Earlier this evening I was moving my freshly-shed BTS, Wyatt, from the bathroom tub back to his cage. As I was walking down the hall, I put him on my shoulder (he likes my hair
Dropping Your BTS
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Dropping Your BTS
Hey all!
Earlier this evening I was moving my freshly-shed BTS, Wyatt, from the bathroom tub back to his cage. As I was walking down the hall, I put him on my shoulder (he likes my hair
) and suddenly I felt him slip off. I instinctively turned around to witness him landing on his belly and bouncing off the carpet twice D: He was okay, so I can't help but laugh at the image of it in my head. But I was wondering, should I be checking him for certain things? And have any of you dropped your Bluey before? I'd love to know I'm not alone.
Earlier this evening I was moving my freshly-shed BTS, Wyatt, from the bathroom tub back to his cage. As I was walking down the hall, I put him on my shoulder (he likes my hair
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Dropping Your BTS
This is exactly why skinks should never be allowed to sit on shoulders. Too many people have been letting this happen, and there's a huge risk of falling. They are not height-smart animals, regardless of whether they've previously been up there.
The last time this happened on the forum the skink developed a bump in the back after a short time. The bone was broken, vet time was needed. I can't recall if that skink recovered.
Watch for weird-looking bones and changes in behaviour or appetite. They're hardy animals, so hopefully he's only bruised and not badly damaged.
The last time this happened on the forum the skink developed a bump in the back after a short time. The bone was broken, vet time was needed. I can't recall if that skink recovered.
Watch for weird-looking bones and changes in behaviour or appetite. They're hardy animals, so hopefully he's only bruised and not badly damaged.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Dropping Your BTS
probably best to hold in the hand when walking around,they arent the most agile at holding on,if its acting normal im sure its fine,there pretty tough
ive acidently flung a few across the ouside cage,ususlly when they have thought my fingers were food,when i dig for water dragon eggs,sometimes they bite when i dont know they are there,and reflex reaction is to pull hand away,lol,they generally head straight back to investigate said fingers for another crack ,lol
main thing is,they can get injured,especially if they land in awkward positions,so better to be safe then sorry when handling them
ive acidently flung a few across the ouside cage,ususlly when they have thought my fingers were food,when i dig for water dragon eggs,sometimes they bite when i dont know they are there,and reflex reaction is to pull hand away,lol,they generally head straight back to investigate said fingers for another crack ,lol
main thing is,they can get injured,especially if they land in awkward positions,so better to be safe then sorry when handling them
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Dropping Your BTS
[quote="Fatal_S"]This is exactly why skinks should never be allowed to sit on shoulders. Too many people have been letting this happen, and there's a huge risk of falling. They are not height-smart animals, regardless of whether they've previously been up there.
The last time this happened on the forum the skink developed a bump in the back after a short time. The bone was broken, vet time was needed. I can't recall if that skink recovered.
Watch for weird-looking bones and changes in behaviour or appetite. They're hardy animals, so hopefully he's only bruised and not badly damaged.[/quote]
Thanks for letting me know what to do! And from now on, I will make sure I'm sitting down on a couch or chair with a thick back he can climb on if he suddenly decides to move. How can you tell if they are bruised?
The last time this happened on the forum the skink developed a bump in the back after a short time. The bone was broken, vet time was needed. I can't recall if that skink recovered.
Watch for weird-looking bones and changes in behaviour or appetite. They're hardy animals, so hopefully he's only bruised and not badly damaged.[/quote]
Thanks for letting me know what to do! And from now on, I will make sure I'm sitting down on a couch or chair with a thick back he can climb on if he suddenly decides to move. How can you tell if they are bruised?
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Dropping Your BTS
[quote="Richard.C"]probably best to hold in the hand when walking around,they arent the most agile at holding on,if its acting normal im sure its fine,there pretty tough
ive acidently flung a few across the ouside cage,ususlly when they have thought my fingers were food,when i dig for water dragon eggs,sometimes they bite when i dont know they are there,and reflex reaction is to pull hand away,lol,they generally head straight back to investigate said fingers for another crack ,lol
main thing is,they can get injured,especially if they land in awkward positions,so better to be safe then sorry when handling them[/quote]
Yeah, he didn't have a frightened or worried look in his eye after a few minutes like he was hurt, so I just hope he remains okay. I don't want to have to have my mom drive us up to Indianapolis to get him help.
ive acidently flung a few across the ouside cage,ususlly when they have thought my fingers were food,when i dig for water dragon eggs,sometimes they bite when i dont know they are there,and reflex reaction is to pull hand away,lol,they generally head straight back to investigate said fingers for another crack ,lol
main thing is,they can get injured,especially if they land in awkward positions,so better to be safe then sorry when handling them[/quote]
Yeah, he didn't have a frightened or worried look in his eye after a few minutes like he was hurt, so I just hope he remains okay. I don't want to have to have my mom drive us up to Indianapolis to get him help.
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Dropping Your BTS
On a pale skink you could maybe see the bruising but otherwise I'd look more for swelling, sensitivity, or weird bumps/waves. Unlike when children fall we don't get noises to let us know how much damage may have been done. The skink I recall falling didn't show the swelling/bump right away, it took a few hours. Keep an eye out for anything strange for the next week, and if nothing goes wrong count yourself lucky. I'm hoping he's all well.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Dropping Your BTS
yeah what fatal said,just watch it over the next week,,if its acting normal,looks normal ,behaves like normal,im sure its ok,but always good to watch them just to be safe
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Dropping Your BTS
Thank you so much! I would have no idea what to do if it weren't for your advice! I'll post if anything seems unusual about him in the next week or so.
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
-
Cathy20
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southwest Ohio, USA
Re: Dropping Your BTS
I looked for bumps, odd coloration indicating bruising, swelling, and sensitivity periodically today and found NOTHING wrong with him! If anything, he's more active throughout the day! Thanks again for telling me what to look for!
Blessings,
Cathy20
Blessings,
Cathy20
Love your life! God only knows how long it will last! 
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Dropping Your BTS
glad to hear 
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Dropping Your BTS
Hopefully your baby is okay. I'd never put a skink on my shoulders, especially with how they have short legs that can't really support themselves well at all. Much to dangerous the high chances of them falling and being seriously injured. Next time just try carrying him in your arm almost like cradling a baby, having him sit on it against your body so you can be sure he is safe and see him at all times. They aren't meant to be up so high, especially something that's moving.
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests
