Expensive!!!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Octopus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 31
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Expensive!!!
So after getting the prices for everything related to a BTS(and the lizard). I realized that they are way to expensive for me to get. So I was wondering is there any other lizard similar to a BTS or that is easy to tame, lovable, less expensive, not extremely high maintenance, and some thing that gets bigger then 10-12 in. fully grown but not bigger then 2.5 feet.
Maybe some other kind of skink?
Thanks all
Maybe some other kind of skink?
Thanks all
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Expensive!!!
Unfortunately, the cost of setting up most reptiles will be pretty much the same. Most of the things that don't cost the same will cost MORE. the main difference will be the cost of the animal itself. BTS are certainly not the cheapest lizard out there, but they are not terribly expensive either (unless you want a rare species). In my opinion, if you can't afford to keep a BTS, you probably can't afford ANY reptile. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is best to not acquire any animal unless you can afford to provide everything it needs, including. veterinarian care when necessary.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Octopus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 31
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: Expensive!!!
The thing that I can't afford is getting started (cage, animal, lighting/heat, etc. I added up about $300 to start(is that to much?)) but after I get everything to start I can afford it.(Food, substrate, bulbs etc. every month or so)
The lizard costs more then everything else does that I found.
The lizard costs more then everything else does that I found.
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Expensive!!!
Octopus wrote:The thing that I can't afford is getting started (cage, animal, lighting/heat, etc. I added up about $300 to start(is that to much?)) but after I get everything to start I can afford it.(Food, substrate, bulbs etc. every month or so)
The lizard costs more then everything else does that I found.
$300 is pretty good IMO. :X Cost me more than that, without the reptile.

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Expensive!!!
I do agree with Jeff. However, there are ways you can cut costs, yet still provide everything the skink needs.
Cage- Look for a nice used cage. Not sure where you live, but if you were close to me, I would sell you a 30-40gal breeder (only difference is height) for $40 with screen top. Look on online classified sites such as craiglist, kijiji, etc.
Lighting- 4 pack of light bulbs for heat at local Walmart, Lowes, hardware store, etc. Typically this will be less than $2.
Light Fixture- Also available at Walmart, Lowes, etc with dome and clamp for around $8
Water Bowl- Look in the cabinets. Ask your mom/dad/guardian if you can use a pie plate or similar dish. If not, get a flower pot saucer (thing that goes under flower pots) at local store. Maybe $5?
Hides- Cardboard boxes. Free
Bedding- Cypress mulch from local store (Walmart, Lowes, etc) $3 a bag (depending on where you live)
Food dish- Use paper plates. If you only have the small ones, cut the larger ones in 1/4.
Food- Can of dog food and produce from your fridge. $2?
Calcium and Vitamins- $12 for both
Obviously the cage is going to be the most expensive, but there is nothing wrong with using used caging.
I personally dont think you would find another lizard as personable and enjoyable that is less expensive and cheaper to feed. Bearded dragon would be one suggestion, but live insects can really add up and IMO arent as neat as a BTS.
Cage- Look for a nice used cage. Not sure where you live, but if you were close to me, I would sell you a 30-40gal breeder (only difference is height) for $40 with screen top. Look on online classified sites such as craiglist, kijiji, etc.
Lighting- 4 pack of light bulbs for heat at local Walmart, Lowes, hardware store, etc. Typically this will be less than $2.
Light Fixture- Also available at Walmart, Lowes, etc with dome and clamp for around $8
Water Bowl- Look in the cabinets. Ask your mom/dad/guardian if you can use a pie plate or similar dish. If not, get a flower pot saucer (thing that goes under flower pots) at local store. Maybe $5?
Hides- Cardboard boxes. Free
Bedding- Cypress mulch from local store (Walmart, Lowes, etc) $3 a bag (depending on where you live)
Food dish- Use paper plates. If you only have the small ones, cut the larger ones in 1/4.
Food- Can of dog food and produce from your fridge. $2?
Calcium and Vitamins- $12 for both
Obviously the cage is going to be the most expensive, but there is nothing wrong with using used caging.
I personally dont think you would find another lizard as personable and enjoyable that is less expensive and cheaper to feed. Bearded dragon would be one suggestion, but live insects can really add up and IMO arent as neat as a BTS.
Brad
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Expensive!!!
I agree with Brad 100%. I added it up In my head, and if I had nothing to start with, I could set up a single BTS for about $50. You aren't going to find another animal anywhere close to as awesome as a bluey that you could set up for cheaper.
My concern when people are tight on money is that the skink will have access to medical care if it becomes necessary. The truth is, a captive born BTS will rarely need to go to the vet, but if yours does, will you be able to afford to take it? Please make sure you can before bringing one of these awesome animals home.
My concern when people are tight on money is that the skink will have access to medical care if it becomes necessary. The truth is, a captive born BTS will rarely need to go to the vet, but if yours does, will you be able to afford to take it? Please make sure you can before bringing one of these awesome animals home.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: Expensive!!!
I agree with the above posts. Personally, I give my mammal and reptile vet (each different) some money every payday on account. Also, each one (with previous approval) has agreeded that I can have installment payments if necessary. Of course, this is just for "emergency" care - but I have never heard of a spay or neuter or declaying for a skink 
Many vets today are doing this - and personally it shows me they are in it for the love and care of the animals, not the money.
Many vets today are doing this - and personally it shows me they are in it for the love and care of the animals, not the money.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
-
Octopus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 31
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: Expensive!!!
@Jeff: I can afford taking a BTS to the vet when I get one.
@ReptileKing: I thought that you couldn't use Cypress mulch for BTS?
Bedding- Cypress mulch from local store (Walmart, Lowes, etc) $3 a bag (depending on where you live)
That would take my price down $10.
$50!!! just the setup was going to cost me about $120.(everything except the animal)
@ReptileKing: I thought that you couldn't use Cypress mulch for BTS?
Bedding- Cypress mulch from local store (Walmart, Lowes, etc) $3 a bag (depending on where you live)
That would take my price down $10.
Jeff wrote:I agree with Brad 100%. I added it up In my head, and if I had nothing to start with, I could set up a single BTS for about $50. You aren't going to find another animal anywhere close to as awesome as a bluey that you could set up for cheaper.
$50!!! just the setup was going to cost me about $120.(everything except the animal)
-
Joey1983
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
- Country:
- Location: New York City
Re: Expensive!!!
I have spent close to 1000$ lol gettin evrything for my BTS.. includig him. It is really what you want and how high end you want to make the tank/enclosures etc. They can be super basic or fancy. My suggestion is go to craigslist and buy a tank there... cheaper (make sure you sterilize it well). Then slowly buy your accessories. Then buy your BTS that way you do not break the bank. They are def not cheap animals especially if something goes wrong with thembut... once you have everything its pretty cheap going forward if they are taken care of poperly. Every animal (if raised right) rquires $ and care. Nothing is cheap. 
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Expensive!!!
The only bedding I use is cypress mulch for my skinks. I highly recommend it over everything I had tried.
I agree with Jeff in being able to set it up rather cheap. If need be make ur own cage with scrap wood around the house. Or use a plastic tote.
If need be buy supplies a little at a time so it does hurt the bank account as much and once you get everything then look at getting your skink. Birthing season has just started. So u will have several months to get a skink
I agree with Jeff in being able to set it up rather cheap. If need be make ur own cage with scrap wood around the house. Or use a plastic tote.
If need be buy supplies a little at a time so it does hurt the bank account as much and once you get everything then look at getting your skink. Birthing season has just started. So u will have several months to get a skink
Last edited by Bird_Brain on Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Expensive!!!
Agreed with Jeff:
Plastic tote or used cage, basking bulb or UTH and you are pretty much set. Doing the math real quick for my two(stuff with a dash is what I am actually using atm)
-Sweaterbox totes(approx 3 x 1.5-larger can be had for about the same) $30 for both. Chances are someone you know has some of these as well.
or
40 breeder off of craigslist $30
-Ultratherm heat pad $25(could have actually used a smaller model but this also serves another animal or two)
-Aspen shavings($5)
-Rheostaty ($15 or so..or a thermostat can be had for bout 2x this)
Basking bulb/fixture $20
-Water bowls $10
That comes out to about $85-$125 to set up two skinks.
Plastic tote or used cage, basking bulb or UTH and you are pretty much set. Doing the math real quick for my two(stuff with a dash is what I am actually using atm)
-Sweaterbox totes(approx 3 x 1.5-larger can be had for about the same) $30 for both. Chances are someone you know has some of these as well.
or
40 breeder off of craigslist $30
-Ultratherm heat pad $25(could have actually used a smaller model but this also serves another animal or two)
-Aspen shavings($5)
-Rheostaty ($15 or so..or a thermostat can be had for bout 2x this)
Basking bulb/fixture $20
-Water bowls $10
That comes out to about $85-$125 to set up two skinks.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Expensive!!!
In 2 minutes I just found two appropriate aquariums on Craigslist for $20 and $25. You can get a clamp lamp at Lowe's for $6, and an incandescent bulb for less than $1. I have used "lamp dimmers" many times that are $10 at Home Depot. This isn't even absolutely necessary, but it makes it much easier to get your temperatures right. A years worth of aspen or cypress mulch (which is expensive where I live) will cost $5-$10.
You have lots of options, but that is everything you probably have to spend money on. You can make hides out of boxes, and add a flat rock or scrap of tile for a basking spot for free. It is very easy to spend MUCH more if you want to, but it is not necessary to provide your skink everything it needs.
You have lots of options, but that is everything you probably have to spend money on. You can make hides out of boxes, and add a flat rock or scrap of tile for a basking spot for free. It is very easy to spend MUCH more if you want to, but it is not necessary to provide your skink everything it needs.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Octopus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 31
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: Expensive!!!
Jeff wrote:In 2 minutes I just found two appropriate aquariums on Craigslist for $20 and $25. You can get a clamp lamp at Lowe's for $6, and an incandescent bulb for less than $1. I have used "lamp dimmers" many times that are $10 at Home Depot. This isn't even absolutely necessary, but it makes it much easier to get your temperatures right. A years worth of aspen or cypress mulch (which is expensive where I live) will cost $5-$10.
I have been looking for 2 weeks and I can't find a tank that is cheap and big enough on craigslist. I think I am going to make my own tank(I'm good at stuff like that).
Should I use a CHE or UTH?(I was going to use a CHE and two UV lights for heat and light)
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: Expensive!!!
UV has not been found to be necessary, thus I chose to opt out on that. If you are on a budget that'd be the first thing I'd cut out. Taking your blueys outside somewhat frequently is a good way to get them UV exposure if you so desire.(I enjoy it, they seem to behave a bit differently outdoors, but whether it actually is beneficial is debatable).
It is very difficult to give specific heating suggestions without knowledge of your cage material, ambient temperatures, etc. etc.
For me, UTH work well. I have no experience with CHE's. Those do eat up a bunch of electricity and run extremely hot.
It is very difficult to give specific heating suggestions without knowledge of your cage material, ambient temperatures, etc. etc.
For me, UTH work well. I have no experience with CHE's. Those do eat up a bunch of electricity and run extremely hot.
-
Octopus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 31
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: Expensive!!!
critterguy wrote:UV has not been found to be necessary, thus I chose to opt out on that. If you are on a budget that'd be the first thing I'd cut out. Taking your blueys outside somewhat frequently is a good way to get them UV exposure if you so desire.(I enjoy it, they seem to behave a bit differently outdoors, but whether it actually is beneficial is debatable).
It is very difficult to give specific heating suggestions without knowledge of your cage material, ambient temperatures, etc. etc.
For me, UTH work well. I have no experience with CHE's. Those do eat up a bunch of electricity and run extremely hot.
The reason that I was going to use a CHE is because BTS's are baskers and getting a heat source from above would be more natural to them I think.
I thought that UV lights were necessary for their health.
The cage material is going to to be wood back, bottom ,and sides and Plexiglas front and a screen top. I do not know the ambient temperature in the room.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Expensive!!!
Octopus wrote:critterguy wrote:UV has not been found to be necessary, thus I chose to opt out on that. If you are on a budget that'd be the first thing I'd cut out. Taking your blueys outside somewhat frequently is a good way to get them UV exposure if you so desire.(I enjoy it, they seem to behave a bit differently outdoors, but whether it actually is beneficial is debatable).
It is very difficult to give specific heating suggestions without knowledge of your cage material, ambient temperatures, etc. etc.
For me, UTH work well. I have no experience with CHE's. Those do eat up a bunch of electricity and run extremely hot.
The reason that I was going to use a CHE is because BTS's are baskers and getting a heat source from above would be more natural to them I think.
I thought that UV lights were necessary for their health.
The cage material is going to to be wood back, bottom ,and sides and Plexiglas front and a screen top. I do not know the ambient temperature in the room.
As mentioned, standard light incandescent light bulbs work great for heat. If you want to spend a little extra, then buy a halogen flood/spot bulb. They will produce a brighter, hotter basking area with less wattage.
If you are trying to get a BTS on a budget (which like Jeff mentioned, not the best thing to do if some sort of health issue comes up, your kinda screwed) then IMO, I would not even be considering a CHE. In my experience, they dont project the heat that much and get too hot for my comfort.
Brad
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Expensive!!!
totally agree with brad,che are more for back ground heating,plus isnt it much more natural for a dirunal basker to have a bright basking spot,it will give u heat and light,plus alot cheaper the che,and alot cheaper to run,u wont need as high a wattage to creat the hot spot needed for basking
dont buy reptile light bulbs,all your doing is paying 5 times as much for the same light as u can get from a hardware shop,so paying for a pic of a lizardon the box,main thing is create the thermal gradient you need,if ucan get the hot spot hot enough,doesnt matter if cool end is a smidgen to low,i find it a bonus,as it just gives a bigger thermal gradient
they are prettycheap to set up,biggest expense willbe aquiring your bluetongue,and even that can be cheap,considering the years of pleasure they bring you
my advice is dont over complicate things,doesnt have to be pretty,just has to supply the options they need to thrive
dont buy reptile light bulbs,all your doing is paying 5 times as much for the same light as u can get from a hardware shop,so paying for a pic of a lizardon the box,main thing is create the thermal gradient you need,if ucan get the hot spot hot enough,doesnt matter if cool end is a smidgen to low,i find it a bonus,as it just gives a bigger thermal gradient
they are prettycheap to set up,biggest expense willbe aquiring your bluetongue,and even that can be cheap,considering the years of pleasure they bring you
my advice is dont over complicate things,doesnt have to be pretty,just has to supply the options they need to thrive
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Expensive!!!
I have noticed that when my skink goes into his hide, he burrows deep into the substrate such that he is sleeping on glass with his aspen substrate as a 'blanket.'
I am currently using a CHE but have been wondering about UTH (especially now after reading from this thread)... But is that safe? I am afraid of risking burning his belly knowing he sleeps directly on the glass floor.
I am currently using a CHE but have been wondering about UTH (especially now after reading from this thread)... But is that safe? I am afraid of risking burning his belly knowing he sleeps directly on the glass floor.

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Expensive!!!
id just check the temp at the glass surface,id say he would be ok,but if the cage is cold and uth is the only hotspot,he could rest on it as his only means ofheatcausingburns ifits hot,but if substrate is deep he would possably only dig deep enough to be warm
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: Expensive!!!
Plastic lizards are cheap.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 185 guests
