Hi,
While I don't quite own a blue tongue yet, I am trying to learn as much as I can and hopefully get everything set up before I get my blue tongue.
I was planning to buy all the tank/gear/equipment at once from the pet shop that knows what they're talking about all at the same time, but I have just bid on this tank via TradeMe (think EBay). I know that I will have to add some equipment, like a light for a basking spot, but would appreciate if other people could have a look and let me know what else I would need, and whether it is actually suitable. I have read the care sheet (more than a few times!), but want to make sure that I get things right especially as this will be my first foray into reptiles.
Things I am worried about are that the sides and back are all solid (care sheet says they are happier when they can see out all the sides or something similar?), the roof looks just like chicken wire which surely would let heat out, and I'm not sure how to attach lights to the roof. Really I know I should have thought about these things before I bid, but its such a good size for such a small price!
Here is the link to the page, thanks in advance,
Amy
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =460373020
Newbie question about tank set up
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
amb44
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Zealand
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Newbie question about tank set up
A cage that is solid black on three sides is good. It makes the skink feel secure.
For the top, you could cut a piece of wood to fit the top, then install the lighting. I'm not too sure about how to install the lights so I can't help you there. If you do put the wood on top you will need another source of ventilation. You could put vents on the side of the cage.
For the top, you could cut a piece of wood to fit the top, then install the lighting. I'm not too sure about how to install the lights so I can't help you there. If you do put the wood on top you will need another source of ventilation. You could put vents on the side of the cage.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Newbie question about tank set up
definatly easily big enough,u could lose a juvie in there,nothing wrong with a bit of ventilation either,you can always cover some of it if u need to,only issues with cages that size is heating them,especially fo a predominatly ground dwelling animal,if u win it,ditch all the substrate and get new stuff,give cage a good clean ect,just in case there bluey died of some disease,or theres mites or anything in there
if u can heat it good blueys would love it in there,u could make raised bits to for basking ect,i think covered backs and sides are better,as open all round can stress them,especially nervous ones
if u can heat it good blueys would love it in there,u could make raised bits to for basking ect,i think covered backs and sides are better,as open all round can stress them,especially nervous ones
-
Clowesia
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:17 am
- Country:
- Location: New Zealand
Re: Newbie question about tank set up
Oh, fellow kiwi! :] I just got my bluey baby from a breeder in Kaitkati. x] Anyway! I'd suggest looking at aquariums section on trademe, they have lovely big glass tanks that would be ideal, they're generally a bit cheaper too. You can paint the side black for a better finish/security/heat retention and many of them come with lids. Also some of the reptile stuff here is a bit expensive, I'd suggest checking out amazon to help furnish your tank, the stuff is about $20 cheaper a lot of the time, even with shipping costs.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Newbie question about tank set up
Whilst the length and depth are generous the height may prove somewhat of a drawback in maintaing good temperatures. 90cms deep is going to require some substantial wattage in any overhead heat source. My enclosures are fully melamine coated board with the exception of the front sliding glass doors. They are only 45cms high and the solid top allows mounting of the electrics on the inside, greatly reducing the size lamps needed.
I think looking around a bit more will probably result in a more suitable enclosure for a BTS. Without meaning to sound too rude, the workmanship in that enclosure looks as though it may have been built by the three little pigs.
I think looking around a bit more will probably result in a more suitable enclosure for a BTS. Without meaning to sound too rude, the workmanship in that enclosure looks as though it may have been built by the three little pigs.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
amb44
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 49
- Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: New Zealand
Re: Newbie question about tank set up
Thanks everybody for your input. The more I thought about the more I regretted making a bid as it is really just too big. Luckily for me I got outbid 
I have found a place that makes custom size fish tanks, so am planning to order one 4ft long, 2 ft wide and 1.5ft high.
Clowesia - i was going to get my skink from that breeder, but they are no longer advertising. There are some young babies in the Manawatu region, or some 4 month olds near me so at least I still have options
Did you get a fish tank from TradeMe? If yes, can you tell me how, or post a pic of your set-up? I am having a lot of trouble visualising where and how to place the lighting and ventilation.
Thanks again everyone,
Amy
I have found a place that makes custom size fish tanks, so am planning to order one 4ft long, 2 ft wide and 1.5ft high.
Clowesia - i was going to get my skink from that breeder, but they are no longer advertising. There are some young babies in the Manawatu region, or some 4 month olds near me so at least I still have options
Thanks again everyone,
Amy
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 223 guests
