Page 1 of 1

Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:32 am
by phaemas
So I know that huffing is a warning sign but can you Id by huffing sounds? Steve goes ''hmp hmp hmp hffffffffff"all fast like. While marcies is diffrent she goes "hmp hfffffffff" slowly. Is this somthing that means a diffrence? I read somewear that Tanimbars have a distinct huff. Is this true? Is it like that for all speices?

Also my family is moving to a new house. Anything I can/should do when we do move? havn't found a house yet but we're looking at one down our street so not far. Any moving tips?

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 am
by Nae
I highly doubt it ;)

From my own observations, huffing varies in speed depending on how desperate the bluey is to get the message across, so to speak~ A less friendly bluey would huff faster then one that is calm but just wants to be left alone, for example.

As for moving, since its only down the street dont stress too much. I personally would first off not feed for a day or so before hand. Then get them both their own plastic container or box that can be securely closed, line it with something like some paper towels and perhaps something to hide in if the containers see through, and just leave them in that. Once you move, set up their tanks before your own room, even its its just the basics like their heating. Im sure there are heaps of moving threads with better info if you do a search, but again youre only going down the road~

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:06 pm
by Richard.C
if your moving close by,then its just like having them out of the cage,or like when u get a new one,especially if its shipped to you,so just put them in something comfy,for the trip and the time it takes for you to reset up there cages,shouldnt be any stress on them,if the other ones still sick obviously have them in seperate containers

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:30 pm
by Scooter_in_Kindergarten
When I move Scooter from school to home for a long break, (I live 45 min from school) I put him/her in a big Rubbermaid container almost the size of his/her tank. Scooter can't climb out and it is not see-through, so it is very little stress. For the 45 min drive he/she has no heat but the temp is comfortable in my car so he/she does fine. I set up the heat lamp, basking rock, hide, and water as soon as we get home though. :thumbs:
So you would probably need two of those containers, or one that you use to transport them one at a time - granted, if your skink is sick, it would be safer to use two separate ones.
And a bonus - you can always re use the containers for storage or for moving once the skinks are transported safely :ohyes:

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 pm
by Richard.C
also the differences in the huffing your witnessing could be due to marcie having respitory infection to,has she made much improvement

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:05 pm
by phaemas
Marcies always huffed like that since I first got her. She's made a huge improvment

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:22 pm
by Richard.C
good to hear

they are all individuals,some huff harder than others,faster,slower,louder,quieter to,and some dont huff at all

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 pm
by phaemas
Ya, that could be it as well.

I have a hunch though that Steve isn't of a docile origin. He's quiet aggressive once you get to know him. He loves his cat/dog food, won't touch his veggies unless they don't taste of veggies. (i.e covered in cat food). He's obsessed with worms of all kinds as long as they wiggle. He doesn't like to be disturbed. He hates having his tail touched as well as his head and legs and back while he's in the cage. He's quiet cage aggressive to the point he'll lunge at you but once you're holding him he's fine. That's who Steve is. Thats what he is.

Don't tell Marcie but he's my favorite character wise. Marcie's always going to hold a special place in my heart though as my first bluey. I can't pass the spot where I picked her up without remembering the two men I got her from. It was a canad inns hotel parking lot on july 27 a day before my brothers birthday. My brother was terrified of her at first. It's these moments you never forget. These first minutes... The first day. Never the day after or before.

Re: Huffing+Moving

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 am
by Spindown
rubbermaid containers with a handful of substrate, sometimes i use cardboard boxes for vet trips (because they are disposable) with towels lining, anything where the skink isnt going to be bumped and thumped and slammed into the walls during the drive. If its stable and they can breathe and not escape, it should be fine. For long trips i'd say find a way to utilize a heat source, maybe with the handwarmer things made for reptiles, or if its super hot, cold packs. For short trips it shouldnt be an issue unless the weather is EXTREME. Just my .02.