Marbles vs Waxworms
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Marbles vs Waxworms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8vEsaGaQA
Just thought I give another update, its been awhile. Plus, he has his new bed!
Just thought I give another update, its been awhile. Plus, he has his new bed!
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
- CricketForestwater
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Hehehehe! "rrr! Grrrr! Shake it! Kill it!"
-
BlueGuy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Haha can't wait for mine to be like that. With his very own personality though. Mine still continues to hide all the time and never comes out. At least when people are around
- CricketForestwater
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Now, I'm still a newb to this so I'm certainly no expert, but I'd suggest holding him more often, Blue. Especially when there are people around, exposing him to them that way, maybe even having them hold him if he doesn't freak out. Exposure is the key with...well, anything, really. The same is done with puppies: the more you expose them to and allow them to realize it's not harmful, the less they will be afraid of and the more comfortable they will be in any setting.
- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Yeah, Blue. Cricket is right about that, it'll never get used to you if you never expose it to things on a daily basis, short-often hold sessions, some feeding by hand, bringing it around places of the house you often go too.
Marbles is now used to me opening the cage, I often associate me coming around with good yummy stuff coming. Not necessarily bad foods for them, you can find out which frequent good food you can feed them that is their favorite!
And in no time he'll/she'll eventually look forward to seeing you. And stop being hissy xD
Marbles is now used to me opening the cage, I often associate me coming around with good yummy stuff coming. Not necessarily bad foods for them, you can find out which frequent good food you can feed them that is their favorite!
And in no time he'll/she'll eventually look forward to seeing you. And stop being hissy xD
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Haha my skink always tells me when he is hungry, he sits by his food bowl, puts his front two feet either on it or right in front of it and puts his head up like OKAY MOM IM HUNGRY, WHERE'S MY DINNER!? He also knows when I turn his light on at night it means food time!
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
BlueGuy wrote:Haha can't wait for mine to be like that. With his very own personality though. Mine still continues to hide all the time and never comes out. At least when people are around
Adorable vids, but unfortunately I am in the same situation as Blue. I recently took a hide out of her tank to "force" her to interact with me. She has been buried for 5 days, not even coming out to eat. Maybe it's not the right solution, but I figure the more I force her to be around me, the more she won't care if I pick her up in the future. I still have yet to attempt to pick her up.. SCARY!
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
I love the shake of death!! 
- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Bruins, I would put the hide back and try the food or stroking approach. Unless of course your skink has been violent with you about being touched. Sometimes I pick Marbles up for short periods throughout the day or just touch him and let him lick/sniff my hand.
Now he hangs out under his cardboard and pushes it closer to the glass, up a bit so he lays under it and watches me all day or comes out occasionally.
The only time I really force him to spend time with me is when I hold him. But, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope he tames down for you!
Now he hangs out under his cardboard and pushes it closer to the glass, up a bit so he lays under it and watches me all day or comes out occasionally.
The only time I really force him to spend time with me is when I hold him. But, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope he tames down for you!
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
-
BlueGuy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Ohhhh I thought thats since i only got him last week i should let him get used to his enclosure first? I'll start bringing him out everyday now
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Skinks do not like being poked or petted, especially in their tanks. If you're going to reach in, either pick them up and hold them securely so they feel safe, or keep your hand still (flat works for me) and let them approach you. Petting does not make sense to them. Maybe when they grow up and get used to you it'd be alright, but it's not something you should be using to 'tame' your skink. It doesn't make them feel good, it just freaks them out.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Oh noes! I pet Kahless all the time when we have cuddle sessions. He usually calms down when I do it and falls asleep. Hope im not freaking him out! He's also super cute when he eats his worms. No jumping get them like marbles but he does the death shake. Love it!!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Ah, let me rephrase. Skinks do not like to be petted. It is not like a dog or cat or person where touching = happy brain chemicals.
What I'm trying to explain:
Reach in and pet skink = probably get bitten
Pick skink up, calm down, and pet skink = probably fine
Pick skink up, calm down, put skink down, and pet skink = probably fine
It's the initial reaction I'm trying to explain. Once they've realized you're not trying to eat them this time they won't care as much. But reaching into the tank and either just waving your hand around (too scared to pick up) or petting them probably won't get a good reaction from most reptiles.
What I'm trying to explain:
Reach in and pet skink = probably get bitten
Pick skink up, calm down, and pet skink = probably fine
Pick skink up, calm down, put skink down, and pet skink = probably fine
It's the initial reaction I'm trying to explain. Once they've realized you're not trying to eat them this time they won't care as much. But reaching into the tank and either just waving your hand around (too scared to pick up) or petting them probably won't get a good reaction from most reptiles.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
auristi
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Can
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Ahhhhh ok! Yes I just take him out to interact, he never seemed pleased when I tried to touch him in the cage. Never got bit tho! I thought he was a bit of a grump and then I read stories on here and have realized he's really quite a love bug. He only hissed at my bf once when he got into the part of his cage that wasn't set up yet and was all cold and scared. Never bites and just chills and burrows in the blanket with us.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
BlueGuy wrote:Ohhhh I thought thats since i only got him last week i should let him get used to his enclosure first? I'll start bringing him out everyday now
I would stick with your first thought.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
BlueGuy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
El Lobo wrote:BlueGuy wrote:Ohhhh I thought thats since i only got him last week i should let him get used to his enclosure first? I'll start bringing him out everyday now
I would stick with your first thought.
Ok will do. He is starting to slowly come around. I fed him quarter of a boiled egg by hand today just to see if there a little trust there.
- ManahShepard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Do whatever you think is right, but he could start getting used to being alone. I personally think it depends on the personality of the skink.
Marbles has been fine with what I do with him - but then again he was with James and was apparently used to being moved around a lot, etc, so the situation changes on the skink and what it is used too.
The only time I've gotten nipped is when Marbles smells food on my fingers, after handling the food and he gets excited he smells the food first and doesn't realize its my fingers. But he lets go promptly when figuring it out.
Marbles has been fine with what I do with him - but then again he was with James and was apparently used to being moved around a lot, etc, so the situation changes on the skink and what it is used too.
The only time I've gotten nipped is when Marbles smells food on my fingers, after handling the food and he gets excited he smells the food first and doesn't realize its my fingers. But he lets go promptly when figuring it out.
Taiga - my little mischief maker <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
Marbles - The Mr. Meow <3
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Personally what I found worked for me is I let her get used to her surroundings for about 3 days only taking her out to eat. After that I slowly started keeping her out longer and longer until now she seems fine with it. Similar to what ManahShepard said, I think she was outside a lot and handled before she was with me which was is great.
-
BlueGuy
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 115
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
Ok. Thanks
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Marbles vs Waxworms
El Lobo wrote:BlueGuy wrote:Ohhhh I thought thats since i only got him last week i should let him get used to his enclosure first? I'll start bringing him out everyday now
I would stick with your first thought.
I agree, BlueGuy, if you have only had him a week, he still could be settling in. I'd give him time first, you can't just bring him home and force him into being held when he doesn't know where he is. Your first thought was correct, let him settle in first.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 736 guests
