Plinko is too good for a roach..

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
PlinkoPachinko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby PlinkoPachinko » Fri May 18, 2012 4:44 pm

I found a roach wandering around my apartment.. Since we don't use any roach poison I decided to try to dispose of it.. well.. let Plinko try to eat it. He didn't want it in any way.

Image ImageImage

Oh well. :P
User avatar
KellyandLindsey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm
Country:
Location: Denver Colorado

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby KellyandLindsey » Fri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm

:lol: he really dose not want it
User avatar
anchietae
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
Country:
Location: Western Washington, USA
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby anchietae » Fri May 18, 2012 8:24 pm

I don't know that I would eat a New York roach either. :lol:
Just kidding. Pretty skink.
bella3
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
Country:
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby bella3 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Haha, i love these pictures! I like the look on his face in the first one.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Jeff » Sat May 19, 2012 4:45 pm

WHAT THE......!!!!!!!! You touched that thing with your hands?!!!!!!!!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Linnea » Sun May 20, 2012 3:35 am

you shouldnt pick up roaches and feed them to your skink even if you do not use pesticides.

reasons:

- they eat anything, that includes stuff you keep under the sink and leftovers from the toilet underground system. some chemicals are transferred from mother roach to baby roach.
- they walk around in many places which may contain things not so good for blueys. mold spores, toilet systems, dusty corners, etc. not necessarily in your house either since they travel fast.

remember that whoever owned your living place before you may have used methods to fend them off. such chemicals are still in the house for decades after use, in lower amounts. apartments in new york, and other large cities, should be especially bad environments to pick up roaches from.

so plinko didnt eat it for apparent reasons.

plinko looks very cute on the photos though xD
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby LarissaLurid » Tue May 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Linnea wrote:you shouldnt pick up roaches and feed them to your skink even if you do not use pesticides.

reasons:

- they eat anything, that includes stuff you keep under the sink and leftovers from the toilet underground system. some chemicals are transferred from mother roach to baby roach.
- they walk around in many places which may contain things not so good for blueys. mold spores, toilet systems, dusty corners, etc. not necessarily in your house either since they travel fast.

remember that whoever owned your living place before you may have used methods to fend them off. such chemicals are still in the house for decades after use, in lower amounts. apartments in new york, and other large cities, should be especially bad environments to pick up roaches from.

so plinko didnt eat it for apparent reasons.

plinko looks very cute on the photos though xD



^Couldn't have said it better myself. Although it'd be nice to just pick up bugs caught in the house or found outside, it can be quite dangerous and unhealthy for our pets.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
PlinkoPachinko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
Country:
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby PlinkoPachinko » Tue May 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah I'm glad he didn't eat it. It died like 12 hours later. I guess I kinda felt bad killing it/throwing it out the window so I thought I might try to give it to Plinko. Ah, well. Won't try it again.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby LarissaLurid » Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 am

PlinkoPachinko wrote:Yeah I'm glad he didn't eat it. It died like 12 hours later. I guess I kinda felt bad killing it/throwing it out the window so I thought I might try to give it to Plinko. Ah, well. Won't try it again.


O.O yea that's good. and yea id just put it outside next time. I <3 all creatures so if i ever find a bug i just release it outside instead of killing it.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Linnea » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

LarissaLurid wrote:
PlinkoPachinko wrote:Yeah I'm glad he didn't eat it. It died like 12 hours later. I guess I kinda felt bad killing it/throwing it out the window so I thought I might try to give it to Plinko. Ah, well. Won't try it again.


O.O yea that's good. and yea id just put it outside next time. I <3 all creatures so if i ever find a bug i just release it outside instead of killing it.


they just walk back into the warm house again though :D
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
skeetersmom
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 319
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
Country:
Location: Milwaukee WI USA

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby skeetersmom » Thu May 24, 2012 7:53 am

Maybe you should get one (roach) from your petshop and see what happens. Skeeter goes crazy when he sees me bringing a roach from across the room to feed him.

I totally agree with not feeding free roaming bugs to pets. The other night I saw my first June bug - and for a couple of seconds was wondering if I could feed it to Skeeter. Reason kicked in - who know where that bug has been :noknow:

I have gotten to the point that I raise my own D Roaches - Skeeter would eat me out of house and home if I had to buy enough to keep him happy!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby LarissaLurid » Thu May 24, 2012 10:35 am

skeetersmom wrote:Maybe you should get one (roach) from your petshop and see what happens. Skeeter goes crazy when he sees me bringing a roach from across the room to feed him.

I totally agree with not feeding free roaming bugs to pets. The other night I saw my first June bug - and for a couple of seconds was wondering if I could feed it to Skeeter. Reason kicked in - who know where that bug has been :noknow:

I have gotten to the point that I raise my own D Roaches - Skeeter would eat me out of house and home if I had to buy enough to keep him happy!



Yea I have a colony of Madagascar Hissing Roaches, but sell them as pets not feeders (unless one dies and i feed it to my scorpion). I tried feeding a dead one to my skink, but he wasn't too interested lol. Could have been a little too big even though it was a smaller one, or just too hard.

I'm starting a huge colony of my own Dubias for feeders though, it'll be good to have my own supply of really healthy feeders. :]

But yea I wish i was able to take a worm or something from outside to use, but that wouldn't be healthy.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Spindown » Fri May 25, 2012 3:47 pm

yeah, pretty much wild caught ANYTHING is a bad idea to feed your animals. You dont know where they've been, what they've eaten, what parasites they may have, or what chemicals they have been exposed to...all of my skinks but one will eat Dubias voraciously, the one that doesnt seems...afraid of them?? He wont eat anything alive...I even have to crush his snails for him LOL.

I wouldnt personally feed M. Hissers anyways as they are much tougher and spinier than Dubias are, and so harder to digest, and more potential for infections in the mouth from cuts from the spines.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
LarissaLurid
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
Country:
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby LarissaLurid » Sun May 27, 2012 2:27 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:yeah, pretty much wild caught ANYTHING is a bad idea to feed your animals. You dont know where they've been, what they've eaten, what parasites they may have, or what chemicals they have been exposed to...all of my skinks but one will eat Dubias voraciously, the one that doesnt seems...afraid of them?? He wont eat anything alive...I even have to crush his snails for him LOL.

I wouldnt personally feed M. Hissers anyways as they are much tougher and spinier than Dubias are, and so harder to digest, and more potential for infections in the mouth from cuts from the spines.



Who said about using Hissers as feeders? Well unless you meant the 2 ever that i've given to my scorpion that i mentioned? but she was fine and didn't eat the whole thing anyway.

EDIT: lol oh i just saw the mention of the dead baby one i tried to feed to my skink. yea i just wanted to see his interest since he hates crickets i was curious, i didnt figure he would and it was small anyway. i definitely wouldn't use hissers for the purpose of feeders, just pets. thats why im starting the colony of dubias.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Fatal_S » Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 pm

I've used hissers as feeders. The skinks were so-so on them. Dubia and Discoid were much preferred, and much quicker to breed. Hissers are amazing to own though :) I plan to re-start my colonies when I move, so more roaches for the skinks to eat.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Plinko is too good for a roach..

Postby Spindown » Tue May 29, 2012 4:09 pm

. I <3 all creatures so if i ever find a bug i just release it outside instead of killing it.


OH man, you wouldnt think that anymore if you lived in an area where there are HUGE cockroach infestations! You squish those MF's like its going out of style and hope they dont have about 1000 friends waiting under the couch, in your bed, and behind the refrigerator to take vengeance on you at a later date. I'm not sure if there are examples on youtube, but some people have such bad cases of roaches that they have to move!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests