Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
So Overlord, my male Northern, went from being pretty open to being held, liking to explore, NOT cage aggressive BEFORE the breeding attempts were made, to being crazy in the cage to the point where I'm planning on getting some thick gloves. He is now shielding against me, trying to bite, gaping his mouth (although not extending tongue). Its very odd (to me) to see him act like this, he isnt hurt, temps are the same, husbandry exact same, etc.
Do you guys think it could be because he was never put with a female before, and now that he got a taste of what breeding season COULD be (*crossing fingers for next year*) he's feeling more aggressive/defensive? The shielding leads me to believe defensive over aggressive though. (please correct me if i'm totally off here). He attacks the cage sides when we get near, and sometimes when i walk by! He NEVER did this before!!
I still love him just as much, but skink bites can HURT, so I'm waiting to get the gloves like I said before trying to "re-tame" him (if thats even possible).
Thoughts?
Do you guys think it could be because he was never put with a female before, and now that he got a taste of what breeding season COULD be (*crossing fingers for next year*) he's feeling more aggressive/defensive? The shielding leads me to believe defensive over aggressive though. (please correct me if i'm totally off here). He attacks the cage sides when we get near, and sometimes when i walk by! He NEVER did this before!!
I still love him just as much, but skink bites can HURT, so I'm waiting to get the gloves like I said before trying to "re-tame" him (if thats even possible).
Thoughts?
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
by sheilding do u mean he tilts back towards you?
if so then yes,thats a defense posture,usually done with 2 males about to fight,or a male reacting to an aggressive female biting at him or even just approaching
odd behaviour to do it to you,especially if hes been tractable with you in the past
have u recently had him with the female,did she have goes at him,be interesting to know whats got him so defensive,the tilt the back at possable aggressor is anticipating a showdown type behaviour
hopefully some others will chime in
any chance of getting a pic of this behaviour
if so then yes,thats a defense posture,usually done with 2 males about to fight,or a male reacting to an aggressive female biting at him or even just approaching
odd behaviour to do it to you,especially if hes been tractable with you in the past
have u recently had him with the female,did she have goes at him,be interesting to know whats got him so defensive,the tilt the back at possable aggressor is anticipating a showdown type behaviour
hopefully some others will chime in
any chance of getting a pic of this behaviour
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
My males have the same issues once they grow up and start breeding. My best breeder is nearly as aggressive now as Jenga, my psycho-skink. They calm down after being out of the tank for a while, but my guys keep the bad-attitude year-round now. Their activity-time is more exploration time (not cuddles/handling) which seems to suit them better.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
@ Richard, yes the tilting is what I meant, I was told it was called shielding
. The last attempt of them together was 6/20. She only got a tad snarky, and that was only on the first day of introduction. After that she basically did the equivalent of dressing like a night woman and draping herself all over him (lol) and he was like...um, no thanks. X_X
unfortunately, pics are unlikely as my very "old" droid that has been dropped many, many times has decided to finally go on the fritz and not take any pics (it gets permanently stuck in picture mode, I have to pull out the battery to restart it), and somehow my awesome camera, while rearranging the kitchen, managed to lose its dang charger. Until I find it, pics are just about impossible.
@Fatal... The "once they grow up and start breeding" comment makes me giggle since he has (according to previous owner) never been with a female, and hes 8-10 years old
However, I guess I'm ok with having my work cut out for me if aggression = good breeder, as he was TIMID to the MAX this first season, and only tried to get a grip on her for one short session, where she wasnt quite receptive. The let down seemed to bum him out, and he didnt try again even though she was VERY receptive after the first try.
I will still love him even if he has turned crazy... the love of the ladies can do strange things to "men"
I havent had as much handling time lately, been a danged heat wave and if I'm overheated I dont want to hold them and make them overheated (probably a dumb thing to think), but I am definitely wanting to try and correct this ASAP. I also thought at first maybe he was just more hungry since its summer, and then I realized that he was freaking out and being super defensive when I avoided being chomped and tried to pick him up... an activity that previously got a "meh, ok, whatever" response. The only thing that used to get him to bite was getting his nails trimmed, he HATES that! I'll admit, I was pretty shocked when I saw he was tilting ME! I've never seen one of my skinks do that to us before, only when I was trying to breed them, and once while we were *very very carefully* behaviour sexing.
unfortunately, pics are unlikely as my very "old" droid that has been dropped many, many times has decided to finally go on the fritz and not take any pics (it gets permanently stuck in picture mode, I have to pull out the battery to restart it), and somehow my awesome camera, while rearranging the kitchen, managed to lose its dang charger. Until I find it, pics are just about impossible.
@Fatal... The "once they grow up and start breeding" comment makes me giggle since he has (according to previous owner) never been with a female, and hes 8-10 years old
I will still love him even if he has turned crazy... the love of the ladies can do strange things to "men"
I havent had as much handling time lately, been a danged heat wave and if I'm overheated I dont want to hold them and make them overheated (probably a dumb thing to think), but I am definitely wanting to try and correct this ASAP. I also thought at first maybe he was just more hungry since its summer, and then I realized that he was freaking out and being super defensive when I avoided being chomped and tried to pick him up... an activity that previously got a "meh, ok, whatever" response. The only thing that used to get him to bite was getting his nails trimmed, he HATES that! I'll admit, I was pretty shocked when I saw he was tilting ME! I've never seen one of my skinks do that to us before, only when I was trying to breed them, and once while we were *very very carefully* behaviour sexing.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Aggressive =/= good breeder in all cases. My best breeder is agro, but my psycho male is terrified of girl-skink. My other two males, one is fairly agro, one is decently calm, both avoid females like the plague. I also have a very agro female who hates me and males, and a sweet-to-me female who tries to kill males. So I'd say they're all individuals.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
interesting mel,my male northerns all quite mellow,and best breeders are the mellowest ones,there aggressive breeders,but super mellow to me,the one i have yet to see mate is the fiestiest,still mellow,but more inclined to taste test anything that moves
this is only my second season breeding northerns though,but both big males were good breeders for previous owners,so perhaps just been lucky
this is only my second season breeding northerns though,but both big males were good breeders for previous owners,so perhaps just been lucky
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Are your Northerns outdoors or in tanks, Richard?
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Fatal_S wrote:Aggressive =/= good breeder in all cases. My best breeder is agro, but my psycho male is terrified of girl-skink. My other two males, one is fairly agro, one is decently calm, both avoid females like the plague. I also have a very agro female who hates me and males, and a sweet-to-me female who tries to kill males. So I'd say they're all individuals.
I didn't realize skinks had this aggressiveness in them. Is this usually the case with males more so than females? Are there ways to prevent them from getting like this ?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
In my experience, males are more territorial than females, but a well-handled pet probably won't have any issues. Aside from my mean Caramels and Tanimbars I didn't really have any aggression until I started breeding them. I actually thought my great-breeding male Wasp was a gal because he was such a sweety. Until he started chasing the other gals.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
northerns are all indoors year round mel,to cold for outdoors here,the male and 2 females whom live together used to live outdoors with previous owner,the other big male did to,in the northern territory,all been indoors last 3 years though
my fiestiest one is a female,shes mellow with me but she has goes at males twice her size and any female,only time she doesnt go the big male is when windows open,other wise she does the persuing,lol
over all towards me, they are quite mellow,at worst timid,i have 9 hold backs from last season which are quite placid to
towards unfamiliar lizards,they can be super aggressive though,especially the males towards one another
my fiestiest one is a female,shes mellow with me but she has goes at males twice her size and any female,only time she doesnt go the big male is when windows open,other wise she does the persuing,lol
over all towards me, they are quite mellow,at worst timid,i have 9 hold backs from last season which are quite placid to
towards unfamiliar lizards,they can be super aggressive though,especially the males towards one another
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
I should mention my guys always seem to be starving. I walk by and they run up to the front trying to eat the hinges. However, they do this even when there's food sitting in their tank already -.-' So it could just be they're really stupid.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Fatal_S wrote:...-.-' So it could just be they're really stupid.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Jenga tries to "kill" his water. Every. Single. Time.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
yep feistiest male does that to mel,if im seen he waits at door,he knows what side i open,and he wants to taste anything i put in,my hand,the females after returning them ect,i wouldnt call him aggressive though,doesnt even ever huff,just bonkers,lol,seeing me makes him get excited,if i sit still he settles,but any movement and bang ready to great me at the door
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
Ah, neat. Jenga just wants to kill everything. He'll attack logs and rocks for nearly half an hour after I put them in his tank. Instead of eating, he'll kill his food dish and throw the food around. He's a special case though 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
haha"very special case,got to love the variety in there behaviours
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
Every post I read about Jenga, I crack up like crazy.
The amount of times I've shown the "Jenga tries to kill me" video is uncountable.
It is just the funniest thing. I love it! He absolutely ROCKS.
Hey Fatal_S, is there any way that we can see a video of Jenga trying to kill his water?
Warn me before you do though, I have to go purchase diapers for myself so I'm prepared for the video lol.
Every post I read about Jenga, I crack up like crazy.
The amount of times I've shown the "Jenga tries to kill me" video is uncountable.
It is just the funniest thing. I love it! He absolutely ROCKS.
Hey Fatal_S, is there any way that we can see a video of Jenga trying to kill his water?
Warn me before you do though, I have to go purchase diapers for myself so I'm prepared for the video lol.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
I'll try. He tends to focus on the camera when it's around, but I'll see what I can manage.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male Northern's Temperament change...could it be ...
set camsra to film and see what jenga captures,jenga cam
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 345 guests
