How do you like your eggs?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Little.hook
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 pm
- Country:
How do you like your eggs?
I've seen lots of people feed their BTS eggs different ways. I've always scrambled so I can mix in some collard greens (otherwise Hook will just pick them out.) And my baby can clean a plate in under a minute. I've seen people do hard-boiled and even raw. I'm sort of wary about feeding raw eggs, I mean, it's probably okay, but is there any risk involved?
~Forever is composed of nows~ - Emily Dickonson
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: How do you like your eggs?
My Merauke loves eggs, made any way. I think that hard boiled seems healthiest though so you aren't filling them with butter from scrambling/frying. I'd say raw eggs are okay occasionally, but personally I'd rather feed hard boiled.
Also
"The other B complex vitamins are synthesized by the bacteria and protozoa within the intestinal tract of normal reptiles. Raw egg whites contain avidin, which prevents biotin from being processed within the animal. A deficiency may occur in feeding egg-eating reptiles a diet of exclusively whole raw eggs. Egg-eating reptiles in nature rarely acquire a biotin deficiency because most eggs eaten are fertile and embryonic tissue contains biotin. Occasionally, especially following any antimicrobial therapy, the normal flora will die off, allowing a deficiency to occur. By using vitamin B complex supplementation as well as intestinal culture inoculation, the situation is easily correctable"
The above comes from Animal Veterinary Hospital of Orlando
Written by Dr. Bruce Bogoslavsky
Also
"The other B complex vitamins are synthesized by the bacteria and protozoa within the intestinal tract of normal reptiles. Raw egg whites contain avidin, which prevents biotin from being processed within the animal. A deficiency may occur in feeding egg-eating reptiles a diet of exclusively whole raw eggs. Egg-eating reptiles in nature rarely acquire a biotin deficiency because most eggs eaten are fertile and embryonic tissue contains biotin. Occasionally, especially following any antimicrobial therapy, the normal flora will die off, allowing a deficiency to occur. By using vitamin B complex supplementation as well as intestinal culture inoculation, the situation is easily correctable"
The above comes from Animal Veterinary Hospital of Orlando
Written by Dr. Bruce Bogoslavsky
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: How do you like your eggs?
There is always a possible risk of contamination from samonella, but its very rare. I've eaten raw eggs my whole life in batters, never had an issue. had tons of friends who did it too (our moms were old school and cooked from scratch) and only knew one person who ever got it, and it wasnt serious.
Also, if they eat eggs in the wild, its sure isnt going to be cooked
I have only done it cooked because i dont want the mess, and only once because their poo was horrendous afterwards.
Also, if they eat eggs in the wild, its sure isnt going to be cooked
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: How do you like your eggs?
raw egg is very messy,especially when they decide to walk through it,i dont use egg,would class blueys as an egg eating species either,they may happen apon some in the wild,but it wouldnt be overly common i wouldnt imagine
also remember unfertile eggs are never as good for them as fetile eggs,if you wanted to include egg in the diet,dont make it a staple,but instead use it as a treat and part of a varied diet,ive found raw egg handy with problem feeders,they seem to love lapping it up,so can be good to add to other food as well to get them interested
also remember unfertile eggs are never as good for them as fetile eggs,if you wanted to include egg in the diet,dont make it a staple,but instead use it as a treat and part of a varied diet,ive found raw egg handy with problem feeders,they seem to love lapping it up,so can be good to add to other food as well to get them interested
-
neurotic88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: How do you like your eggs?
I agree with above posts, it can be messy.
At the zoo, when we feed them egg, it's ways raw, we basically coat the veggies in raw egg and they absolutely love it.
It's a great way to get them to eat their greens.
At the zoo, when we feed them egg, it's ways raw, we basically coat the veggies in raw egg and they absolutely love it.
It's a great way to get them to eat their greens.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: How do you like your eggs?
At the zoo, when we feed them egg, it's ways raw, we basically coat the veggies in raw egg and they absolutely love it.
It's a great way to get them to eat their greens.
Now THAT is an awesome idea!!!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Little.hook
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 15
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:15 pm
- Country:
Re: How do you like your eggs?
We were out of the dog food I usually use so I've been scrambling up some eggs without butter or oil or anything until I can get to the store to add a little protein to his meals. Covering the collard greens in egg is a great idea. It seems like no matter how small I chop them up he still manages to eat around them and just go after the good stuff, that little booger. I'm gonna have to start blending his meals better.
~Forever is composed of nows~ - Emily Dickonson
-
neurotic88
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: How do you like your eggs?
Little.hook wrote:We were out of the dog food I usually use so I've been scrambling up some eggs without butter or oil or anything until I can get to the store to add a little protein to his meals. Covering the collard greens in egg is a great idea. It seems like no matter how small I chop them up he still manages to eat around them and just go after the good stuff, that little booger. I'm gonna have to start blending his meals better.
If he wont eat his greens, you CAN blend it.
I mean, why not have it like a puree? I don't need to myself, but I've seen lots of people have their BTS food almost like baby food it's been put in the blender so long.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 412 guests
