Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 am

Hello! I'm Cricket, and I've just recently acquired an adorable little Northern baby.

Now, I know what some of you may be thinking, "Oh dear, brand new? I hope she did her research!" Whelp, I'm proud to say that I have. My husband and I have always made it a habit to research as much as we can before doing or getting anything new (especially pets). It's also helped that my husband was a previous owner of an Irian Jaya.

We just got him the other day and are still trying out names. We'd like to have one that is unisex, considering how difficult it is to be sure of gender especially this young. The most fitting I've found so far is Ainsley, but my husband has said it would be neat if we could find an "Australian" name. Aside from Aboriginal, I'm fairly certain there aren't really any names specifically Australian (though please correct me if I'm wrong!). However, I do know that there is a bit of a habit of giving things nicknames, down there in the Down Under, so if anyone can think of a fun nickname that is commonly used that might work as a name for this little guy I'd very much appreciate it! :D

At any rate, for the time being I'll most likely just be lurking a bit until I can come up with some fun stories and pictures to post.

Nice to meet you all!
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:38 am

Welcome! Feel free to post pictures (as well as ask any questions you may have)!
Brad
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:35 am

Welcome! You could call it Chook, it's an entertaining Aussie word to me :lol:
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 am

*looks up the meaning and chuckles*

Not too sure I'd want to call 'im that XD But thanks for the suggestion!
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 am

Welcome to the forum!
I think Sheila is a very Australian sounding name. But it obviously isn't a very neutral name. :P
I would also love to see pictures of your baby too!
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Alrighty, well I've had him out for a little while and he's been enjoying my shoulder (as well as some real sun) as I'm in and out doing laundry, so I managed to get a few pictures in between loads.

Image

Here he is. Very chill little critter, though he's tried to slink down off my back or down my chest a few times trying to go explore elsewhere! He even almost attacked my cereal yesterday while I was pouring it into the bowl (probably thought the fast-moving, little, black things were crickets).


Image

A nice shot of his head scales, though what I was really trying to get was a shot of his tongue. Too fast for my little camera! Oh well.


Image

Another attempted tongue-shot, but this one got a nice look at his profile and the very, very light coloring just behind his eye.


Image

What I typically see of him, if I see him at all since he's typically burrowed in my hair or against my neck.


Image

As I said, burrowed in hair. A good "Find the lizard!" game I think XD


Image
Image

And, finally, just a good look at his back colorings and markings.
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby bella3 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Welcome to the forum! Awesome pictures. Really pretty skink you have there! :D
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Bluish » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Wow! Very nice baby.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
User avatar
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby BruinsEv » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Welcome!! How old is your baby? It's astonishing to see her that tame and she doesn't look much older than mine who won't even let me stick my hand in the tank!
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm actually not exactly sure of the age. The reptile specialty store I got him from didn't know when they were born, but I knew that they were CB and treated with lots of love by the breeder. He was being housed with two other siblings in the shop, but none had a scratch on them and only one of them hissed when the shop girl reached in and started removing the hides for me to see them. After that, I was able to reach in and just pick him out of the tank with absolutely no problems (and yes, they had a decent little heat lamp too). I was actually tempted to buy him and just walk out with him on my shoulder he was so docile! The breeder must have handled them quite a bit from very early on...though apparently they didn't feed the little guys chicken, 'cause we had to rub his lips and nose with it a bit before he realized it was food lol

OH! I almost forgot; thank you for all the wonderful welcomes! ^_^
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:17 pm

CricketForestwater wrote:I'm actually not exactly sure of the age. The reptile specialty store I got him from didn't know when they were born, but I knew that they were CB and treated with lots of love by the breeder. He was being housed with two other siblings in the shop, but none had a scratch on them and only one of them hissed when the shop girl reached in and started removing the hides for me to see them. After that, I was able to reach in and just pick him out of the tank with absolutely no problems (and yes, they had a decent little heat lamp too). I was actually tempted to buy him and just walk out with him on my shoulder he was so docile! The breeder must have handled them quite a bit from very early on...though apparently they didn't feed the little guys chicken, 'cause we had to rub his lips and nose with it a bit before he realized it was food lol

OH! I almost forgot; thank you for all the wonderful welcomes! ^_^

Mine is two months and one week and looks about your bts size... so maybe around the 3 month range?
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby El Lobo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:36 pm

I'll make a suggestion: don't walk around with a BTS on your shoulder; they are incapable of holding on and it's a long way to fall when you are that small. Apart from that they really don't cope very well with heights and not being attached to terra firma.

If you are thinking of an Australian name be aware with naming in Australia things aren't necessarily as they seem. For example, being called bluey means you have red hair!

Now you all know the meaning of chook, can I drop having to call it chicken?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Richard.C » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Nice looking northern,welcome to the forum,speaking of australian terminology,what americans call backsides we call front sides,lol,i used to chuckle every time i heard the intro to the tv show the nanny
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 am

El Lobo wrote:I'll make a suggestion: don't walk around with a BTS on your shoulder; they are incapable of holding on and it's a long way to fall when you are that small. Apart from that they really don't cope very well with heights and not being attached to terra firma.


This is true, but with how small he is I don't exactly want him wandering around where he pleases and end up losing him somewhere I can't get to or have him end up getting hurt. I do understand your concern, though, and will do more with him just sitting down :)

El Lobo wrote:If you are thinking of an Australian name be aware with naming in Australia things aren't necessarily as they seem. For example, being called bluey means you have red hair!


Oh, well yes. I've run into enough Aussies to know that they think up some of the most interesting words for things! I mean, you wouldn't think that an "after dark" was a shark just from the name, now would you? This is exactly why I went to look up the meaning of 'chook' before just going and making it my little guy's name XD


Richard.C wrote:speaking of australian terminology,what americans call backsides we call front sides,lol


*snerk* that's always amused me, too. Though I don't think that's just in Australia, I'm fairly sure Americans are the only ones that use that term in that way.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby El Lobo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:58 pm

CricketForestwater wrote:
El Lobo wrote:If you are thinking of an Australian name be aware with naming in Australia things aren't necessarily as they seem. For example, being called bluey means you have red hair!


Oh, well yes. I've run into enough Aussies to know that they think up some of the most interesting words for things! I mean, you wouldn't think that an "after dark" was a shark just from the name, now would you? This is exactly why I went to look up the meaning of 'chook' before just going and making it my little guy's name XD .


'After dark' or Noah's ark.

Another idiom is 'humping the bluey' which should definitely not be literally translated. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby Lea » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Bingle, Billy, Ripper, Strewth, Woop Woop, Seppo, Plonk, Larrikin, Hooroo, Bunyip and Bludger. Just a few common slang words with interesting meanings, any of them take your fancy?
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
CricketForestwater
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:48 am
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Brand New to the Life (and love) of the BTS!

Postby CricketForestwater » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Heh, 'bunyip' sounds kinda interesting XD

Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 212 guests