Has anyone tried using a leash for their BTS?
I'm guessing they just walk right out of them with their streamlined bodies, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a type that works?
I'm not trying to walk mine like a dog or anything; I just want something like a harness for when we go out to the park in case he slipped off my shoulder or a dog ran up or something.
Leash?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Leash?
1 Northern BTS
-
serkho
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Russia
Re: Leash?
My wife thinks ferret harness should work. Although my skink is too small to try this out.
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Leash?
They make reptile harnesses, we used them at the zoo I worked with. No animal could be shown without some sort of leash/harness thing going on. Though I am not sure if the zoo made them or if they bought them. I have also been looking and wondering if anything has been made or what works.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Leash?
Ah interesting, What type did you guys use at the zoo?
I did buy one leash that has a leather pad with 2 holes for the arms, but I bought it a little big since I know he'll grow into it. Our first few attempts he just walked right through it lol.. maybe the iguana style is better since they are only rope.
I'll have to check into the ferret style, that would make sense because they are streamlined too
I did buy one leash that has a leather pad with 2 holes for the arms, but I bought it a little big since I know he'll grow into it. Our first few attempts he just walked right through it lol.. maybe the iguana style is better since they are only rope.
I'll have to check into the ferret style, that would make sense because they are streamlined too
1 Northern BTS
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Re: Leash?
Ferret ones dont go small enough for around the neck
If anything, the thin guinea pig/rat rope ones with the clips that just get stuck through the rope, no holes or anything, would be all I could think would work.
However, I am greatly against the use of harnesses to prevent falls, and carrying them on ones shoulder in the first place - Why not just carry them on your arms? Imo, if he were to fall, the sudden pull of the harness just seems like it could potentially cause trauma. An animal like a ferret is made to be flexible, to be carried by the scruff of the neck etc, so could easily take the occasional fall. Plus unlike a bluey, they are capable of greater gripping and balance. Where as a bluey isnt. They are made for walking on the ground, if they were to fall from something, it would be slipping off a rock, then slipping on the ground - No suspending from anything. This is completely my opinion, but to me it just seems like it could potentially hurt them is its something their body is not made to do.
However, I am greatly against the use of harnesses to prevent falls, and carrying them on ones shoulder in the first place - Why not just carry them on your arms? Imo, if he were to fall, the sudden pull of the harness just seems like it could potentially cause trauma. An animal like a ferret is made to be flexible, to be carried by the scruff of the neck etc, so could easily take the occasional fall. Plus unlike a bluey, they are capable of greater gripping and balance. Where as a bluey isnt. They are made for walking on the ground, if they were to fall from something, it would be slipping off a rock, then slipping on the ground - No suspending from anything. This is completely my opinion, but to me it just seems like it could potentially hurt them is its something their body is not made to do.
- NennaMeerkat
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 am
- Country:
- Location: Fort Worth Texas
Re: Leash?
Nae wrote:Ferret ones dont go small enough for around the neckIf anything, the thin guinea pig/rat rope ones with the clips that just get stuck through the rope, no holes or anything, would be all I could think would work.
However, I am greatly against the use of harnesses to prevent falls, and carrying them on ones shoulder in the first place - Why not just carry them on your arms? Imo, if he were to fall, the sudden pull of the harness just seems like it could potentially cause trauma. An animal like a ferret is made to be flexible, to be carried by the scruff of the neck etc, so could easily take the occasional fall. Plus unlike a bluey, they are capable of greater gripping and balance. Where as a bluey isnt. They are made for walking on the ground, if they were to fall from something, it would be slipping off a rock, then slipping on the ground - No suspending from anything. This is completely my opinion, but to me it just seems like it could potentially hurt them is its something their body is not made to do.
Not to say you aren't correct in not holding them on your shoulder or using a leash/harness to prevent a fall, but I watched a nature documentary today about a guy who was studying lizard mating behaviours on a certain specie of lizard. He had to catch the little buggers to study them and being cautious wild lizards he came up with a really neat way. He would make a noose of sorts with a fishing pole and some sort of really loose fitting twine, thread, or something. Then he could catch them around the middle or around the neck with the length of the fishing pole with no harm to the animal what so ever. He said he had been doing it for like 15 years without any harm being done. And these certainly where no tree dwelling lizards or anything that could really climb ect.
I think lizards in general are more hearty to deal with drops and such than we could give credit for, or even to "hang" by a part of a leash for a moment or two until being gently lowered to the ground or scooped up.
But again not saying you are wrong to use the harness and such just to prevent a fall. I think they are much better used to keep a bluey safe while exploring the outside without the chance of getting away.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Leash?
I have used this reptile leash that this guy uses with his Savannah Monitor Lizard (Varanus Exanthamaticus). It works pretty well, but since skinks have such small legs they can wiggle out.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Leash?
I once had a dachshund. One day my grandmother had bought him one of those whole body leash things that were completely escape-secure.
the dachshund thought otherwise, and pulled his small legs in under his body and jumped out of it.
now, i havent ever had litchie on a leash, but i imagine no matter what you use he will do just like that. ive seen him crawl into small spaces just the same way too, like the customized bag i made, he can without problem get through the 4.5 x 4 (cm) hole.

this topic needs images of what you are describing. there are so many odd types of leashes that are not available here so i get very confused. im sure some of you havent seen guinea pig, ferret or bunny leashes, right? (or am i the only one .__.)
the dachshund thought otherwise, and pulled his small legs in under his body and jumped out of it.
now, i havent ever had litchie on a leash, but i imagine no matter what you use he will do just like that. ive seen him crawl into small spaces just the same way too, like the customized bag i made, he can without problem get through the 4.5 x 4 (cm) hole.

this topic needs images of what you are describing. there are so many odd types of leashes that are not available here so i get very confused. im sure some of you havent seen guinea pig, ferret or bunny leashes, right? (or am i the only one .__.)
Last edited by Linnea on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Leash?
BTS are pretty much like snakes when they want to be. They can tuck up their legs to become extremely streamlined and slide right out of leashes. You can use a leash to generally keep them close but don't trust it to keep them contained. They can slip out quickly and easily.
And yes, don't let skinks up high without holding them securely. There have been cases where skinks have fallen and been very hurt (broken bones/back) after a fall from someone's shoulder. While they do like sitting up high you should always have a hand on them to keep them from falling off.
And yes, don't let skinks up high without holding them securely. There have been cases where skinks have fallen and been very hurt (broken bones/back) after a fall from someone's shoulder. While they do like sitting up high you should always have a hand on them to keep them from falling off.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- LarissaLurid
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 762
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Leash?
I feel like a harness would never work for a BTS. They have such short, small legs already that I'm sure they can slip out of anything. Plus I've seen how mine tucks his right into his body (like both his back legs for ex while "slithering" through grass sometimes. I have a very strong feeling they would just wiggle right out. I've tried the idea with my rats before too, but it's the same idea with them, short legs don't work well with harnesses. I feel like it's almost close to trying to put a harness on a snake with how similar a BTS body is. 
1.0 Merauke Blue Tongue Skink (Caipora)
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
TONS of other pets, listed on my page.
- SFBlueTongue81
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 85
- Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:48 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Leash?
Thanks for the input everyone.
I should have clarified; I would only have it on my shoulder while sitting on the grass. He usually always goes up there I think because it's the highest spot. I'm more concerned about needing to get him out of harms way, we have a leash law in the city but rarely crazy homeless people don't have dogs on leashes, so I'm just trying to be safe with a backup plan.
We don't have backyards so this is really the only chance to take him outdoors for sun by going to the park so I'm trying to figure out how to make it possible. The one I have now is a complete harness that goes around his midsection but he's still a little small, I'll try some of the other options suggested
I should have clarified; I would only have it on my shoulder while sitting on the grass. He usually always goes up there I think because it's the highest spot. I'm more concerned about needing to get him out of harms way, we have a leash law in the city but rarely crazy homeless people don't have dogs on leashes, so I'm just trying to be safe with a backup plan.
We don't have backyards so this is really the only chance to take him outdoors for sun by going to the park so I'm trying to figure out how to make it possible. The one I have now is a complete harness that goes around his midsection but he's still a little small, I'll try some of the other options suggested
1 Northern BTS
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests
