Skinny babies
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Abrimel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: O'Fallon MO
Skinny babies
So, I went to the local reptile store today and guess what I found! Bts babies and they were northern by the look of it. But all of them looked so skinny! Is it normal for baby bts to be thin? I know in.adults the hipbones should not be showing. These little guys had hips showing and their tails were thin in appearance but they seemed quite active when people passed by and not lethargic. It made me curious since I've never raised a baby. Also, what is the opinion on captivebred.com? They have some really lovely looking northerns right now.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Skinny babies
Most babies are pretty skinny when they are first born. That should change within the first 3 weeks though. They put on weight and grow REALLY fast.
I have not dealt with Donna at captivebred.com myself, but a number of people I respect hold her in high regard. I have never heard anything bad about them, and they have been around a long time. Donna does the skinks, and her husband Tad specializes in the snakes.
I have not dealt with Donna at captivebred.com myself, but a number of people I respect hold her in high regard. I have never heard anything bad about them, and they have been around a long time. Donna does the skinks, and her husband Tad specializes in the snakes.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Abrimel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: O'Fallon MO
Re: Skinny babies
Yeah I briefly spoke to her today when I asked about some of her babies available and they were all rather lovely looking. I think I may go through her since I've only seen good reviews. I really liked some of the interesting hues their babies come in and they offer lots of pictures too.
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Skinny babies
If you look at some of Mel (Fatal_S) more recent posts, she has posted photos of BRAND NEW BABIES! They will give you a good inclination about how very young baby skinks may look.
I know plinkopachinko here on the site got her baby from them. I don't know anything about them myself being from Canada, but I am sure that if you ask her she'd share her experience with you!
I know plinkopachinko here on the site got her baby from them. I don't know anything about them myself being from Canada, but I am sure that if you ask her she'd share her experience with you!
-
Abrimel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: O'Fallon MO
Re: Skinny babies
Yeah these ones were way too skinny if that's what they look like newborn
. I went back yesterday by chance to get more aspen (snake cage cleaning day!) and they were feeding them only crickets and romaine lettuce. I tried to talk to the girl at the counter but she had no idea. The owner (a very nice man by the way) later came out and introduced himself and said he'd seen me there a lot. Well we got to talking and I kindly pointed out that crickets andlettuce was not a good diet for ANY reptile let alone a bluey. I printed out the caresheet here and returned later with it. This poor guy had been completely misled by whomever sold him these babies and was upset. Being as old as he was I'm not certain the internet is something he's too familiar with but I gave him the link to the forum as well as the website.
Sorry I didn't get to post this the other day lol, it was a very busy day and one of my ball pythons got free and we were going crazy looking for him.
Sorry I didn't get to post this the other day lol, it was a very busy day and one of my ball pythons got free and we were going crazy looking for him.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Skinny babies
Abrimel wrote: Being as old as he was I'm not certain the internet is something he's too familiar with but I gave him the link to the forum as well as the website.
I guess all those who made the first computers and developed the internet are all too old to be familiar with it now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
Abrimel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: O'Fallon MO
Re: Skinny babies
Um...this dude didn't know you could get internet on smart phones. I also would like to point out he still used a traditional early 80s register. One of the charms of the place. It's old fashioned but has great quality supplies and for great prices. He admitted his daughter did all the ordering of products, but he heard blue tongues were popular from his grandson and that's why he wanted some for the store. I'm pretty sure my grandma can kick my butt on the internet but this guy? Questionable. Lol but he is a sweetheart so it can all be excused.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Skinny babies
Abrimel wrote:Um...this dude didn't know you could get internet on smart phones.
Maybe he doesn't care that you can get internet on a smart phone. It is possible to live a normal life without being connected to the internet 24/7.
Abrimel wrote: I also would like to point out he still used a traditional early 80s register.
If the register is serving its purpose why would he need to upgrade?
Abrimel wrote: I'm pretty sure my grandma can kick my butt on the internet but this guy? Questionable. Lol but he is a sweetheart so it can all be excused.
I don't think you are intending to be ageist but you are digging a deeper hole with statements like this. He can be excused his (in your view) technical 'shortcomings' because he is a sweetheart. I guess being a grumpy old man I will need to be tech savvy because I can't use being a sweetheart as a defense.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Skinny babies
come on norm,your a sweetheart to,lol
some northern litters,well scincoides,easterns to,probably tannies to can be skinny boof headed looking,othets rotund in appearance,usually if healthy the skinny tykes catch up fast though
some northern litters,well scincoides,easterns to,probably tannies to can be skinny boof headed looking,othets rotund in appearance,usually if healthy the skinny tykes catch up fast though
-
Abrimel
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: O'Fallon MO
Re: Skinny babies
No it wasn't my intention at all. However, my experience in my home town is that a lot of the retired community is not willing to change or learn new technology skills simply because they see no need for it. My grandmother is great with a computer, however not everyone that's above 70 learned how too. But regardless, I'm sorry I offended you, I'll just refrain from mentioning ages since its such a sensitive subject for some people.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 192 guests
