Page 1 of 1
nails
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 pm
by sarah
what does everyone ues to trim there babys nails?How to smooth them out?
Re: nails
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:00 pm
by Katrina
You can trim their nails carefully with nail clippers or the special cat / dog ones or file them down gently with a nail file. I find if you keep enough rough / scratchy surfaces in the enclosure like slate rock and drift wood, then climbing over those will naturally wear down the nails and you don't have to worry about it at all.

Good luck!
Re: nails
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm
by Jeff
I use either dog/cat nail cliippers, or just human nail clippers when necessary. Either way it's pretty quick and easy to trim them up.
Re: nails
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 pm
by Nae
Also, be aware that within the nail is a 'quick', or a vein of blood that can be quite painful (and even deadly to small animals) when cut. If your skink has clear nails, its perfectly easy to avoid, but if his nailes are dark, then I would recommend just cutting the tips or even just giving them a rough surface to walk on~
Re: nails
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:34 pm
by PlinkoPachinko
Plinko actually behaved pretty well when I attempted to clip his nails. His front nails were pretty trim already, but his fat lazy skinkness doesn't use his hind legs as much so I had to trim them. I actually used toenail clippers lol.
