CPR for Baby BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

CPR for Baby BTS

Postby James Wilson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 pm

I had a litter of babies born last month on 6-30-2012. The second baby to be born was the smallest of the litter, and was actually still born. He was upsidedown and motionless when I first discovered him, and he was still encased in his amniotic membrane. I broke him out, and he felt like a stiff piece of rubber. I was sure it was hopeless, but for some reason I started mild chest compressions on him with no results. I then started rubbing him up and down from chest to vent to simulate the presure he would have experienced during birth had he been a little larger like his siblings. After about 30 seconds, he snapped to life with a jolt as if he had just been jump started. This little guy was touch and go for the first few days, but with some extra attention he has caught up with, and actually passed up a couple of his siblings in size. He has turned out to be a nice looking little skink. Here he is:

BTS-2012 Northern 2.1.JPG

BTS-2012 Northern 2.2.JPG

BTS-2012 Northern 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Wilson
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Re: CPR for Baby BTS

Postby Rush » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Amazing story...the little skink is a special one.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-
bella3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bella3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Wow-that's amazing! He is so pretty, and I think that it is really awesome that you were able to save him, and now have a healthy little skink.
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AnnaMonroe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 pm

...you definitely don't hear a story like this every day. Seriously, congratulations. :jawdrop:
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Karen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Glad you were able to get the little guy breathing again! So the lack of pressure was the likely culprit?
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

Postby James Wilson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Karen wrote:Glad you were able to get the little guy breathing again! So the lack of pressure was the likely culprit?

I suspect as much. When born, a normal sized baby is squeezed out through a pretty small opening which causes the baby's body to be squeezed from head to toe. I believe the presure created in this process serves two purposes. The first is to help cause the amniotic membrane to break, and the second is to creat enough trama on the little skink to get him breathing, kind of like the slap on the butt that doctors sometimes give newborn babies. Just my thoughts.
James Wilson
BruinsEv
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BruinsEv » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:21 pm

This is an amazing story.
Qwerpy
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Qwerpy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Actually, I disagree on the lack of pressure idea.
Last year my dog killed a pregnant wild northern bts. I was about to bury the dead lizard when I realised that it still had babies in it. So, I did what needed to be done and I performed a cesarian on the dead skink with a kitcheen knife.
Long story short, I saved 13 baby skinks (one was still-born).
All I had to do was break the placenta and they were good as gold.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Wow James, that's fantastic! What a lucky little guy to have you there.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

Postby James Wilson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Qwerpy wrote:Actually, I disagree on the lack of pressure idea.
Last year my dog killed a pregnant wild northern bts. I was about to bury the dead lizard when I realised that it still had babies in it. So, I did what needed to be done and I performed a cesarian on the dead skink with a kitcheen knife.

After reading your story, I am not surprised that you disagree. BTW, It is the Amniotic membrane that contains both the skink and the placenta. The skink is not encased in the placenta. Had you worked with the one still born skink, you could have saved him. After my experience, I learned that there are actually other keepers here (Jeff the Moderator is one of them) that have saved still born skinks the same way I did. You sure picked a heck of a way to introduce yourself here with your 1st post. Nice story about your skink killing dog. I am sure everyone here will really like reading that.
James Wilson
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:28 pm

nice one james,had to do similar in the past with the veey odd blotch but a few easterns,not cpr but helping them break loose,was usually smaller ones like u say to,born motionless ,i thought dead but once broken free gasped for air

thats a very nice looking specimen,i love the amount of black and the orange,nice even patterning,will be a cracker i reckon
Bowdoin55
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Postby Bowdoin55 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 am

This is a fascinating story, James, and one that will probably save the lives of a few more skinks. Congrats on the little one; he/she looks very promising.

Cheers,

David
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:59 am

amazing to read about, even more amazing to see him up and well on the photo after reading it :D

ill definitely keep this in mind, should i ever consider breeding BTS
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 am

I hope you keep your dog and skinks separate since that incident. It far too sad to hear of these preventable tragedies.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop

Postby Alioop » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 am

Incredible story James!! I know you mentioned our infamous Jeff, but have any other breeders had this experience?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
tylociraptor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tylociraptor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:54 am

LeaBilby wrote:

I hope you keep your dog and skinks separate since that incident. It far too sad to hear of these preventable tragedies.

Lea, it was a wild BTS. :( Sadly you can't always keep your dog away from wild animals!
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 am

tylociraptor wrote:Lea, it was a wild BTS. :( Sadly you can't always keep your dog away from wild animals!

I've had my dog for nearly a decade, and I've managed to keep her from harming any wild animals, both by teaching her to be gentle with all animals, and by keeping her under my control when outside. If my negligence ever allowed my pet to harm wildlife, I'd feel awful. I am glad that at least the babies in this tale still got a chance to live.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

Postby James Wilson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:06 am

Fatal_S wrote:I am glad that at least the babies in this tale still got a chance to live.

Except, of course, for the one that was still born.
James Wilson
James Wilson
The Mentor
The Mentor

Postby James Wilson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 am

Fatal_S wrote:I've had my dog for nearly a decade, and I've managed to keep her from harming any wild animals, both by teaching her to be gentle with all animals, and by keeping her under my control when outside. If my negligence ever allowed my pet to harm wildlife, I'd feel awful.

I agree 100%. I taught my dog from a very young age to help me find reptiles, but to stay a safe distance back at the same time (both for him and the reptile as we have rattle snakes everywhere here). He has helped me find numerous reptiles which made for some very nice photos. He has also alerted me to some very dangerous situations concerning rattle snakes, and lastly, he has helped me find my reptile pets on the rare occasions when they have escaped.
James Wilson
Sarikazam
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarikazam » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 am

He has also alerted me to some very dangerous situations concerning rattle snakes, and lastly, he has helped me find my reptile pets on the rare occasions when they have escaped.

Oh my, that is genius! I would have never thought to teach my dog to be reptile tracker! That would definitely save a lot of head banging if one of your critters escape.

But on that other note about dogs harming wildlife, it sounds great if you can teach them to ignore other animals or at least keep a safe distance, but it is a lot harder with some breeds of dogs. For instance I have a terrier cross and it is verrrry difficult to curb her instinct to chase anything that moves. My Shih-Tzu on the other hand is the total opposite and can't be bothered to waste energy chasing anything. Or he just gets down right scared of it. But my point is you can't always teach your dogs to be as respectful towards wildlife as we are, even if you are a good pet owner.
1.0 Merauke (Bruce)
1.0 Northern (Hobbes)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”