Page 1 of 1

GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 am
by BluePrincess
:) Hi. I live in the USA and I'm getting set to acquire a new bts. Wondering if I can ask some questions here.

1) Are bts territorial and if so why?

2) An acquaintance of mine that is a vet says that bts aren't very social. Another friend of mine that breeds bts {as well as other reptiles} said that that's not true. Any reason why I got two different answers?

3) Are male bts friendlier or are female bts friendlier?

4) Open question guys. How big {length/height and weight} is the biggest bts anyone on the forum has ever seen?

5) Do bts eat every day?

My bts is going to be a therapeutic animal for me and will be helping treat the effects of cerebral palsy in my muscular system.

Btw. Even though this is an article about snakes this is where I got the idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1079623/Welcome-reptile-therapy--slithery-snake-massage-designed-help-relax.html :)

Re: GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:13 am
by Richard.C
first off,welcome to the forum

to answer your questions

1, yes and no,theres many species of bluetongue,some are quite territorial,others not so bad some its more the males,others its both species,some the females can even have goes at the males,but even in the more aggressive species,some can get along fine,so its probably safest to err on the side of caution and house most species seperatly as even some that get along for years can suddenly turn

2,same as question 1,in the wild some live in loose groups,but not always,they all have territories and pecking orders,in captivity,especially indoors,but even outdoors,its hard to offer that in a restricted area soin general they arent a colony animal,generally they stick tothem selves,but at times they can be found in numbers in a quite small area

3,6 of one,half a dozen of the other,both sexes can be quite friendly or equally not friendly

4,biggest inbulkand lengthive seen in the flesh was a female northern at 67 cm,wellovera kilo in weight,id estimate 1.5 at the least,biggest i know of confirmed is a male northern at 82 cm and still going strong,possably longer now,heighestis hard to say,seen some hefty blotchies,big females that it would behardfor any to be higher than,buthefty any species are capable of being classed as highest

5, depends on how much u feed them,if they eat there fill every meal generally no not every day,but if small amounts per meal they can,young growing ones also eat more times per week than fully mature ones,as a general rule,thoughfemales cycling eat alot more than non reproductive females as they have to eat for developing bubs and to regain condition after having them quickly before brumation again

Re: GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am
by Susann
I'm in a bit of a hurry, and even though I'd love to, don't have time to answer each of your questions individually. I will say though, that most of your questions are answered to a degree in the wonderful Caresheet on this site.

What I wanted to jump on and address though, is the fact that you are looking to a BTS as a therapy animal. I didn't read the article that you linked in your post, but just looking at the title of it, I'm wondering if a BTS is your best choice.
I obviously don't know how much your CP affects your ability to use the fine muscles in your hands, but most BTS can be a bit tricky to hang on to. Especially a young one.
Owning both a BTS and a snake, I would definitely recommend a snake over a BTS for a therapy animal if you have dexterity-difficulties.

You said you have a friend who breeds BTS. Have you had the chance to try holding a fully grown BTS? I would definitely suggest you spend quite a bit of time handling several different BTS before buying one, as they can have very different temperaments.

I don't meant to sound discouraging, but simply want you to make a good decision.

Good luck, and let us know if we can do any more to help. :D

Re: GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:30 pm
by Richard.C
Blueys are pretty easy to handle,even feisty ones, generally alot easier than snakes,even juvie snakes,guess im used to pythons though

I just dont class blueys as difficult to handle,even nutty wild ones

Re: GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm
by Spindown
My blues if given the chance will zip up my clothes into my hair. They can be wiggly if you arent holding them correctly, and if you have less than perfect control of your muscles in your hands, could very easily be dropped (i've got severe carpal tunnel and I have to hold mine in my lap, just in case). Mine are all very active and like to explore, vs being snuggly and calm, so I'd say a more docile snake species (ball python, etc) or even a bearded dragon would be easier. Beardies are content (normally) to just sit on you and be held :)

Not saying a bluey wouldnt be good for you, if you can handle the possibility of it being more active than you'd think.

I feed my adult blueys once a week, with dubia or snail snacks thrown in when i feel like it :D

My biggest bluey is 23 (although i'm betting she'll hit 24'') soon.

Read the care sheet, most of your answers are there.

Re: GETTING READY FOR NEW BLUE

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:49 am
by Richard.C
Hmm,u guys must feed them steroids,there quite easy to restrain,if u hold them right,even feisty ones,if u struggle to hold one properly restrained,good luck trying to restrain a ball python or even a struggling beardy

Blueys are one of the most manageable reptiles handling wise,even aggressive ones, there solid enough to hold on to tightly if need be,not generally needed if u arent intimidated buy them,try holding a beardy tight,probably hurt it, plus add on it scratching u when it struggles

And a python that struggles or gets defensive, all can do it,thats far from easy to handle,they arent like pool noodles

I cant think of a better animal for the original poster of this thread,if they want a tame species,for handling,perhaps stay clear of indos ect and lean towards a captive bred northern bluetongue