Hides??

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I was wondering if any of you have any cheap suggestions for hides/tunnels or house hold decorative items i could use in my new skinks cage. :helpme:
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Hides??

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Empty toilet paper/ paper towel rolls, Kleenex boxes (with a hole cut in the bottom/ side), cereal boxes... basically just take a look through your recycling container for any solid boxes or tubes.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Sarikazam wrote:Empty toilet paper/ paper towel rolls, Kleenex boxes (with a hole cut in the bottom/ side), cereal boxes... basically just take a look through your recycling container for any solid boxes or tubes.


Okay I will do that. Thank you :D
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Hides??

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Also if you live in a wooded area you can try finding some pieces of bark or woods and sterilizing them. My skinks love their half log hides :)
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Sarikazam wrote:Also if you live in a wooded area you can try finding some pieces of bark or woods and sterilizing them. My skinks love their half log hides :)


How do i sterilize them? I heard to put in the oven but at what temp and how long?
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Hides??

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:11 pm

As was said, recyclables make good hides. Wander through the dollar store. Or the hardware store. My current cheap hides for my adults are a flexible plastic elbow meant for eavestroughs (cold side) and a 12x12 slate tile with 1/2 inch plastic legs on each corner (warm side, doubles as basking spot and warm hide). Both are loved and quite cheap.
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Fatal_S wrote:As was said, recyclables make good hides. Wander through the dollar store. Or the hardware store. My current cheap hides for my adults are a flexible plastic elbow meant for eavestroughs (cold side) and a 12x12 slate tile with 1/2 inch plastic legs on each corner (warm side, doubles as basking spot and warm hide). Both are loved and quite cheap.


Thank you. I'll be going to a hardware store tomorrow to look around
User avatar
Sarikazam
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:05 am
Country:
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada

Re: Hides??

Postby Sarikazam » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

BlueGuy wrote:
Sarikazam wrote:Also if you live in a wooded area you can try finding some pieces of bark or woods and sterilizing them. My skinks love their half log hides :)


How do i sterilize them? I heard to put in the oven but at what temp and how long?


I have heard a few different opinions, anywhere from 200-400f for 10- 25 minutes. I would recommend doing a bit more research yourself instead of taking my word.
I soaked mine in scalding bleach water for a few hours, since some of them were too large to fit in the oven.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Sarikazam wrote:
BlueGuy wrote:
Sarikazam wrote:Also if you live in a wooded area you can try finding some pieces of bark or woods and sterilizing them. My skinks love their half log hides :)


How do i sterilize them? I heard to put in the oven but at what temp and how long?


I have heard a few different opinions, anywhere from 200-400f for 10- 25 minutes. I would recommend doing a bit more research yourself instead of taking my word.
I soaked mine in scalding bleach water for a few hours, since some of them were too large to fit in the oven.


Ok I will do some research but what you said sounds about right too i think
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:26 pm

ok i found out its 350 degrees F. for an hour
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Hides??

Postby skeetersmom » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:05 am

Not sure how inexpensive you are looking for, but my Skeeter loves his tube hide. Got it from the hardward store. It was in the plumbing section, accordian design makes a great "U" shape on his cool side. I also used flagstone to make another hide (and to cover up the tube hide). I did post pics awhile ago - you can search the site using skeeter as your search word if you want to check them out
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Hides??

Postby bella3 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

I know this was said already, but I'm going to mention it again. Juno loves her toilet paper/paper towel rolls. I put a few of those in her tank, and they work well. I rip all of the plastic off of kleenex boxes and then cut a hole and put it upside down in the tank. Also, when I take Juno out to explore I put down some cereal boxes-really, anything cardboard can work!
When it comes to cleaning, I personally boil everything that won't melt :) I boil some water and then place the object (for example a basking rock) in a bowl with the boiling water.
BlueGuy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 pm
Country:
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Hides??

Postby BlueGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok thank you

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests