Emz3 wrote:I am feeding my blue tongued kids a mix of mustard greens, collard greens, spring mix, acorn squash and high quality cat food all mixed in together. I will occasionally smash a little banana or carrot in with the mix, but more as a treat. They also get the occasional superworm. They are not on any supplements.
I feed them every 2-3 days.
My Merauke (I think) Stubs, is a pig and will eat huge quantities if I let him. However, he is also very active! (It's funny because he was the sick and lethargic one when I got him.) My other BTS (an IJ I think) Ellouise is not as eager to eat, but she eats. She is also not as active and hides a lot.
So, my question is, can I do better? Is this a quality diet or is there something else/more I should be doing. I guess I'm just looking for validation that I am feeding them properly or constructive criticism of what I can do differently!
It looks like you are off to a good start. Like others have mentioned, you may want to switch over to a good quality dog food, and you may also want to incorperate a good calcium supplement with D3 into the diet plan. Here are a few things I use:
Animal Matter
Canned premium dog food moistened monkey chow, ground turkey, dry premium dog food (moistened), hard boiled eggs (sparingly), lean cuts of meat, boiled chicken, caned reptile diets, moistened turtle pellets
Plant Matter
Chopped mustard, collard, beet, and turnip greens, dandelion greens and flowers, hibiscus flowers (take care that no pesticides or herbicides are present), chopped kale (sparingly), fresh, canned, and thawed frozen fruits, canned or frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, corn, and green beans), grated squash, carrots, apples, potatoes, and yams, moistened iguana diet, and cooked pasta
Supplemental Food Items
Most insects are taken readily by Blue-tongued skinks. If you are feeding insects, that you have collected, to your skink, it is important to make sure that there is no chance of them being contaminated with pesticides. You can purchase crickets at most pet stores, and they are available in bulk through a large number of mail order companies that advertise in reptile related magazines. Also available are mealworms (Tenebrio molitor), superworms (Zophobas atrauts), waxworms, and sometimes earthworms. Snails are relished with delight by most blue-tongues, but again, you should be certain that no pesticides are present. Rat-pups are great for skinks that are a bit thin and need to put on some weight, and young adult mice make an excellent weekly supplement for gravid females. I also like to offer my skinks an occasional fruit meal consisting of ripe strawberries, peaches, mangos, or canned fruit cocktail.
Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation
A quality calcium supplement with vitamin D3 is an important factor in maintaining most lizards, including Blue-tongued Skinks. Make sure it is phosphorous free, and do not over supplement. Sprinkle a small amount on the food every other feeding for babies and gravid females, and every third feeding for all other adults. If given a varied diet, blue-tongues will not need any other vitamin or mineral supplements.