Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby LarissaLurid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:10 pm

First time I tried feeding Madagascar Hissing Roaches to my 8 month old (this week!) Merauke Blue Tongue Skink. Second part he's eating squash with some calcium d-3 powder. I usually feed Blaptica Dubias, but I'm waiting for them to grow larger and my Hisser Colony is so large that I decided to see how some young ones would be on Caipora. I don't think I'll be doing it anytime soon again, I never would recommend them since they have a hard, thick shell. Caipora definitely had a bit of a tough time eating the tough shelled insects, but I wasn't sure how it'd go with the young ones. (and I had to keep stopping the camera to get the ones running up the sides of the feeding container!) Hopefully he will digest them without a problem.

He loves squash though! Eats it totally plain :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGQ20d3-B_U&feature=plcp
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 am

LOL seems like it took him forever to get ONE. xD
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby LarissaLurid » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 am

AnnaMonroe wrote:LOL seems like it took him forever to get ONE. xD


Yea there was a lot I didn't film, it was so hard to keep it going with having to knock them back in the thing after they climb up the walls. So there were many others he did get, but yea he did have a hard time especially since there were only like 5 at a time I'd put in so I could keep track.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:47 pm

I've seen so many videos on youtube of people placing their blueys in areas so they could hunt things like crickets, roaches, etc.. and each video consisted of the bluey basically 'giving up' after a few tries of getting an insect! Do they simply lose interest or have low attention spans? Why is it that they don't stop until they finally get the insect they tried to get in the first place? ..very interesting :thinking:
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 am

AnnaMonroe wrote:I've seen so many videos on youtube of people placing their blueys in areas so they could hunt things like crickets, roaches, etc.. and each video consisted of the bluey basically 'giving up' after a few tries of getting an insect! Do they simply lose interest or have low attention spans? Why is it that they don't stop until they finally get the insect they tried to get in the first place? ..very interesting :thinking:



I put mine in a small area so it's easier, I've tried a 20g long tank before and as soon as i put him in he would freak out for some reason, he didn't like it. Also in the past EVERY time i tried feeding him crickets, he would try to catch one, miss, then totally give up and not even bother to try again. Idk maybe he is just lazy and knows he's gona get food he doesn't have to catch, but from the first time I gave him Dubia roaches he was very interested (probably likes them more since they don't hop around everywhere either) and will go after them for a long time with a lot of interest shown. He loves them, which is great because they are the healthiest insects to feed him basically. Also he gives up on some and will go to catch another that is moving or closer to him, he doesn't stick to one for too long if he knows he cant get it.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby AnnaMonroe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Haha! thats cool, it just goes to show how every living thing on this planet is so different !
But no matter what, your skink is very cute and even if he didn't take that much interest in this video, it's great to read about his high interest in other insects.
I wonder how my bluey will be like when I get him.. :chin:
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby Spindown » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

lol thats wierd, all of my skinks go nuts for the live dubia when they get them, if they escape the mouth they go insane chasing them around the cage. :P
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Caipora Eats Hissers + Squash

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:lol thats wierd, all of my skinks go nuts for the live dubia when they get them, if they escape the mouth they go insane chasing them around the cage. :P



Yup! Mine LOVES Dubias!
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 254 guests