Strange Skink Owners
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Strange Skink Owners
When my skinks huff at me, I huff at them. It results in a "what-the-" suspicious look which I find hilarious.
Anyone else have strange skink-habits?
Anyone else have strange skink-habits?
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
I knew I was going to get that reply...
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Bowdoin55
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Illinois, USA
Re: Strange Skink Owners
My wife and I sing to our cats pretty much everyday. I'm sure once I have BTS again, I'll sing to them, too.
Cheers,
David
Cheers,
David
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Do the cats sing back?
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- scaredofbees
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 121
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
- Country: US
- Location: Pittsburgh
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
I find myself saying "Oh, hey guys!" when I walk into the room that their enclosure is in every morning.
My wife used to introduce our first blue tongue skink to visitors as the "wiener-dog" of the lizard world.
On a somewhat related note, we have a 3 year old. When she's doing something "bad", we count to 3 until "time out". About a month ago, my dog would not come back into the house from outside. I hollered, I whistled... nothing. He just stood there looking at me. I became so flustered because he's usually so obedient and I needed him back in the house immediately, that I found myself angrily counting out loud at him. I stopped at two when the older daughter asked, " Dad, are you counting... for the dog?"
My wife used to introduce our first blue tongue skink to visitors as the "wiener-dog" of the lizard world.
On a somewhat related note, we have a 3 year old. When she's doing something "bad", we count to 3 until "time out". About a month ago, my dog would not come back into the house from outside. I hollered, I whistled... nothing. He just stood there looking at me. I became so flustered because he's usually so obedient and I needed him back in the house immediately, that I found myself angrily counting out loud at him. I stopped at two when the older daughter asked, " Dad, are you counting... for the dog?"
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
- Bowdoin55
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Illinois, USA
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Fatal_S wrote:Do the cats sing back?
Yup. Does that make the behavior less strange?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Scared, did the dog respond? My dog responds to all the same things the kids in the family are expected to. If mom started "3...2..." the dog would be cowering at her feet instantly. Snapping the fingers and pointing responds in an instant dog-in-that-spot reaction.
Bow, no, but it makes the cats more adorable.
Bow, no, but it makes the cats more adorable.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- anchietae
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Western Washington, USA
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Fatal_S wrote:When my skinks huff at me, I huff at them.
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Haha, I've tried the huffing thing too. I also tried sticking my tongue out at the new baby a few days after I got him and he would do it back. Since I figure he thought I was threat displaying at him or something I stopped, but it was adorable.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Strange Skink Owners
i talk to mine,say hello then think hmm,why,they dont understand me,lol,they must look at me and think what the
- Crazy76
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am
- Country:
- Location: Sydney NSW
Re: Strange Skink Owners
I once clicked with my mouth (you know what you do to say giddy up to a horse) at my slow printer, it was a concerning moment, perhaps spending too much time with the ponies!! Yes I feel a bit crazy sometimes.
And I always have conversations with my blue tongues, asking them if it's too hot or cold for them ATM? Or if they are hungry today? I am def weird!!
Emma
And I always have conversations with my blue tongues, asking them if it's too hot or cold for them ATM? Or if they are hungry today? I am def weird!!
Emma
1 Eastern Blue Tongue (Oz) and 2 Shinglebacks (Neiko and Kali)
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Not only do we both huff back at Coomassie, we now huff at each other. You know crazy cat ladies? Yea, I'm a crazy reptile lady. I often would rather be home watching Coomassie chase down roaches than deal with people. Also, I talk about my reptiles like my sister talks about her baby.
Cay T.
- tylociraptor
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 299
- Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: NB, Canada
Re: Strange Skink Owners
I cooed over my boa baby's poop yesterday, I'm sure that counts!
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
LMAO this has got to be one of the best threads on this site.
I don't have a bluey yet, but I have Munchkin-Napoleon cat named Ronny.
He lives in our recording studio, and he would usually mess up the tracks because he sings along to whoever is recording at the moment. We praise and baby talk him and it makes him sing along even more. He even came up to the drums on the floor and started to hit them with his paws. I love speaking to him, every time I compliment him he falls on his back and starts to wiggle around all happily. Speaking to your animals should never be frowned upon! Whether they understand what you're saying is not that important, it's more your tone of voice!
I don't have a bluey yet, but I have Munchkin-Napoleon cat named Ronny.
He lives in our recording studio, and he would usually mess up the tracks because he sings along to whoever is recording at the moment. We praise and baby talk him and it makes him sing along even more. He even came up to the drums on the floor and started to hit them with his paws. I love speaking to him, every time I compliment him he falls on his back and starts to wiggle around all happily. Speaking to your animals should never be frowned upon! Whether they understand what you're saying is not that important, it's more your tone of voice!
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
lol i baby talk all my skinks and stick out my tongue at them, dont normally huff though cause it scares my indo 
I say good morning to everyone in the reptile room and good night to everyone when i go to bed
I say good morning to everyone in the reptile room and good night to everyone when i go to bed
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Strange Skink Owners
This thread somewhat reminds me of the "do BTS have feelings". When skeeter is in his tube hide, and I call to him, he comes running - - literally. Sometimes he is at the back side of the "U" and I can hear him!
I call him Skeeter Deeter sometimes (because it rhymes I guess?) and he gets even more excited. Some say "he just wants to eat" but that isn't the case - he will head butt my hand (like a cat) and loves his chin and belly rubbed.
Not saying he dosen't get excited when he knows its feeding time.
I call him Skeeter Deeter sometimes (because it rhymes I guess?) and he gets even more excited. Some say "he just wants to eat" but that isn't the case - he will head butt my hand (like a cat) and loves his chin and belly rubbed.
Not saying he dosen't get excited when he knows its feeding time.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
-
Rachael t
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:36 am
- Country:
- Location: QLD, Australia
Re: Strange Skink Owners
Some people think I am strange just for owning a Blue tongue....
Rachael, Lizzie and Tripod
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Strange Skink Owners
I was thinking the same thing - and not must my BTS - but all my reptiles. They just can't understand why I love them so much. But like I have said in the past - If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.
Actually, my train of thought is that the people who don't love reptiles (especially the lovable BTS) are the ones who are crazy!
Actually, my train of thought is that the people who don't love reptiles (especially the lovable BTS) are the ones who are crazy!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- PlinkoPachinko
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Contact:
Re: Strange Skink Owners
On the rare occasion i see Plinko yawn, sometimes I touch his tongue with my finger. He closes his mouth and stares at me like I'm crazy..
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 253 guests
