Hi All,
So I have another quick question. I have only had my BTS a few weeks and I have had to learn on the fly as I mentioned in a previous post. Well, my Irian Jaya (I think that's what she is?) started shedding yesterday. I came home to find two little scale sheds around her nose had peeled back and she had two bloody scratches on her head. She has also been hiding for the last couple of weeks. (I don't know if that's connected or not.) Today, she is shedding like crazy! I'd say she's 50% done already! The tank is full of little shedded scales!
So, being that I am a brand new BTS owner, not to mention a brand new reptile owner, what do I need to do for her while she sheds?! I am primarily worried about her beautiful toes! My other skink, Stubs has no toes on most of his feet because his previous owner neglected him somewhat. (Hence, his name!) I don't want this to happen to Ellouise! Right now her feet look like they have little gloves on them. Any advise about humidity, misting, water baths or just leaving her alone would be appreciated. Is it okay to pet her and help her shed or is that a no-no?!
I did a search in the forum but didn't find exactly what I was looking for! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
(I did read through the "Earplug and Shedding Advice" Post. Would love some general info as well.)
Shedding Advice Needed
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Shedding Advice Needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Emz3 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Shedding Advice Needed
Normally, skinks don't bleed when shedding. Either she scraped it against something, or her roommate's not too happy with the recent changes. Hope that doesn't escalate.
As for shedding, they can generally handle it on their own. You can add a moist hide for them to use, and/or more things to rub against. If the shed is still on after a week, try a warm bath and some gentle rubbing.
As for shedding, they can generally handle it on their own. You can add a moist hide for them to use, and/or more things to rub against. If the shed is still on after a week, try a warm bath and some gentle rubbing.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Shedding Advice Needed
Thanks Fatal_S! I had the same thoughts exactly in regards to the bloody scratch. (i.e. she scraped it or the other skink nailed her.) It really freaked me out to tell you the truth! They have lived together for years apparently but it still makes me nervous! The scratch looks like it could be either or. Although with most animal bites there is usually top and bottom puncture marks. This is only on the top. Could she have done it to herself, scratching with a hind leg?
She has been "redecorating" the tank over the last few days. She has been moving her full water bowl around and pushing the basking rock and logs. I think she scratched herself on the rock, but I am keeping a close eye on them both while I work out their living arrangements!
Is it common for skinks to show aggression during shedding?
She has been "redecorating" the tank over the last few days. She has been moving her full water bowl around and pushing the basking rock and logs. I think she scratched herself on the rock, but I am keeping a close eye on them both while I work out their living arrangements!
Is it common for skinks to show aggression during shedding?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Shedding Advice Needed
looks hesd bitey,they dont always leave marks from both jaws,head biting is common in skink aggression,could also be from rubbing on something,but on top of head isnt usually the spot that it happens
another clue is u said its been hiding lately,could be the other ones stressing it,hence its hiding
like fatal said"they usually shed fine there selves,but if after a few days they still retain shed,always good to five them a hand
another clue is u said its been hiding lately,could be the other ones stressing it,hence its hiding
like fatal said"they usually shed fine there selves,but if after a few days they still retain shed,always good to five them a hand
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Shedding Advice Needed
Yep, like it says in the caresheet... they can live together with years without problems... until there are problems!
Clearly you're working to get them their own houses, so good on you! But while they are together definately try to be extra-vigilant if you can!
Personally, I would move one to another enclosure, anything I had laying around, so long as they could stretch out, move around, and thermoregulate, until I had the proper sized ones for both. But you're a first time reptile owner so you probably don't have the amount of cages I have laying around, haha. (It was way worse when I kept tarantulas)
Lizards and other reptiles generally don't need help with their sheds. My geckos, you wouldn't even know they had shed if you weren't paying attention every day- they eat theirs right off of their body! Sometimes I will help with spots like toes but since I changed their cages to include a vermiculite humid hide instead of moss, it's been much better for them. It just goes to show, under the right conditions, reptiles can be "leave it and watch" pets.
In fact, helping her can be dangerous, if you don't know what you're doing. Tugging off scales that aren't ready to go can cause pain... for instance, if you've ever bit at your nails and had a bit of skin tear off around your finger tip... imagine that except on a lizard! So as helpful as I know you want to be, trust in her instinct. She knows how to shed, she's been doing it her entire life. The only difference now is it's probably a lot easier for her, being in better care!
Emz3, I think I speak for everyone here, that you are what any reptile hobbyist hopes for in a non-reptile person. Here you are, never kept one before, but were able to recognize these guys were in a bad spot, and took them out of it. You're asking all the questions you can and learning everything you can to make sure that these two are happy, healthy lizards. I'll tell you a secret- you're doing better than some reptile hobbyists who have kept herps their entire lives, because you are seeking out and accepting advice and constructive criticisms. I can tell these two are going to live a happy long life with you!!
Lizards and other reptiles generally don't need help with their sheds. My geckos, you wouldn't even know they had shed if you weren't paying attention every day- they eat theirs right off of their body! Sometimes I will help with spots like toes but since I changed their cages to include a vermiculite humid hide instead of moss, it's been much better for them. It just goes to show, under the right conditions, reptiles can be "leave it and watch" pets.
Emz3, I think I speak for everyone here, that you are what any reptile hobbyist hopes for in a non-reptile person. Here you are, never kept one before, but were able to recognize these guys were in a bad spot, and took them out of it. You're asking all the questions you can and learning everything you can to make sure that these two are happy, healthy lizards. I'll tell you a secret- you're doing better than some reptile hobbyists who have kept herps their entire lives, because you are seeking out and accepting advice and constructive criticisms. I can tell these two are going to live a happy long life with you!!
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Shedding Advice Needed
Thank you all for the advise and thank you tylociraptor for the kind words! I really appreciate that! Sometimes I feel like I'm doing pretty good and other times I feel like an f'n moron when it comes to these guys! I've worked in an animal hospital caring for dogs and cats for over 8 years, I have birds and volunteer with birds of prey, but reptiles are completely different! However, I am enjoying the learning process and appreciate everyones advise and constructive criticism! It definitely helps!
Her shedding is still going well! She is not as active today but still was able to get most of her "gloves off! I will definitely leave her be. She seems to be doing just fine. I'll just keep an eye on her toes and tail! Another question though, how often do BTS shed? Stubs was on the tail end of his shed when I got them 3 weeks ago. I also took your advise tylociraptor regarding the new hides. I totally redid their entire tank and I really like it! I hope they will too. (I'll post pics on my other thread. Still not as cool as your set up!
) I hope that any potential "aggression" they were having will subside until I can set up the new digs! I don't have any tanks laying around unfortunately, not to mention all the lighting/heating I will need! I have a 75G fish tank in use and a 20G that is in use. I'm still on the fence regarding if she was bit or not. Although again, it almost makes sense. They are both feeling better, becoming more active, maybe they will start having more spats if I'm not careful! O_o
Anyway, thank for everything...I'm sure I will have more questions sooner than later! -Cheers!
Her shedding is still going well! She is not as active today but still was able to get most of her "gloves off! I will definitely leave her be. She seems to be doing just fine. I'll just keep an eye on her toes and tail! Another question though, how often do BTS shed? Stubs was on the tail end of his shed when I got them 3 weeks ago. I also took your advise tylociraptor regarding the new hides. I totally redid their entire tank and I really like it! I hope they will too. (I'll post pics on my other thread. Still not as cool as your set up!
Anyway, thank for everything...I'm sure I will have more questions sooner than later! -Cheers!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 185 guests
