Cohabitation with Beardies?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Re: Cohabitation with Beardies?

Postby Lea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 pm

Oh, just another word of caution- because the texture is quite different in shop bought sand, to that in the wild, it can stick in the eyes and ears more readily. Using a shallower base of sand, with a few rocks and pebbles to prevent burrowing in that area, can prevent these potential issues, but really, avoiding sand altogether in a vivarium, is probably for the best.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tylociraptor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm sure animals die of impaction from licking at sand in the wild too, though. In captivity, especially in the states and Canada where we can't get aussie sand, we have an obligation to make sure our animals are safe. Unless there's documented proof that beardies benefit from sand (greated than the risk of impaction, mind you), I'd stay away from it period. You do make a good point with the sticking to the eyes and ears as well! I wouldn't think to use it in a mixture with any loose substrate myself, and would probably avoid it to be on the safe side, again, without documented proof that the benefit outweighs the risk. In fact, it surprised me that BTS do better in a loose substrate like aspen, simply because of the risks I am aware of with most lizards. I'd intended to keep mine on tile, until reading about how much they like the burrowing! (ironically, one of the reasons I decided against going with my initial plan- an ackie or a kimberly rock monitor- was because I could not supply the amount of substrate reccomended, the minimum being six inches. It would have been too heavy for the cage, and would have depleted much of the height of the cage that the monitors require!)
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Even in the hills and wooded habitats, in SA, the soil is often sandy. Throughout most of the arid regions, there is nothing but sand!knowing the risks in captivity, however, it is best avoided, as you say, because the risks are evident.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tylociraptor » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Quite agreed. :) Just like many things about the animals natural habitat are dangerous, we don't want to replicate THOSE in captivity. No matter how beautiful sand can make a terrarium look! :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”