Male or female..? (Pics on page 2)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Male or female..? (Pics on page 2)
Hi!
I have mailed with somebody from the Netherlands who thinks he has an female (Silver Tanimbar) skink for me.
I haven't buy her yet, but I maybe go to buy her soon. He has send me some pictures of her.
But can somebody tell me if sche really is a female? (I know.. it's impossible to tell it for 100%..)
I don't want to buy another male..
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
I have mailed with somebody from the Netherlands who thinks he has an female (Silver Tanimbar) skink for me.
I haven't buy her yet, but I maybe go to buy her soon. He has send me some pictures of her.
But can somebody tell me if sche really is a female? (I know.. it's impossible to tell it for 100%..)
I don't want to buy another male..
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Last edited by riandro-chan on Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Male of female..?
Not really the best pics... I say male.
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male of female..?
I know.. I haven't made them by myself =S
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male of female..?
Based off my 'pairs' that one looks kindof male, maybe? Pretty Tanny though.
Last edited by Fatal_S on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male of female..?
im not sure,but could be a female,looks solid in body,did u ask them why they think its a female,if not to pricey could be worth the gamble,worst case u add silver tannie to the collection (:
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male of female..?
the owner saids: he bred thisone in 2004. He attempted to get her to breed a couple of times but she is not interested in the male. He thinks she is a female because her brother has a very large head compared to hers. That's what he told me..
He asks 125 euro for her, the price isn't the problem, but I don't want yet another male because I really want to breed..
He asks 125 euro for her, the price isn't the problem, but I don't want yet another male because I really want to breed..
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male of female..?
by female not interested in the male do u mean it had a go at the male that tried breeding it,as usually its the male that shows interest in breeding or not,females if they dont tell them off generally cop it
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male of female..?
looking at your pics again,i think there is a good chance that is indeed a female,can be tricky to tell in pics sometimes,if he says its brother has a solider head that could be a sign,but also could just be a boofier headed male,if the seller lives near by is there any chance of going for a look,might be better seeing them in person and comparing with there other one/ones
if they breed them theres a good chance they are correct and it is female
if they breed them theres a good chance they are correct and it is female
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male of female..?
Jeah, there is another problem.. he live 2,5 / 3,5 hours driving from me. One weekdays it's difficult for me to get to him, because i have to work.. so it's onlypossible for me in weekends.
I was thinking to take one or two of my maleswith me when I make an appointment with him.
I was thinking to take one or two of my maleswith me when I make an appointment with him.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male of female..?
good idea i guess,especially when travelling that far,fingers crossed it is a female,if hes bred them and this ones one of the offspring,good chance he knows what hes talking bout,so worth it to find out
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male of female..?
I haven't gotten an answer with regards to her reactions to the male when it comes to breeding. I asked him whether the female tried biting the male or if she tried wagging her tail at the male.
I think he does know what he is talking about, considering he did publish an article about BTS Chimaerea in 'Lacerta' (dutch herpetology magazine). I haven't read the article yet, but a friend of mine found the article and I intend to read it soon.
I think he does know what he is talking about, considering he did publish an article about BTS Chimaerea in 'Lacerta' (dutch herpetology magazine). I haven't read the article yet, but a friend of mine found the article and I intend to read it soon.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male of female..?
sounds very promising then
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male or female..?
Good... Yesterday I bought her. She is not world's most beautifull skink, but she is very nice to people.
What do you think? male of female?
both male skinks don't really attack her but they aren't showing a lot of interest in her.
they sometimes nip at each other, but they haven't fought with each other (like the two males), so I guess that's a good thing...



If you need more detailed pictures, please let me know.
What do you think? male of female?
both male skinks don't really attack her but they aren't showing a lot of interest in her.
they sometimes nip at each other, but they haven't fought with each other (like the two males), so I guess that's a good thing...



If you need more detailed pictures, please let me know.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Male or female..?
She's very pretty. I'll go with female now. I love Tanny eyes <3
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Male or female..?
wow shes gorgeous! Is that an overbite? Doesnt detract from her at all, i just cant tell if its the angle. super cute either way.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male or female..?
Jeah, she has an small overbite. Her other owner has tried to breed with her (but never had baby's) and during mating the male Has broken her jaw. That's the story he told me.
I really hope she is a female... But my boys seem to be a bit afraid of her, but doesn't bite her either =S
And also no mating behavior... Is it so hard to breed with those species?
I really hope she is a female... But my boys seem to be a bit afraid of her, but doesn't bite her either =S
And also no mating behavior... Is it so hard to breed with those species?
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Male or female..?
overbites like that can also indicate mbd issues though.
and yes, you need to keep an eye on any mating bts if kept in small spaces where they cannot escape and such, it depends a lot on the bts itself (sometimes on the species) but some can be really nasty. but really, dont keep these together for too long without extra extra care
she is very pretty in any case, so light *__*
and yes, you need to keep an eye on any mating bts if kept in small spaces where they cannot escape and such, it depends a lot on the bts itself (sometimes on the species) but some can be really nasty. but really, dont keep these together for too long without extra extra care
she is very pretty in any case, so light *__*
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Male or female..?
Pictures of your other skinks?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Male or female..?
theres old threads with pics of the others ml
looks like a very nice tanny,they look cool i reckon,if not cycled they wont just breed,plus even if cycled,they need to coincide to get the timing right for both sexes
outside of that females can be the aggressors towards males and vice versa,some even just get along,they are all individuals,so its hard to tell by behaviours what u have ect
she looks very female to me,and that could also be the result of injury from a male,they can get quite rough and ive seen alot worse injury wise
keep her weight on,when it cools down,cycle them all together and on spring warming,then see what happens,they shouldnt be hard to breed if cycled correctly and everything coincides,its just getting it dialled in with timing and correct cycling of them all
looks like a very nice tanny,they look cool i reckon,if not cycled they wont just breed,plus even if cycled,they need to coincide to get the timing right for both sexes
outside of that females can be the aggressors towards males and vice versa,some even just get along,they are all individuals,so its hard to tell by behaviours what u have ect
she looks very female to me,and that could also be the result of injury from a male,they can get quite rough and ive seen alot worse injury wise
keep her weight on,when it cools down,cycle them all together and on spring warming,then see what happens,they shouldnt be hard to breed if cycled correctly and everything coincides,its just getting it dialled in with timing and correct cycling of them all
- riandro-chan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 am
- Country:
- Location: Eygelshoven (NL)
Re: Male or female..?
@RichardC
What do you mean by "ml" ?
What do you mean by "ml" ?
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 194 guests
