Page 1 of 1

Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am
by Octopus
Hey does anyone know a good place to get terrariums 48"x18"x18" or similar?
Or if somebody could tell me an estimate the price to make a tank that size.

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 pm
by skeetersmom
I know for a fact that PetWorld carries that size - for almost $300.00!! I purchased all of my tanks from my local Craig's list.
I know that Craig's list isn't for everyone - but I have had no problems.

I have one size you are looking for - paid $90. Another of my larger tanks 6' long 18" wide for $100.

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Glasscages.com

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm
by Octopus
I'm on a budget right now so $90 is still to much but I have being researching and I think that I'm just going to make a tank(I think that I could do it for around $30-$35).

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:04 pm
by xxmonitorlizardxx
Yeah. No tank that size is for sale under $100 sorry...

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm
by Richard.C
could look for a 2nd hand fish tank of that size,u can pick them up for a song,they are heavy though,otherwise could always make a wood enclosure with a glass front,i find they keep the heat in alot better

Re: Tanks

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm
by critterguy
YEah- you could make one, or look on craigslist. I got a tank pretty much that size(60 gal breeder) for $30 or so on CL. Lots of people need to get rid of big cages and they will go cheap.

You can also buy a sweaterbox of that size for about $20...it would do just fine.

Re: Tanks

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:38 am
by Octopus
Richard.C wrote: could always make a wood enclosure with a glass front,i find they keep the heat in alot better

That's what I was planning to do.

Re: Tanks

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 am
by Spindown
Yeah. No tank that size is for sale under $100 sorry...


Thats not true if you go on Craigslist. I've seen cages that size for free! Not often but it happens.
Just make sure if you get a used cage you clean the heck out of it!!! The first time I got a used cage, I got mites! X_X

HOwever, now i have veterinary grade cleaning supplies, so I no longer worry about things like that. PAM, F-10, Lysol wipes and bleach. Good to go! :)

Re: Tanks

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 am
by skeetersmom
Vinegar is a great cleaner also. I have purchased many tanks from CL - no mites or problems. Not sure if it was the vinegar, or a blessing.

Just like the vinegar because it dosen't have the chemicals in it that are harmful (still rinse the vinegar though)

Re: Tanks

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:24 am
by Spindown
Vinegar is great for cleaning amongst your own collection who have been found to have no parasites or diseases, but it is not strong enough to kill crypto or many other parasites/diseases. Neither is the other commonly used cleaner Chlorahexidine. I'd talk to a vet and see what cleaners they recommend for unknowns. Unfortunately, you have to be very careful with used tanks.

I only use F-10 because its safe for reptiles and even birds. Its a form of Quaternary ammonia. They even use it as a nebulizer (sp?) for RI in many species.

Re: Tanks

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 am
by Nae
You can quite often get broken tanks for free or at least very cheap- Just patch them up with a bit of silicone (Either aquarium grade or %100, not bathroom silicone or something), give them a thorough clean, and they are perfectly fine for blueys :D

If you want to make your own tank, head to a Goodwill/2nd hand/ garage sale and pick up a item of furniture like a cupboard, then pop some glass, something to hold the substrate in and ventilation into it. Obviously how to go about doing that would vary depending on the individual furniture piece ;) - Ive seen some pretty snazzy setups done that way!