Unfertilized Ova
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Unfertilized Ova
Hank just passed an unfertilized ova (yellow blob). Does anyone know if this means that's all she's doing this season? Or should I still keep her in a maternity tank just in case?
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
It is common for a female to have both babies and slugs in the same litter. Usually they all come out on the same day, but they can also be spread out over different days.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Thank you for the reply Jeff.
She passed another ova about 30 minutes ago, and is resting now.
She passed another ova about 30 minutes ago, and is resting now.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
There is still hope then!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Unfertilized Ova
slugs can prolong birthing,especially if they come first,still could be some bubs to come
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Unfertilized Ova
I don't know if this is what you are talking about,
but a couple of weeks before Xyla had her babies, she passed this:
It was about an inch or so wide, but completely dried out at the time I found it.
I know this picture is really bad, but I tried to get an image of the "rolled-up" quality of it, looked a little like a cinnamon roll:
This was the reason I was keeping a closer eye on her, even though, after 7 mos, I was SURE she wasn't gravid, but was worrying that she may be logged by some more of these.
Is this what you are talking about?
And if it isn't, does anyone know what this was?
but a couple of weeks before Xyla had her babies, she passed this:
It was about an inch or so wide, but completely dried out at the time I found it.
I know this picture is really bad, but I tried to get an image of the "rolled-up" quality of it, looked a little like a cinnamon roll:
This was the reason I was keeping a closer eye on her, even though, after 7 mos, I was SURE she wasn't gravid, but was worrying that she may be logged by some more of these.
Is this what you are talking about?
And if it isn't, does anyone know what this was?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Those look more like odd-urates. They are definitely not ova.
I took a photo of the first ova. It's not exactly an appealing photo (and there's lots of poop, yesterday that got cleaned up):

Hank is still very uncomfortable and trying to push something out. I'm not sure what I could do to make her feel better. Poor girl.
I took a photo of the first ova. It's not exactly an appealing photo (and there's lots of poop, yesterday that got cleaned up):

Hank is still very uncomfortable and trying to push something out. I'm not sure what I could do to make her feel better. Poor girl.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Fatal_S wrote:Those look more like odd-urates. They are definitely not ova.
I took a photo of the first ova. It's not exactly an appealing photo (and there's lots of poop, yesterday that got cleaned up):
Hank is still very uncomfortable and trying to push something out. I'm not sure what I could do to make her feel better. Poor girl.
I dont suppose skinks are able to be bathed at this point in time? If you have ever heard of a drink called powerade, bathing them in a bath of 90%water 10% powerade (low concentration to keep sugars down) will add a few electrolytes, salts etc and hydrate her slightly. Also, any watter supplements with electrolytes would be great, Zoo med reptisafe for instance. Just little boosts such as these could maybe make a difference

1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Hank had been continuing to strain to get something out. Just now I found another ova, this one not as nice looking, along with feces and urates. So that's at least 3 of these so far, though there could have been more that I wasn't around to see.
I get so worried when I see her straining. It doesn't seem natural for her to be having such a hard time of this. I'm keeping a very close eye on her.
I get so worried when I see her straining. It doesn't seem natural for her to be having such a hard time of this. I'm keeping a very close eye on her.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Judging by her behaviour and body language, there's still something going on.
You know what it looks like when a skink sneezes? That big ripply movement? Her belly just did that. Very strange. And she keeps adjusting her stomach.
I feel awful having her knocked up if this is the result. She's miserable and there's nothing to show for it so far. Poor girl.
And another this morning. I caught her eating it.
You know what it looks like when a skink sneezes? That big ripply movement? Her belly just did that. Very strange. And she keeps adjusting her stomach.
I feel awful having her knocked up if this is the result. She's miserable and there's nothing to show for it so far. Poor girl.
And another this morning. I caught her eating it.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Is this her first time/litter?
Im sure its hard for you to watch, but we all know its not unnatural to have some issue at times. Dont be so hard on yourself, you couldnt have known this would happen!
Im sure its hard for you to watch, but we all know its not unnatural to have some issue at times. Dont be so hard on yourself, you couldnt have known this would happen!
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Unfertilized Ova
Callie passed an unfert. ova yesterday, not sure if there is anything else coming from that.
But Hank and Callie are on the same timeline!
But Hank and Callie are on the same timeline!- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Unfertilized Ova
She seemed normal, and this morning I glanced over just in time to catch her eating ova #5. So something is still going on.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Unfertilized Ova
gotta be quick to see them eat it,lol,hopefully a suprise still beckoning,main thing i guess is she gets it all out and stays in good shape
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests
