I figure this is probably normal but...

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby neurotic88 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:44 am

When Jarvis basks on his flat rock, he lifts up all of his legs, looks like he's going belly surfing lol.

Does anyone else have a skink that does that?

It's kinda funny looking actually.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

The rock may be too hot. The pads of the feet are thin and sensitive compared to the belly (which will only notice burning once it's through the top layers of scale).
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby Katrina » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 am

I've seen this with my guys. Check the temps, if they are good then don't worry. It is normal, some BTS seem to do this more than others. :)
neurotic88
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby neurotic88 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:06 pm

His basking rock temps are generally between 95-98 degrees, sometimes it spikes up to 102ish but then I put it back to 97.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Those temps sounds good, so it's probably just a skink thing :) Now take some pictures of it happening.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby Richard.C » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:56 pm

dont think ive ever seen tiliqua do that,though have seen arms and legs more just laying back when basking,would love to see a pic if u can

the smaller forms of monitors ive kept do it all the time,but have a high temp basking area
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: I figure this is probably normal but...

Postby Katrina » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm

A couple of mine do this quite often. The surfing analogy is good, like they are paddling out to catch a wave. Nemo used to do this all the time, maybe his feet were a bit sensitive from losing the toes or something. Maybe it is a Merauke thing, the superman arms when handling them seems to be a Northern thing... at least I haven't noticed it with Meraukes but 3/4 Northerns do it. :lol

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 236 guests