Page 1 of 1
Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
Hey guys I've got a question.... I got my blue tongue this week and feel pretty knowledgeable of them, but right now I am annoyed because he will not eat what seems like a full meal. He just snacks and picks out the sweet fruits. So far I've offered blue buffalo brand cat food, banana, mango, papaya, carrot, collard greens, grape, strawberry, squash, superworms, and turnip greens. Out of that he picked out banana, mango, grape, and papaya bites. Small bites every feeding. He must be hungry. Should I just keep offering a variety or should I take out fruits to give him only meat and veggies?
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
Also if youre wondering anything about him, his caging, lighting, locale etc. Just ask.
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:29 pm
by Jeff
Welcome to the forum! How old is your skink? I never feed my skinks fruit. It is not bad for them in small amounts, but it is not necessary either. I think many skinks will kind of get "hooked' on fruit if they are given the opportunity. I would suggest eliminating the fruit until he starts eating the other stuff.
As far as how often to feed and how long to let him not eat, it really depends on the age of the skink.
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
He is an adult irian jaya, the girl that sold me him purchased him from an expo in arlington almost 11 months ago while he was a little more than a baby. So im guessing he a little more than a year old.
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 pm
by Jeff
A healthy adult can go weeks without eating with no negative affects. I would only offer food once a week, and not worry at all if he doesn't eat for a couple weeks. It may take that long for him to accept that he is not going to get fruit, and eat what you give him.
Any chance you could post some pictures? It would be great to make sure he is not starting out underweight or something. We also just like to see pictures.

Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
Definately, if i can find a way to post pictures off of my iphone to the computer. One moment
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:02 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
I put it in the attachments but im not sure how it will upload
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:16 pm
by Jeff
Great looking indo! The picture worked great, and he definitely looks to be in good shape, so you don't need to worry about him starving to death if he misses a meal or two.
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:13 pm
by Susann
Just to clarify;
you have an Indonesian BTS, not an Irian Jaya.
Not a big deal, but good to have correct information on your animal

Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:36 pm
by Logan_Oklahoma
Yeah haha i figured that out now... But he finally ate a good meal for me! I guess it just took him a while to get settled in.
If youre wondering it was of collard greens, beet greens, squash, and some blue buffalo brand cat food. Plus it was a pretty good sized meal.

And there is a reptile show that im goin to this weekend to help my friend vend, so i was wondering what some good feeder insects you guys would recommend me getting for my BTS? Besides crickets, I was thinking maybe dubias or something?
Re: Blue tongue feeding
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:42 pm
by Linnea
regular crickets arent very good nutrition wise, but dubias are recommended greatly

and theyre more quiet......
silkworms, hornworms....are some good choices. superworms are good treats, if i remember correctly.
you can even invest in good sized snails
