Page 1 of 1
Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 am
by Fatal_S
Hank just passed an unfertilized ova (yellow blob). Does anyone know if this means that's all she's doing this season? Or should I still keep her in a maternity tank just in case?
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am
by Jeff
It is common for a female to have both babies and slugs in the same litter. Usually they all come out on the same day, but they can also be spread out over different days.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm
by Fatal_S
Thank you for the reply Jeff.
She passed another ova about 30 minutes ago, and is resting now.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:13 pm
by Jeff
There is still hope then!
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41 pm
by Richard.C
slugs can prolong birthing,especially if they come first,still could be some bubs to come
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm
by Susann
I don't know if this is what you are talking about,
but a couple of weeks before Xyla had her babies, she passed this:
IMG_3344 - Copy.JPG
It was about an inch or so wide, but completely dried out at the time I found it.
I know this picture is really bad, but I tried to get an image of the "rolled-up" quality of it, looked a little like a cinnamon roll:
IMG_3349 - Copy.JPG
This was the reason I was keeping a closer eye on her, even though, after 7 mos, I was SURE she wasn't gravid, but was worrying that she may be logged by some more of these.
Is this what you are talking about?
And if it isn't, does anyone know what this was?
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:00 pm
by Fatal_S
Those look more like odd-urates. They are definitely not ova.
I took a photo of the first ova. It's not exactly an appealing photo (and there's lots of poop, yesterday that got cleaned up):

Hank is still very uncomfortable and trying to push something out. I'm not sure what I could do to make her feel better. Poor girl.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:30 pm
by iLoveMyLizard
Fatal_S wrote:Those look more like odd-urates. They are definitely not ova.
I took a photo of the first ova. It's not exactly an appealing photo (and there's lots of poop, yesterday that got cleaned up):

Hank is still very uncomfortable and trying to push something out. I'm not sure what I could do to make her feel better. Poor girl.
I dont suppose skinks are able to be bathed at this point in time? If you have ever heard of a drink called powerade, bathing them in a bath of 90%water 10% powerade (low concentration to keep sugars down) will add a few electrolytes, salts etc and hydrate her slightly. Also, any watter supplements with electrolytes would be great, Zoo med reptisafe for instance. Just little boosts such as these could maybe make a difference

Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:42 pm
by Fatal_S
Hank had been continuing to strain to get something out. Just now I found another ova, this one not as nice looking, along with feces and urates. So that's at least 3 of these so far, though there could have been more that I wasn't around to see.
I get so worried when I see her straining. It doesn't seem natural for her to be having such a hard time of this. I'm keeping a very close eye on her.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:19 pm
by Fatal_S
Judging by her behaviour and body language, there's still something going on.
You know what it looks like when a skink sneezes? That big ripply movement? Her belly just did that. Very strange. And she keeps adjusting her stomach.
I feel awful having her knocked up if this is the result. She's miserable and there's nothing to show for it so far. Poor girl.
And another this morning. I caught her eating it.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:43 pm
by Kbell31
Is this her first time/litter?
Im sure its hard for you to watch, but we all know its not unnatural to have some issue at times. Dont be so hard on yourself, you couldnt have known this would happen!
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 pm
by Katrina
Callie passed an unfert. ova yesterday, not sure if there is anything else coming from that.

But Hank and Callie are on the same timeline!
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 am
by Fatal_S
She seemed normal, and this morning I glanced over just in time to catch her eating ova #5. So something is still going on.
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:03 am
by Richard.C
gotta be quick to see them eat it,lol,hopefully a suprise still beckoning,main thing i guess is she gets it all out and stays in good shape