ID of skinks
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
ID of skinks
I was wondering how do you ID your skink (northern, eastern etc) - by color or other distinguishing characteristics?
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: ID of skinks
color,pattern some can be tricky,but you normally see certain traits in the species and sub species
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: ID of skinks
If you post a picture of a skink (even a picture you find on the forum somewhere), it would be easier to point out a list of things about that particular that identify it as what it is. Otherwise, it is hard to be very specific.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: ID of skinks
Practice. Practice, practice, practice. Then more practice 
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16120 Scroll down and have a look at some ID tips.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16120 Scroll down and have a look at some ID tips.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: ID of skinks
Guess it will need to be a pic. I was told my "guy" was a common eastern (like I would know the difference)...but by comparing him to pics he looks like an IJ
Looks like I could have asked "how to you get to Carnegie Hall"...practice practice practice
Looks like I could have asked "how to you get to Carnegie Hall"...practice practice practice
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: ID of skinks
Well, easterns are sometimes refered to as "commmon blue-tongue lizard" in Australia where they are numerous, but they are not nearly as common in the U.S. Without seeing you skink at all, I can say there is a good chance that it is I.J. as you suspect because I.J.'s are more common here in the U.S. I.J.'s and easterns are both very variable though, and they can look extremely similar, especially in pictures. It is very possible that you do actually have an eastern. I am interested to see it now!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Edward
- Carpe diem

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Texas
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: ID of skinks
lol edward and hello there
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: ID of skinks
Alright, according to pic #3 of the I.J. pics here Skeeter is an I.J.! Except for the coloration and "heftyness" of the one in the pic, that is Skeeter - definately. So, this is a common guy in the U.S? Dosen't matter - love him anyways
And here in WI - he is definately uncommon. But fret not my friends, as soon as I get my digital camera (and figure it out) a friend here has told me I can send them to her and she will post them for me.
Hopefully I am right in the ID
Hopefully I am right in the ID
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- skeetersmom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am
- Country:
- Location: Milwaukee WI USA
Re: ID of skinks
Skeeter has been positively identified as an I.J. Just wish I would procounce it! If any one would like to see the pics - they are titled "Say hello to Skeeter". If anyone has an idea if Skeeter is a male or female - not sure if you can tell just by looking - please let me know. He is 12" from nose to vent (if that helps). I would just like to say "he" or "she" and be correct.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: ID of skinks
In order to have a guess at sexing we would need a birds-eye picture looking straight down and Skeeter showing the entire body and tail. If you can get a pic or two that show that we should be able to give a decent idea. Some are almost impossible to visually sex and some are quite easy. 
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 202 guests

