Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
So Toothless's new enclosure is coming tomorrow and I need to start ordering some hides, rocks, etc for him. Was wondering what kind of stuff your blueys like?
In his current house TL has a half log that he seems to like and a basking rock that he hides under instead of basking on.
Has anyone tried those "den" type rocks you can buy at pet stores. Like the rocks with entrances in the front?
In his current house TL has a half log that he seems to like and a basking rock that he hides under instead of basking on.
Has anyone tried those "den" type rocks you can buy at pet stores. Like the rocks with entrances in the front?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
they love hidey spots,especially like your basking so he can hide under,offering options is good to,basking rock one gives a warm hide,and if u have a few they have spots to hide of differing temps.
options are great,especiallly for there well being,even if they hide alot
options are great,especiallly for there well being,even if they hide alot
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Cork log! Coomassie spends a lot of time in there sleeping.
Cay T.
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Skeeter has a tube hide on one side of his enclosure (which is 6' long), a rock hide/basking thing I made for him in the middle, and one of the rock dens you mentioned. He also has lots of artifical plants and branches to climb on - which I change out every other day
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Cork bark for sure, I use drift wood / mopani wood which looks great, and lots of slate rocks or various rocks for them to climb over / bask on. The rough surfaces help dull the nails and get shed off. Like Richard said, snug hidey places are enjoyed, so add lots of those. I use the cave / rock type hides and my skinks love them. I also make little DIY hides with slate tiles and put the water dish on top, they like hiding under those and it keeps substrate out of the water. Good luck! Decorating is fun. I found lots of great stuff at a local aquarium store, lots of good rocks and wood pieces. 
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
My eyes poped when I read Kat's idea of putting the water dish on a hide...I probably have seen that before, but getting old
I love that Idea - and I have plenty of flagstone to make it happen. This is going to be awsome for Skeeter (ok..settling down now).
Can't wait till I get a digital camera so I can send pics...really soon now...then watch out!
I love that Idea - and I have plenty of flagstone to make it happen. This is going to be awsome for Skeeter (ok..settling down now).
Can't wait till I get a digital camera so I can send pics...really soon now...then watch out!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Here is links to a couple good threads.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19634&p=388562&hilit=DIY+hides#p388562
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20192&hilit=DIY+hides
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19634&p=388562&hilit=DIY+hides#p388562
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20192&hilit=DIY+hides
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Sylvia's favorite thing is an old ugly cardboard box. It was supposed to be temporary for when I was treating her for mites when I first got her, but she likes it more than anything else I've tried to put in her tank for a cool end hide...
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
my bluey loves his long bark piece (half log shaped, kinda). its quite flat against the substrate, and long enough to fit him however he may want to hide.
his guinea pig house, not so much, but when he wanna climb he goes there. his fake plant is just used for helping him climb....the brick is not used as much as i anticipated, but he does seem to like the comfort of having it there, as he often basks "hidden" beside it.
i got a plastic, tunnel for him, the same as someone else on the forum got, but i bought the larger one and it seems it was too large to be a comforting hide, or he just prefers the bark log.
his guinea pig house, not so much, but when he wanna climb he goes there. his fake plant is just used for helping him climb....the brick is not used as much as i anticipated, but he does seem to like the comfort of having it there, as he often basks "hidden" beside it.
i got a plastic, tunnel for him, the same as someone else on the forum got, but i bought the larger one and it seems it was too large to be a comforting hide, or he just prefers the bark log.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- JMiller24
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: Hanover, PA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
I love this forum! Thanks guys! I'll put up pics then when it's all finished!
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
And we love sharing 
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Zach
- Grand Cicada

- Posts: 7550
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Orygun
- Contact:
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
Whatever you choose, mix it up often! I can't tell you how much my animals come alive when you change up the contents of their enclosures. It really goes to show how intuitive they really are (unless you're Eugene). 

- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
They all LOVE their PVC hides 
The ones that dont have PVC have temporary Pringles cans...I should get some pics of my merauke lounging in her tube
The ones that dont have PVC have temporary Pringles cans...I should get some pics of my merauke lounging in her tube
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
-
ShortStack
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 47
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Florida
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
I made Coby some hides/basking areas out of tiles. Just bought some tiles from Home Depot and small pvc pieces to make 4 legs. Looks like little tables. He has one to bask on and hide under and another to hide under on his cool side and that one also has his food/water on it. I got the idea from some other members on here, and it was the best thing I put in his tank. He loves to burrow up under them.
0.0.1 Northern BTS(Coby), 0.1 Iguana(Spice), 3.1 Dogs(Ali, Duke, Bo, and Daisy), 1.1 BP's(Snickers and Laila), and 0.1 Corn(Candy)
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Your Bluey's favorite decorations?
I know this reply may be a bit late - but I posted some pics of Skeeter's enclosure
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 207 guests
