Ain't this how it goes?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Ain't this how it goes?
Guess who went to the vet today, just to make sure all is OK even though she hasn't eaten for 5 months?
That would be Xyla.
Set aside a bit of the meat from our dinner, threw in some chopped veggies,
guess who cleaned her plate?
Gobbled it down like she hadn't seen food for 5 months!?
That would be Xyla.
That would be Xyla.
Set aside a bit of the meat from our dinner, threw in some chopped veggies,
guess who cleaned her plate?
Gobbled it down like she hadn't seen food for 5 months!?
That would be Xyla.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Edward
- Carpe diem

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Texas
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Ain't this how it goes?

Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- KellyandLindsey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 236
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Denver Colorado
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
That A relief!
doesn't that make you feel so good. I hope she keeps on eating 
doesn't that make you feel so good. I hope she keeps on eating 
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
yep,i reckon she will eat well now ,bulking up ready for another brumation,or for developing bubs if shes been covered,its weird how sometimes they can just not show interest in food for that long
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
Glad to see she is being nice and letting you stop worrying about her!
What did the vet say?
What did the vet say?
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
hahahaha........she looks so satisfied with herself, peeking out of her hide with the food plate cleaned beside her
slutet gott allting gott
(mat är gott)
slutet gott allting gott
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
Richard.C wrote:Or for developing bubs if shes been covered.

-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
I hate that I'm such a ninny, but, the fact that she wasn't eating wasn't the ONLY reason we went to the vet
The fact that I'm still only 3 years into BTS ownership, AND the fact that I've only had the grown 3 Meraukes for 5 months, AND we've dealt with pinworms recently, also went into taking them in for a check-up.
As much as I would love to jump into breeding, I'm almost glad nothing came of the pairings right after I got them. This gives me a chance to get used to Xyla under normal circumstances. Even though she mated in the fall, obviously nothing came of it =(?) not ovulating. Since I didn't KNOW whether she was gravid or not, I didn't brumate her in the winter, and because she wasn't eating and was loosing so much weight, I didn't let her breed in the early spring. HINDSIGHT: she was probably taking care of her own brumation even though I didn't lower her temps, and I should have tried breeding her in the spring.
Oh, well. We learn. Now I have much more time to study this and be in touch with as many people who will share with me, and give breeding a better go next season.
Vet pretty much just agreed with me; she may have lost a bunch of weight--but nothing alarming, she's still active and has good tone and energy. Keep trying everything. But now we KNOW she WILL eat
Only got fecals from J.J. and Xyla, but both were negative to any kind of parasite
As much as I would love to jump into breeding, I'm almost glad nothing came of the pairings right after I got them. This gives me a chance to get used to Xyla under normal circumstances. Even though she mated in the fall, obviously nothing came of it =(?) not ovulating. Since I didn't KNOW whether she was gravid or not, I didn't brumate her in the winter, and because she wasn't eating and was loosing so much weight, I didn't let her breed in the early spring. HINDSIGHT: she was probably taking care of her own brumation even though I didn't lower her temps, and I should have tried breeding her in the spring.
Oh, well. We learn. Now I have much more time to study this and be in touch with as many people who will share with me, and give breeding a better go next season.
Vet pretty much just agreed with me; she may have lost a bunch of weight--but nothing alarming, she's still active and has good tone and energy. Keep trying everything. But now we KNOW she WILL eat
Only got fecals from J.J. and Xyla, but both were negative to any kind of parasite

Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
No!!! She is still retaining the babies !!!!! 
Even if she only has one baby I'll be happy
Even if she only has one baby I'll be happy
- Scooter_in_Kindergarten
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Central Florida
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
That would be fun if she actually was having some li'l "bubs"
Glad to hear everything was good with her though, the color change was scary. I would have felt the same way.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
are female blueys capable of sperm storage???????
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
I hope so 

- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
Richard.C wrote:are female blueys capable of sperm storage???????
That has actually been discussed quite a bit, since it does occur in many reptiles. As far as I know, there is no proof that they can. That would take a female giving birth after NOT being with a male during the previous mating season. To this point, I have never heard anyone claim that they have had that happen.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
Susann wrote: HINDSIGHT: she was probably taking care of her own brumation even though I didn't lower her temps, and I should have tried breeding her in the spring.![]()
Coomassie does this. I've never changed his temps or altered his light period. I don't particularly want him to burmate because I couldn't breed even if I wanted to (which I don't). I've had him for two winters and both winters he just went down. No eating, no basking, no coming out, no nothing. In a couple of months he starts begging to come out and basking and we start feeding him again. It scarred me the first year. This year all I could think was "you lazy brat" while he slept 23 hours a day.
Cay T.
- Vegasarah
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 152
- Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
Rocket was having some issues with scales not shedding and totally going off his food and I actually made an appointment to see a vet about it. In November we had a totally unexpected issue where I put him in a huge 85 gallons tank ( takes up half the bedroom, spoiled skink!) and my dog somehow figured out how to walk across the furniture and get into the tank. I came home to find him trapped in the tank and Rocket had long scratches all down his back, like the dog had 'dug' him out.
Anyway, after treating that with antibiotics ( and moving the tank to s safer place) he totally stopped eating. Live prey, dog food, fruit... nothing. Turned his nose up at it, and his scales looked so horrible. Went through a shed and still those damaged scales where not going anywhere.
Made the appointment for later in the week on my day off... and I came home from work yesterday and not only did he shed totally with no issues, those bad scales came off, and he ate a huge plate of food for the first time in months!
Whew! So glad! I kept telling him that we where going to see Dr. Bivens and I think I scared him out of his skin, literally lol. He doesn't like the vet very much
Anyway, after treating that with antibiotics ( and moving the tank to s safer place) he totally stopped eating. Live prey, dog food, fruit... nothing. Turned his nose up at it, and his scales looked so horrible. Went through a shed and still those damaged scales where not going anywhere.
Made the appointment for later in the week on my day off... and I came home from work yesterday and not only did he shed totally with no issues, those bad scales came off, and he ate a huge plate of food for the first time in months!
Whew! So glad! I kept telling him that we where going to see Dr. Bivens and I think I scared him out of his skin, literally lol. He doesn't like the vet very much
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ain't this how it goes?
with the more tropical animals,eg northerns and indos ect,even if u keep heat up year round,if the background temp drops enough where they sense the outside coolness they can happily brumate,mine end up doing this,they go down the cool end of a 6x2x2 enclosure and stay there for 4 to 6 weeks before slowly starting to pop back out again to bask,drink and eventually wanting food again,mine sense the night coolness though as they get no night heat,but days still have a hot basking spot at one end of the enclosure
with indo types,perhaps when they first sense coolness it gets them in the mood,but as it cools more they go into brumate mode so back out of the mood,then on warm up in the mood again,from what i see they seem to go in and out of the mood at any time,are they toeyier than other forms or is it they respond to subtle differences in temp/humidty to get in the mood
with indo types,perhaps when they first sense coolness it gets them in the mood,but as it cools more they go into brumate mode so back out of the mood,then on warm up in the mood again,from what i see they seem to go in and out of the mood at any time,are they toeyier than other forms or is it they respond to subtle differences in temp/humidty to get in the mood
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests


