Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Decided to switch to a more humidity friendly substrate since the AC is drying out the air and went ahead and tried to give Sylvia some more space to move around. Saving up for a larger, nicer enclosure for her and can't wait until she has more space.
This was her set up for a while. It worked, but she didn't have much space to turn around between her hides.
I went to Lowes and picked up some cypress mulch and plumbing connectors to make a sort of tunnel in one corner to serve as her cool end hide. It's also easier for her to climb on top of instead of her white box.
Kept the milk crate to serve as basking spot/warm end hide.
So this is how it looks now, minus the piece of wood in the corner. I took that out because I couldn't stabilize it to my liking.
She's got some more floor space to move around in and I'll see how the tunnel does. It has two openings instead of one so I'm not sure if she will feel as secure in it as she did her box. If I see her choosing her warm hide more than usual I might have to scrap this layout or come up with something else.
Eventually I hope to stack some nice BTS enclosures on Amara's.
This was her set up for a while. It worked, but she didn't have much space to turn around between her hides.
I went to Lowes and picked up some cypress mulch and plumbing connectors to make a sort of tunnel in one corner to serve as her cool end hide. It's also easier for her to climb on top of instead of her white box.
Kept the milk crate to serve as basking spot/warm end hide.
So this is how it looks now, minus the piece of wood in the corner. I took that out because I couldn't stabilize it to my liking.
She's got some more floor space to move around in and I'll see how the tunnel does. It has two openings instead of one so I'm not sure if she will feel as secure in it as she did her box. If I see her choosing her warm hide more than usual I might have to scrap this layout or come up with something else.
Eventually I hope to stack some nice BTS enclosures on Amara's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Cool idea, I like the pipe tunnel. I might steal that idea 
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
I like the pipe idea too, does anyone know if they have black pvc?
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Love the tunnel, you are very creative!
- Krippschick
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 556
- Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 am
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Im pretty sure there is black pvc...if im not mistaken i have seen it at home depot.
You Only Live Once.
*Nikki*
*Nikki*
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
We use PVC for our snakes but I've never tried it with Coomassie. I may have to give it a go. Also, I'm pretty sure we need more Sylvia pictures. She has the cutest face.
Cay T.
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
There is also black plastic tubing in the garden section that I think is for irrigation, but I wanted to be able to see any poop or other nasties that she might leave behind in there. I love just walking around a Lowes or Home Depot and trying out things, I highly recommend it. At the moment she is more interested in digging around the cypress mulch than investigating the tunnel, but she's at least dragged her thermo/hygrometer a few times.
I'll be posting up some pictures of Sylvia and Amara soon. We've all been settling into the new apartment so I've been taking less than usual.
I'll be posting up some pictures of Sylvia and Amara soon. We've all been settling into the new apartment so I've been taking less than usual.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Typically "Black PVC" (called ABS) availability will depend on your local plumbing codes. It is hard to find in my area due to local codes not requiring it. As Karen mentioned, they do offer corrugated pipe (typically sold in 4" and 6" diameters) for lawn irrigation. Since it is corrugated, it has ridges that may help with traction.
Brad
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Karen- Looks good! I have always thought about using various plumbing pieces for the skink cages, just never got around to it.
Brad
- VampyricAngelX
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Nice looking tank. I also love the look of the pipe
Every time I go to Lowes with the boyfriend I look at all the random stuff there and think about how they would work in a reptile tank 
2.4 leopard geckos
1.0 crested gecko
1 Indonesian BTS
1.0 crested gecko
1 Indonesian BTS
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Thanks everyone. I did think about the corrugated but I figured it might be harder to clean with the crevices.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Love the tube idea also. I have Skeeter in a 6' x 2' enclosure - but always love ideas like this - using material for something it isn't intended to be.
For the corregated tubes - are they the ones used you attach to your drain spouts to move the water away from the house? If so - seems like the BTs would not like since so "bumpy"? I may be thinking of something else.
But, definitely borrowing (I don't steal) this idea - thanks so much for sharing
For the corregated tubes - are they the ones used you attach to your drain spouts to move the water away from the house? If so - seems like the BTs would not like since so "bumpy"? I may be thinking of something else.
But, definitely borrowing (I don't steal) this idea - thanks so much for sharing
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Very nice!
For some reason I can never find nice smooth flat garden rocks at home depot here. Sylvia looks very happy and adorable! 
Where did you get that white tank beneath Sylvia's?
Where did you get that white tank beneath Sylvia's?

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Lunaire - I think it was the PVC piping that was bought at Home Depot. For flat garden rocks (flagstone) if you have a quarry in your area they will have them, or perhaps craig's list. Or, I can send you one - I have a LOT of flagstone
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Looks great! Great use of the space, this will be good inspiration for newer members. Thanks for posting the pics! 
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
skeetersmom - That is what I was referring to actually. What i did like about it is that it can be extended and contracted to fit more easily and it's flexible to some degree.
Lunaire - The white enclosure is a 48"W x 24"D x 18"H Pro-line modular cage built by Ed Lilley at Constrictors Northwest. I'll be posting up a few more pictures in the Off-topic section later with a little review on it.
Lunaire - The white enclosure is a 48"W x 24"D x 18"H Pro-line modular cage built by Ed Lilley at Constrictors Northwest. I'll be posting up a few more pictures in the Off-topic section later with a little review on it.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
I really love the tunnel
It looks great!
- KellyandLindsey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 236
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Denver Colorado
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Scooter_in_Kindergarten wrote:Cool idea, I like the pipe tunnel. I might steal that idea
I might to
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Rearranging Sylvia's Tank (Lots of pictures)
Spreading ideas is what this forum is for! I encourage stealing, borrowing, taking, my ideas!
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- KellyandLindsey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 236
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Denver Colorado
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 195 guests
