Page 1 of 1

Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 pm
by stephster575
Can I use Carefresh rodent bedding for my skinks? I actually have been using it for a couple months now, as aspen made my skink sneeze. Since I changed, she hasn't been sneezing. However, some of her carefresh got in her water, and I noticed it expanded. Aspen doesn't really do this. She doesn't ingest her bedding, but if she were to by accident, would this be hazardous?

So basically my question is; Is Carefresh safe to use for my gorgeous skinks? The aspen I get has a bit of dust to it (it was all aspen, not a mix), and I like the Carefresh because it doesn't have this. Is it okay to use?

Thank you! :)

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 pm
by Jeff
It is ok! I don't use it myself, but many others do. If anyone tells you that there is only one way to keep your BTS, don't listen to anything else they say. There are multiple ways to meet the needs of of blueys. The best thing to do is to ask before you do it if you are not sure - exactly like you did.

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 am
by Jenn
I have used carefresh in the past and it's been fine. The only thing I would recommend watching is how your skink sheds. I found that some of my guys had a harder time shedding with it. This was easily solved by just adding a humid hide to the tank around shedding time.

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 am
by Alioop
I bought a bag of it so my skinks had something nice & soft to burrow into when they were brumating this past winter. Now I'm mixing it with aspen just to use the rest of it up. No issues so far, aside from the fact that it is rather dry.

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm
by Scooter_in_Kindergarten
I found that care fresh had a lot more 'dust' when used, and can really dry out your tank. I'm sure it would work great though for any normal skink, as long as you keep in mind the dryness of your tank :)

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:34 am
by tiliqua38
I tried Carefresh once many years ago. It is more drying than anything else, including aspen. But my complaint about it was that it is too "soft" for a larger lizard. Bubba would just sink right down to the glass bottom. The aspen compacts and holds his weight more when he walks across it. It's also awesome for burrowing.

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:36 am
by Fatal_S
I do not like Carefresh, both because of how dry it is, and because I had a skink who got the fibers wrapped around his toes. It's not something I'd be terribly worried about happening, but it did colour my already-negative opinion of Carefresh.

Re: Carefresh For Skinks?

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm
by Snickers :)
I use carefresh for Snickers and he seems to do well with it, I do find I need to add extra humidity when he sheds though since it's rather dry.