 39
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm
- Country:
Re: What's the best substrate for BTS's?
My experience is as follows:
Aspen - sharp pieces, packs too tightly over time, and stays too damp underneath and does not radiate to the top properly.
TRex-Coconut - cubes of coconut are easy to burrow in and are very loose, but do not hold humidity properly. It is clean at first, but can be very dusty.
Repti-Bark - Best I have had so far. It is Fir tree bark and is loose enough to burrow, but heavy enough that crickets won't. It holds humidity very well, and usually comes prewashed so the dust is removed. It also has a high availability in stores.
Aspen - sharp pieces, packs too tightly over time, and stays too damp underneath and does not radiate to the top properly.
TRex-Coconut - cubes of coconut are easy to burrow in and are very loose, but do not hold humidity properly. It is clean at first, but can be very dusty.
Repti-Bark - Best I have had so far. It is Fir tree bark and is loose enough to burrow, but heavy enough that crickets won't. It holds humidity very well, and usually comes prewashed so the dust is removed. It also has a high availability in stores.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests
