Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Joey1983
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
- Country:
- Location: New York City
Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Can you guys please let me know what your opinions are? Also is it possible for the reptile to get mites from substrate purchased from pet stores? The kind from zoo med or exo terra?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
anythings possable,always good to treat substrate before using it,some folk even go as far as baking it to kill any bugs ect it may harvest
-
Joey1983
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
- Country:
- Location: New York City
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Good idea!
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
It is possible to carry some mites home from a pet store on a bag of substrate, but it is probably not very likely. Reptile mites need to live with ann actual reptile. They can not survive for long in a bag of substrate with out a reptile host. They would leave the bag in search of an animal to live on. They could however lay eggs in the bag of substrate which could take as long as 30 days to hatch, so that could occur after you get home and put the substrate in your enclosure. This would probably be a long-shot though, because there would be no reason for the mites to be in the "reptile-less" substrate in the first place. They would most likely have to fall out of a cage onto the bag that was stocked under the cage at the right point in their life cycle to lay eggs. Lots of stuff would have to be timed just right.
Whenever I get substrate, I always buy it 45 days or more before I am going to use it, and store it in a place away from any reptiles. This alone is probably enough time for any mites/eggs that could be in it to die. Even so, I then treat it with the equivilent of Provent-A-Mite spray and let it sit to dry for 4-5 days before putting it in the enclosure. Since I have been doing this I have not had a single case of mites.
My favorite substrate for meraukes, or any gigas is cypress mulch. That is just personal preference. I like it because it is pretty easy to keep it from drying out with occassional misting, and it looks good. They can burrow in it easily too.
Whenever I get substrate, I always buy it 45 days or more before I am going to use it, and store it in a place away from any reptiles. This alone is probably enough time for any mites/eggs that could be in it to die. Even so, I then treat it with the equivilent of Provent-A-Mite spray and let it sit to dry for 4-5 days before putting it in the enclosure. Since I have been doing this I have not had a single case of mites.
My favorite substrate for meraukes, or any gigas is cypress mulch. That is just personal preference. I like it because it is pretty easy to keep it from drying out with occassional misting, and it looks good. They can burrow in it easily too.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Joey1983
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
- Country:
- Location: New York City
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
What is the equivalent to pro venta mite spray?
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Provent-A-Mite is a great product that works extremely well, however it is VERY expensive. I think the last small can I bought was $30. There are products on the market designed for treating your bedding if you have head lice. There are different kinds, but I found that the store brand at CVS pharmacy has the exact same percentage of the exact same active ingredient as Provent-A-Mite. The inert ingredients are even the same. This product is in effect the EXACT same thing as Provent-A-Mite, and it costs about 70%-75% less.
One thing to know though, the CVS product does NOT have instructions for using it on your skink or enclosure. This is a very toxic product that must be used properly. If it is, I consider it very safe. If anyone decides to use it though, PLEASE make sure you know how to use it first!
One thing to know though, the CVS product does NOT have instructions for using it on your skink or enclosure. This is a very toxic product that must be used properly. If it is, I consider it very safe. If anyone decides to use it though, PLEASE make sure you know how to use it first!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Well you've great advice about treating mitesas a free gift from your pet supplies store, i would like to add that dealing with a good store (have a REALLY good look round at everything) should go a long ways to avoiding such situations, anyway back on to substrates, I have an IJ and although not Merauke he's an indoish decendant, I use Beech chips in the walking/basking area and shreded Aspen up the sleeping/cool end. if your worried about humidity you can supply a pool to lounge in.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
Best substrate for a Merauke in my opinion is cypress mulch. 
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
Re: Which is the best substarte for Merauke?
It is a good substrate for them and seems readily available in the States.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 292 guests
