Merauke and Tanimbar Humidity (opinions)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
LotusFallacy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 am
Country:
Location: Florida

Merauke and Tanimbar Humidity (opinions)

Postby LotusFallacy » Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Based of off allot of what i have been reading these two seem to have high humidity and heat requirements,now aside from this wrist cramping hand misting i do every few hours when the coco fiber starts to get "dusty" would a Repti Fogger be a good route to go for bringing the humidity to 100 % or is that too much for these guys? I see also the automatic misters as an option but they look like they would be irritating. Although' i assume they get a good deal of rain fall in more natural conditions. I have no problem getting these guys to a comfortable 85 degrees so the heat is fine it just seems to drys out in there rather quickly. They are in 50gal terrariums, (As i said) they are on coco fiber,they have a few good sized fake plants a couple rock formation hides and a med size water dish. I was even considering doing a couple custom cages to double the floor space,{ since they have there own room} and maybe have less actual fog produced and/or enough space to escape the rain if the auto mister was used instead in such a vast area but I don't know. I fear in the back of my mind respiratory problems may develop and we wouldn't want that to occur :(
I would really appreciate feedback from anyone willing to Throw free wisdom my way,I would be VERY excited to hear from those of you who keep these species also! maybe clue me in on some solutions you might have come up with. all in all i just want to give my group the most comfortable living situation i can provide,and possibly one day convince them to breed ^^
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Merauke and Tanimbar Humidity (opinions)

Postby Richard.C » Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 pm

beingthat your in florida,i would imagine u get a decent amount of humidity there naturally,i dont think you want to aim for constant high humidity,theres always the risk of bacteria flourishing in a constantly damp enclosure,an option is to spray enclosure in the afternoons ,so they hold humidity over night when it cools down and letting cagedry out during the next day,simulating rainy season afternoon rains

id be more inclined to aim to keep cage dry,and maybe add moist hides as well as dry hides,let them choose what they prefer,u will probably find they use both,main thing is u dont want enclosure constantly wet
User avatar
Krippschick
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 am
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: Merauke and Tanimbar Humidity (opinions)

Postby Krippschick » Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I have a merauke and I mist once a day in the afternoon, just a light misting. I use coco fiber for substrate and I have been doing this for a couple years now, and never had any problems with shedding, respiratory infections or molds/bacteria in the terrrariums. Oh, and I know what you mean by the hand cramping, so you can pick up different bigger misters from a home depot or other hardware type store. I have a pump action one that you pump and its sprays for a while so you do not constantly have to squeeze, and it holds about 2 liters of water. I think I may have paid 10-15 dollars for it. Much easier lol.
You Only Live Once.


*Nikki*
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Merauke and Tanimbar Humidity (opinions)

Postby Spindown » Fri May 25, 2012 4:03 pm

my ambient humidity in my house is normally about 30%, and my guys have never had issues shedding, and I usually have to only pick shed off a toe or two, usually not even that. If i think they need it, i'll mist the cage once while they are all milky, but thats it. I wish my sand boas would shed as beautifully as my skinks!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 350 guests