Question about shedding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Question about shedding

Postby bella3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 am

Hi everyone,
So now that Juno is shedding I have more questions.
I know that before BTS shed their colours go sort of creamy/milky, and Juno's did that, but her stomach is still like that and I can't tell if she's shed on her stomach or not. Also, her tail and feet don't look like they have shed, but they also have no signs of shedding. There are no scales coming off or anything. Are these things that I need to worry about, or will the eventually come off on their own? I am just wondering because she is no longer rubbing against the rock in her tank, or trying to get off any scales and I don't think that she is fully shed, so I'm curious as to weather her "arms and legs" and tail shed will work it's way off by itself or if I need to soak her or something.
Any thoughts? I know I'm probably over-reacting and I should leave her alone and stop worrying about it, but I can't help worrying a little :oops:
Thanks :)
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Question about shedding

Postby Susann » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm

If you are not sure, and are worried, just stick her in your tub with an inch or so of luke-warm water; let her traipse around for a good 15-20 min. Then gently rub her belly and other areas you are worried about. If there are any unshed scales, you will notice them lifting, or rolling, off. If nothing is lifting, then stop worrying :) Most of the time they need no help at all to shed, but it doesn't hurt at all to give them a good soak. If any shed stays on, it will most likely come off the next time. It's not until after you have 3, or 4, or more, shed cycles built up that you need to worry.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Question about shedding

Postby bella3 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Okay, thank you Susann :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests