Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone else had had this issue. I often take my BTS's outside with me for a bit of a sun bake, and have discovered that when I do the bird community around me goes crazy!!
The birds start chirping loudly and gathering around closer in the trees. Then they start to dive down, even with me sitting there!! I can have sometimes 20 or more birds around me in the trees! They are mostly Indian minors.
I understand the birds are probably scared of the lizards, but it shocks me how upset the birds get so quickly !!
So I now put the lizards in a large mesh enclosure when I take them out, just in case I'm not quick enough to protect my babies from the swooping. Just found the whole thing interesting lol.
Attack of the birds
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Crazy76
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am
- Country:
- Location: Sydney NSW
Attack of the birds
1 Eastern Blue Tongue (Oz) and 2 Shinglebacks (Neiko and Kali)
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Attack of the birds
ive seen magpies and miners do it to wild ones to,id say more when nesting,perhaps they think the lizards are a threat to there nests/nesting area,so they are trying to scare them off,lace monitors frequently feed on nestlings,eggs ect,and are quite often copping the same thing from birds
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Attack of the birds
Indian Mynahs will mob and peck out the eyes of a bluey. They are a nasty natured introduced species of bird responsible for many of our indigenous species now being classified endangered. Don't encourage them into your yard or you will not get rid of them and other species will avoid being in their presence.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Attack of the birds
Magpies, crows, jackdaw, rook.
I have so many of them in my garden and all around, most of them trying to build nests and make the eggs hatch right now.
There is no such thing as a bird wary of a human if a predator reptile is in the area. birds are much quicker and more agile, and dont really fear you - they just like to stick to their own business all the time they can. but if they can eliminate a treat, they will do so swiftly. Especially if they have babies at that moment.
if you see one of the four mentioned birds that are two or more, guard the bluey.
other predator birds are incredibly shy around here so i dont have problems with them.
not saying everyone should be as wary abour birds around the reptile exploring the grass outdoors. just saying i wouldnt leave my bluey alone around here with those particular birds. they have no fear in large numbers and can even compose a strategy for taking out a prey animal like mice or invading crow birds. (i spend days watching them for hours at a time lol)
I have so many of them in my garden and all around, most of them trying to build nests and make the eggs hatch right now.
There is no such thing as a bird wary of a human if a predator reptile is in the area. birds are much quicker and more agile, and dont really fear you - they just like to stick to their own business all the time they can. but if they can eliminate a treat, they will do so swiftly. Especially if they have babies at that moment.
if you see one of the four mentioned birds that are two or more, guard the bluey.
other predator birds are incredibly shy around here so i dont have problems with them.
not saying everyone should be as wary abour birds around the reptile exploring the grass outdoors. just saying i wouldnt leave my bluey alone around here with those particular birds. they have no fear in large numbers and can even compose a strategy for taking out a prey animal like mice or invading crow birds. (i spend days watching them for hours at a time lol)
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Attack of the birds
Blueberry attracted a hawk or eagle once... Scary.
In the spring when the baby robins are hatching and I take him outside the robins often make alarm calls to one another.
In the spring when the baby robins are hatching and I take him outside the robins often make alarm calls to one another.
- Crazy76
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 am
- Country:
- Location: Sydney NSW
Re: Attack of the birds
Oh my god a hawk!! That is scary!
Good to know I'm not going crazy in thinking the bird community goes crazy whenever I am outside with them lol. At first I thought I was imagining it. Yeah I noticed the birds had zero fear of me, that's when I decided to get the mesh cage, not going to take any chances.......and a hawk.....omg!
Good to know I'm not going crazy in thinking the bird community goes crazy whenever I am outside with them lol. At first I thought I was imagining it. Yeah I noticed the birds had zero fear of me, that's when I decided to get the mesh cage, not going to take any chances.......and a hawk.....omg!
1 Eastern Blue Tongue (Oz) and 2 Shinglebacks (Neiko and Kali)
- anchietae
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Western Washington, USA
- Contact:
Re: Attack of the birds
Linnea wrote:There is no such thing as a bird wary of a human if a predator reptile is in the area. birds are much quicker and more agile, and dont really fear you - they just like to stick to their own business all the time they can. but if they can eliminate a treat, they will do so swiftly. Especially if they have babies at that moment.
So true!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 165 guests
