Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
IMO, I would not give it. I recall a discussion about this in the past how reptiles can not digest dairy products.
Brad
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
Agreed, I would never feed them yogurt, besides how the dairy can't be digested it is also FULL of sugar, preservatives, chemicals etc. (even the sugar alone is bad enough)
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
Bearded dragon owners give dairy-free soy yogurt to their beardies when they need to be put on antibiotics to help replenish their gut flora. The probiotics in the yogurt help replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
donkeybuff wrote:Bearded dragon owners give dairy-free soy yogurt to their beardies when they need to be put on antibiotics to help replenish their gut flora. The probiotics in the yogurt help replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotics kill.
Id rather just purchase a bottle of probiotics made specifically for reptiles than risk using yogurt.
Brad
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
I'm just curious WHY you would want to feed a BTS yogurt? Is there some reason to think that BTS benefit from eating yogurt? It's kind of like feeding a dog table food. It might be fun, but it's really not healthy for the animal.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
I thought it might make a good treat. I eat yogurt for breakfast and I had him on my lap while eating it. I wanted to be safe before I tried feeding to him.
Now I know not to. Thanks for the advice.
Now I know not to. Thanks for the advice.
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
wrath wrote:I thought it might make a good treat. I eat yogurt for breakfast and I had him on my lap while eating it. I wanted to be safe before I tried feeding to him.
Now I know not to. Thanks for the advice.
Lol kind of reminds me of when I was sitting on the couch eating a vegetarian taco salad one day. For some reason my skink walked up on the pillow the plate was on (on top of my lap) and got really close to the spoon while I was eating sticking his tongue out sniffing a bunch. I'm not sure if the tons of sour cream I used smelled interesting to him or what, he didn't try to eat it but he seemed to like the smell a lot XD
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
Reptile probiotics do not appear to have any special bacteria in them either-so I'd question there usefulness
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Is it safe to feed BTS's Yogurt?
wrath wrote:I thought it might make a good treat. I eat yogurt for breakfast and I had him on my lap while eating it. I wanted to be safe before I tried feeding to him.
Now I know not to. Thanks for the advice.
I'm not going to lie, my skink has gotten a hold of a number of things I was eating that he shouldn't have eaten. Did it kill him? No. Was it good for him? Probably not. If you want to give him a small treat while he is hanging out on the couch, give him some fruit or a small piece of chicken or something. I often give Coomassie a piece of whatever fruit I'm eating.
Cay T.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 168 guests
